Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk Light

Default Trunk Light

My 84 convertible doesn't have and appears to never have had a truck light.

Im wondering if it was stock on other foxbody stangs and if theres a kit or set up I can get or take off another car to get some illumination in the trunk of my car?

Factory on my '86, mercury switch, trunk light. Hit the auto wrecker.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Funny but I been Googling and searching ebay and I cant even produce a search result let alone find a used switch. Can you post a pic of yours so I can see what it looks like?

Is it like this one for an 86 Taurus?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-89-NOS-...25.m3641.l6368
    Last edited by fgross2006; 11-23-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Funny but I been Googling and searching ebay and I cant even produce a search result let alone find a used switch. Can you post a pic of yours so I can see what it looks like?
    Sure, I'll get pictures tomorrow.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Sure, I'll get pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks

Is it like this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-89-NOS-...25.m3641.l6368

No, not like that one.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

No, not like that one.

OK lets see yours and ill continue searching online for something. Let me know if you are able to find a part number on it.

Thanks again

A couple of years ago, I was looking for a bulb for my underhood light at U-Pull-&-Pray, and every Ford had had both the trunk and hood lights ripped out. I even checked the GM section and found the same thing. I was thinking that they were removing the socket/switches before the cars hit the yard, because of environmental reasons.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was looking for a bulb for my underhood light at U-Pull-&-Pray, and every Ford had had both the trunk and hood lights ripped out. I even checked the GM section and found the same thing. I was thinking that they were removing the socket/switches before the cars hit the yard, because of environmental reasons.
    Yeah I think so. I saw an article from Florida about keeping mercury switches out of their junkyards.

Im wondering if I can set up a homemade gadget with a plunger switch like is in the doors?

There's always the pin-switch '87-93 style. I plan to retrofit that setup in my car.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    There's always the pin-switch '87-93 style. I plan to retrofit that setup in my car.
    the problem is Im not finding anything related to trunk light or trunk light switch in my searches. Its as if they don't exist.

I have an even. I'll scan it for you later

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I you want to "frankenstein" it and make a mercury switch, Head to your local used building supplies place and hit the isle with the old thermostats. Lookk ong enough and you may find one still with the mercury filled glass tube.

The rest is just mounting and wiring.

I've done it before, works pretty good as a tilt switch and whatnot....

I don't know about the Mustangs, but when I ordered my Zephyr in 1978 the trunk light was included in an option called "Light Group".
    I did not get this option and ordered the trunk light and ash tray lamp from the dealer later. I think this group included the map light, ash tray light, hood light, trunk light, glove-box light and rear door interior light switches. I did add them all in later years.

The trunk light harness that came was also shipped with another license plate light harness. They were connected.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

If it helps you searches, it looks like Ford calls it a "luggage compartment light" rather than a trunk light to make things more complicated for you.

Name:  IMG_20161125_092843004.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  1,000.6 KB

interestingly, it looks like the pin switch was only used for the hatch. The others used a mercury switch. My parts car was a hatch, so i have a pin switch to put into my car. There are a couple of nice flat areas on the trunk lid next to the latch, so i don't foresee any problems making the pin switch work.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm pretty sure that my '88 vert uses the Mercury switch.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I know we talked via text just a bit, but a couple of us had this discussion a few years back at a car show.

on the hood, we thought maybe the little brass clip at the passenger side firewall was a ground that would light the hood...we never determined this for sure but there isn't a switch for the hood light that I am away of...maybe they don't come on unless the parking lights are on but that's an extra bulb burning all the time for no reason.

as for the trunk I haven't seen a trunk switch either. I have a harness for a trunk out at home and it has the light but I don't see a switch
    1981 T Top Coupe Sold
    1981 Coupe Pastel Chamois
    1987 LX Coupe 1 of 47 Sand Beige
    1965 F100 Crown Vic swapped 5.0 5 speed

FEP Power Member

The brass clip by the hood is for radio noise suppression. Cars with factory radio delete will not have the brass clip. About 85, radio became a standard feature so it's rare to see a car without it 85-93 (except for the comp prep SVO And cobra.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by 91svtcoupe View Post
    I know we talked via text just a bit, but a couple of us had this discussion a few years back at a car show.

on the hood, we thought maybe the little brass clip at the passenger side firewall was a ground that would light the hood...we never determined this for sure but there isn't a switch for the hood light that I am away of...maybe they don't come on unless the parking lights are on but that's an extra bulb burning all the time for no reason.

as for the trunk I haven't seen a trunk switch either. I have a harness for a trunk out at home and it has the light but I don't see a switch
    So I ordered the used harness with the light fixture. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows how this is supposed to be set up?

Info I saw on ebay says this harness is for the 3rd eye brake light and trunk light. My 84 had a 3rd eye on it when I got it. But its not stock and was spliced into the existing brake power line which makes 1 or both of the regular brake lights sometimes not light up. So Im hopeful I can solve 2 issues with this harness if I can just get a good diagram or photo showing how its supposed to be run.

Anybody?

I pulled that harness from the convertible I stripped. It had the Light Group. I don't remember seeing a switch. I bet it was part of the socket assembly. I can get a pic when I get home if you want.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Sorry about no pictures, my friend. My camera took a dump
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Sorry about no pictures, my friend. My camera took a dump

can you see the switch that triggers the light to come on? Is it in the light fixture?

By the look of the diagram i posted, the switch and light are a single unit.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I got an original trunk harness with the light fixture integrated in the wiring. I think it is part of the 3rd eye brake light set up.

Since my 3rd eye is aftermarket and not original wiring Im hoping I can integrate this into my set up and remove the but-spliced wiring I have now.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for any convert or notchback that shows the layout for the harness?

FEP Senior Member

I had to add a trunk wire harness back into my old '92 coupe, but the Chilton manual didn't have the wires right. I eventually just used a simple multi-meter to identify which lights were which via on/off voltage.

Here's the video of the work, if it can help.