Close

Default An EFI fuel tank with a mechanical fuel pump

Seems simple enough, but I want confirmation. I'm replacing my tank do to a bad dent, 83, and I have future plans to run some sort of efi, mod motor swap, etc.

Instead of replacing the tank twice, can't I just block off the center hole, and use my current pick up tube? As long as it is, I'm not certain it'll fit in the efi tank. Baffled?!?!? I'm not sure. A search didn't give me a definite answer to this.

once i did a carb swap on an '87 Mustang. I used the EFI hanger, took the pump off and just put a piece of fuel hose going to the bottom of the tank where the pump was. I used the EFI fuel lines too. I took the feed line and ran it to the mechanical pump and capped off the return line. So you could do something like that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You know Brad, looking at pics of efi tanks, I'd bet dollars to donuts, that an efi tank is definitely different (baffled) That you would indeed need to run the efi pickup and just run lines like you did. On my carb tank, my float extends halfway thru the tank. And I think the float on the efi's is in the center.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I was going to do similiar swap and spoke with a tech guy at glens performance

I was interested in the sleeper tank not because of the sleeper part but the non race car bungs hanging down was not what I wanted

A efi aero tank with a (good) regulator and the stock intank fuel pump for the EFI would work for a carb 5-7 psi range but I don't remember the entire details about that swap and I would think you would want a return line for the 200 plus psi to 6 I know it sounds crazy but the tech guy offered that advice
    I would call them and get accurate details I do believe there's info on there site too that may help you out for your question about fitment

The sleeper tank exits out of the lower right bottom and really clean install for around 400 (ouch) but ...

I changed the dash in my old 83 Capri and installed the interior, dash and all, from an 89 Mustang. In order to get the fuel guage to work properly I needed an 87_93 tank with the newer float. I believe I just ran fuel hoses in it. The pump sucks gas like soda through a straw anyway...