Close

Thread: Title Jumping

Default Title Jumping

Anybody have experience with this? Previous owner never registered car in his name after purchasing in 2013. Told me it was non-op registered with salvaged title. I checked California Dmv records, no non-op, has accrued $700 in fees. I picked up the 85 GT for $750 so the fees don't bother me too much. I can probably get the penalties excused. But transferring title might prove to be difficult. I have a bill of sale but that might not matter. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Like here in Kentucky, it's most likely back taxes owed for Non Registration per year. Pay the back Registration taxes and all should be good. They just want the Money. The $750 fine does seen extremely high though for a car not registered since 2013.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

"Skipping Title" is illegal in all 50 states. The states really do want "Their" registration and sales tax money.

Having said that this is done EVERY DAY all across the country by seller's either casual and professional. For those who make a habit of it it is called "Curbstoning" in the automobile industry. A none licensed person playing car dealer without a dealer's license. A illegal "Flipper" if you will! All you need is an "Open" title from the previous owner of the vehicle.

What is an "Open" title?

That is a title the previous owner has signed as the seller and has NOT been "Re-assigned" as required by law to the new owner by filling out the new owner transfer information on the back of the title. The line on the title for the "New Owner" information is left blank by the seller. The buyer can then either fill out their name on the title as the new owner OR re-sell the vehicle to the next buyer telling that buyer to fill in their name in the "Re-Assigned" new owner section on the back of the title. The original buyer of the vehicle has ILLEGALLY "Skipped" title.

The needed information you did not provide to us to help you is whether the person who sold the car to YOU had already "Re-Assigned" the title to them by filling out their name on the back of the title OR did that person from whom you purchased the car give you an "Open Title" with nothing filled out in the new owner "Re-Assigned" section on the back of the title.

Which is it???
    Last edited by vintageracer; 12-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

The US system of vehicle titles seems excessively complicated. I'm glad we have a much simpler vehicle registration system, no title, just need to have a plate if you want to use the car on public roads. You just need proof of ownership and insurance, as long as the vin is not logged in the databases as stolen, salvage or unrepairable.I bought my coupe in 89, it sat in pieces since then and I never registered it in my name. Walked into the registry office last week with my bill of sale and the last registration slip from the previous owner, ten minutes later I had a new plate for the car valid until 2018 for about $80. I have to admit though, I did expect that I might need a safety inspection first, but since it was last registered here in Alberta, it was not required.

The title laws were designed to prove ownership of a car, to make stealing a car less attractive and to protect the buyer from purchasing stolen property (that they'd have to return). Later, it was also there to protect buyers from a car that was totaled without their knowledge. Both were good reasons, though perhaps unnecessary these days IF there was a national registration process/database. Since here in the US all states have their own rules, we have the antiquated title approach. It works, but can be a pain in the butt...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt J View Post
    Since here in the US all states have their own rules, we have the antiquated title approach. It works, but can be a pain in the butt...
    Antiquated?

Depends on your point of view. State governments certainly do not think so!

Vehicle registration for private and commercial vehicles in the USA is the total responsibility of each state's government for vehicles domiciled within their state borders with the only exception being for Federal government vehicles. NO WAY in Hell will the states EVER give up that easy money grab!

With our new President you might see a lot more issues that are now the responsibility of the Federal government returned to each state's control. Maybe the new Congress will NOW understand the REAL & PURPOSEFUL duties of the Federal government and return to each state the right to govern themselves as determined by the LEGAL residents of each state.

That would be NICE!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 12-04-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I wasn't looking to get into a "states rights" argument here, nor to hijack the OP's purpose of the thread. Just saying that passing paper on a car is a bit old fashioned, and there are more modern ways of doing it, if all the states did it the same way. More a comment about the process not a political statement on my part.

When I lived in California years ago, it was common place to walk into DMV with the title, and a stack of bill of sales. I don't know how things work now, but back then it was all about revenue.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

I ran into something similar a couple years ago. I bought a car from a friend, never had it titled in my name, sat on the car for 5 years, decided to sell it. That's when I realized I lost the title. So, I called my buddy, who had since moved across the country, asked him to apply for a lost title. He did, received the title, signed it as the seller, proceeded to use the copy machine to send me a paper of his giant hand flipping me the bird, and I sold the car.

I wasn't about to pay for a title swap when the buyer was ready. But he did give me some strange looks. And, my friend joked he was taking me to court for stealing his car.

Sorry for such a delayed response. Realized today checking in for research, the tapatalk app I used to join the community doesn't send alerts on responses or new posts. Thought I had been snubbed. In response to members posts, the $700 in fees was dating back to 2009 I found out a few weeks after my post.
    The title has owner "A" that I never met, and me on the bill of sale. I am unsure if the previous owner "A" filed a release of liability. I have decided to file for a Surety Bond and hope for the best as I can't get ahold of the seller.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk