Close

Default Clutch won't disengage on 2.3L/4 speed - new cable

Hi,

I haven't used my red notch in a while, but tonight I wanted to go for a ride.

So I started the car, it ran just fine, them put it into reverse and it moved violently backwards, making a horrible noise.
    Then I realized the clutch is always engaged, if I don't press the pedal, I can put the car in gear and it will move forward. If I press the the pedal, I can only put it in reverse but it grinds before I can set it.

The cable is new-ish, I replaced it in august. Gears shifted smoothly. I have barely driven the car since then, and the last time I did was probably two months ago (yeah I know...). I didn't leave a gear on.

I've done a bit of research and this seems to be a common problem with broken quadrants, except mine is a '79 and doesn't have a quadrant...

Thanks

I had a clutch stick to the flywheel once, but it sat longer than a few months.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

FEP Super Member

You have a cover plate that is on the driver side I believe , you can remove it and see if the throw out bearing collar has broken .
    I had that happen on one of my fox mustangs .
    Drove find e the night before , next morning , was like you .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I had a good look through the cover, it looks all right in there. The throw out bearing doesn't look damaged.

I've noticed that the adjustement nuts on the cable are easily turned by hand. I doubt it but could a poorly adjusted cable force a clutch to stay on ?

FEP Super Member

yes it can,
    My throw out bearing looked ok, but when the pedal was pressed ,as I watched ,I could see it was fubar.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Default fork ok?

Been a while, but remember tightening up the end most nut to bring the clutch pedal up to where you like it.
    Then lock the setting down with the 2nd nut that is behind the first.
    Should not be able to move the nuts without tools.
    There should be no slack in the cable.

If the clutch release fork is damaged and loose, the clutch may or will not fully disengage when the clutch pedal is pushed in.
    May not be able to tighten cable correctly or at all.
    The two fork prongs on the pivot end have to be in the correct position on the ball stud in the bell housing.
    If one prong is broken, replace clutch fork.
    This can happen if the pivot ball has old, little, or no grease on it.
    Push on the clutch, one prong snaps, cocks the release fork and TO brg. I remember this made a click sound.

When i had the RAD trans in, the gear ground more times than not when shifting into the R gate. Normal i guess.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-03-2016 at 11:15 PM.