Close

Default Workings on headlights and turn signals

Hello,

I am working on completely rewiring my 1981 mustang. The old wiring is all spliced and hacked up from the previous owner. I have a few questions about how the headlights and front turn signals work. When the switch is on low beams, does that mean only 2 of the 4 headlights come on or do they all come on all the time and just dim out when the low beams are turned on? And are the turn signals the orange lamps lower on the bumper?

Thanks

The outer lamps have two filaments: one low and one high each. The inner lamps have one filament: one high each. When the switch is in the low headlamp position only the low filaments (2 total) are illuminated. When the switch is in the high headlamp position only the high filaments (4 total) are illuminated. When the switch is in the flash-to-pass headlamp position all filaments (6 total) are illuminated.

The orange lamps on the side are marker lamps only. They illuminate solid when the headlight switch is in the 'park' or 'light' positions and they do not blink. The orange lamps in the front are marker and turn lamps. They illuminate solid when the headlight switch is in the 'park' or 'light' positions and they blink when the multi-function switch is in the left turn or right turn positions.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-23-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That's exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find the information anywhere and since my wiring is all messed up, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.