Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I never said I wanted it completely fixed or painted. I just wanted realistic quote only for the labor to replace the frame rail, inner fender apron and radiator support. I will install a fender, bumper cover, and hood myself. The $1500-$1800 quote from Prestige Auto Body does not include removal of the frame rail, inner fender apron, and radiator support. I would think the labor charge for that would be $500-$800. So the total is around $2500. I think a crack head quote is anywhere between $2-4K.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Noble worries though, because I found someone who has done this type of work before, and is familiar with Mustangs. He works at a dealership, and has his own shop and equipment. He is actually working on it right now and charging me $700.

If you think that anything over $600 is too expensive, find one with a blown motor and swap everything over. Just judging by attitude, I could see how you might end up with "crack head" pricing, while most others would not.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    If you think that anything over $600 is too expensive, find one with a blown motor and swap everything over. Just judging by attitude, I could see how you might end up with "crack head" pricing, while most others would not.
    Yeah, I suspect after talking to you a bit most shops might quote the "don't need this headache customer" price. I am glad that you found someone who will work with you within your budget. Please keep us updated on the progress and repairs. Sounds like you were patient enough to find someone to work with you.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by ctvford View Post
    By saying that it looks pretty bad, you must work at a body shop, because you sound like some of the people that say this is a $4K repair for labor.

Someone needs to get their estrogen level's checked
    (jk be calm I had to say it I'm sorry don't shoot)

But for real
    http://midwestoxidation.com/testgbr/...ible/img11.jpg
    I had my fender backed into, I bought the part myself and took it to intertech. It cost about $600-800 ish in the end. I also had my trunk lid and wing replaced at the same time, so hard to say. I have the numbers somewhere...
    Last edited by GliDeThuNDeR; 12-19-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Noble worries though, because I found someone who has done this type of work before, and is familiar with Mustangs. He works at a dealership, and has his own shop and equipment. He is actually working on it right now and charging me $700.

Glad to see you are getting it done for that cheap.
    There is no way that frame work gets done that
    cheap around here though, but everything around
    costs 2 or 3 times what it should.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Super Member

I look at the price , and ask my self about my skills .
    I have 40 years building , and every day is on the job learning .
    Experience cost money.
    Body shops have a lot of overhead , and that means more money , along with the man's wages .

So ask yourself this question, would you want some one to low ball you at your trade?
    Probably not
    Do you want inferior workmanship ?
    Probably not .

You get what you pay for in the end .
    And I have also noticed the attitude of the previous posts , not what would be considered friendly .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I wouldn't consider this a bad hit. All the damage is forward of the strut tower. If it involved the strut tower, and tweaked the suspension, then I would agree.

I would. The most important and cheaper fix is the functional fix, not the form ($$$) fix. Verifying the car is square and true with a pull. The rest of what you're talking about wanting are your choices, not absolute necessities for function, and are cosmetics and for your interpretation of peace of mind. Unless you do things yourself, or a buddy or a member here graciously offers to help ya out, you're at the mercy of whoever you're talking to (that's running a business, not a charity), and what their price is. Is everybody honest? Hardly. Is every body shop familiar with restoration type work like this? Hardly... and all kinds will give you the "go away" price, and yeah that's not cool, but it is what it is. I saw elsewhere in the thread that you found somebody that won't charge you an arm and a leg, so that's cool. Good luck with it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

The bad news - Hate to say it, but that strut tower looks folded up top too. Repairable most likely but there is time with a portapower or frame machine needed.

I agree - start by pulling it. If it's not a show car, section in the frame piece and weld it up. If you like, body work what's visible before you reapply undercoat. Pound out or replace everything else needed and forget about it.

The obvious - not trying to be a jerk in saying it but ..... I think I would not stop on the repairs until I've also installed much better brakes.

Outlook corrections - It sucks when mishaps cause us to go backwards with our rides but it's also a great opportunity to throw some dollars at upgrades. If you struggle to see it this way take a step back, stop, and think. If you can't come around I recommend selling the car to another forum member that sees this.

Further damage - I greatly dislike seeing awesome people being talked to in a nasty way. Offering to ship hard to find parts across the country at cost is a standup move by an awesome person. I would be honored to have such a friend and you just missed the chance by bad behavior.

Bigger picture you have offended such a person along with just about everyone else who has read your response to his post and you have yet to really apologize! Total punk moves on your part. On what planet was that proper and correct behavior?!

Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. You asked for help, it was offered, and now you're a jerk about it. Go figure out why we are offended. Get a grip. Your crashed car is not our problem, it's yours. Own it.

Not my circus
    Not my monkeys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12