Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LTD LX Cobra

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Are you still running the factory K-member? Reason I ask is it looks like the camber is off a bit. I ran the factory K-member on mine for awhile, then swapped to one from my 90LX, and noticed the camber had more range. If you think of it next time you're under there measure from C/L to C/L of the front control arms forward most bolt. On the K-member now I get 22 1/4".
    Last edited by David Claflin; 03-30-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Yes I am using the Factory K-Member on the LTD. In the picture, the front end has not been aligned, so it may appear to be off. In the next couple months I plan on completing the project, currently working on welding in some sub-frame connectors using MM full lengths.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    Are you still running the factory K-member? Reason I ask is it looks like the camber is off a bit. I ran the factory K-member on mine for awhile, then swapped to one from my 90LX, and noticed the camber had more range. If you think of it next time you're under there measure from C/L to C/L of the front control arms forward most bolt. On the K-member now I get 22 1/4".
    Yeah, your right using the early stock V8 "K", and stock 89 control arms. I notice the wheels appeared to sit a little to far inside the fender and did seem to limit camber adjustment. I thought using the SN 95 spindles would move the wheels out more. Normally on the later V8 "K" member the wheels would stick out further.
    So instead of attempting to locate a later V8 "K" member, I used SN 95 control arms. I found this works better then using a later V8 "K' member, since the arms are longer I now have plenty of camber adjustment. The wheels also fit much better and I am now able to use coil over's without having to use a spacer. I did have to use SN 95 inner and outer tie rod ends, which work fine with the older rack and pinion (next upgrade will be to replace the rack with SN 95 and the MM steering shaft). In the rear, I am currently using 1 inch spacers to correctly line up the front and rear wheels.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I did install the MM sub frame connectors. The most obvious difference is they are a little too short, so to make up the difference I used the "Plates" from the SVE sub frame connectors (sold by LMR) I had for another car . These "Plate's" (pictured in the LMR link) actually covers the rear section where the end of the sub frame connector attaches, not sure if LMR sells these separately, but I'm sure they can easily be made.
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FULLSUBS/79...ame-Connectors
    The Fox body LTD has one other difference when installing the sub frame connectors, the seat mounts don't line up at all. 1 of the mounts can be attached with some modding, but the other 3 need new holes drilled. Other then these 2 issues the sub frame connectors installed fine.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12