Close

Thread: 1984 Mustang GT

Default 1984 Mustang GT

Hello FEP,

I'm from Houston and have had my 84 GT since 07. It is my second car ever, as my first car - 86 Mustang coupe, 4 cyl 4 speed - was totaled in a car fire. Sad occurrence, but thankfully I found my next gem, 84 5.0 5 speed, 2 owner car for $1300 shortly after.

Have 3 older brothers, 2 of them with foxbodys and we were competitive with each other as most brothers are. Seeing as how both of them only had exhaust, pulleys, gears, and cai, I wanted to go well beyond that and saved up every penny I could to go h/c/i on a rebuilt-to-factory-specs 302. It is now about to be 2017, and I still haven't driven the car since I tore the motor down lol. I'm pretty OCD, so if I was replacing one thing, it would always snowball into another.

My brothers have now long sold their mustangs, but I still remain loyal to my garage queen Here are some pictures taken throughout the years, with further explanation later down:

The last picture is how she currently sits in the garage. Mechanically, I have gone as far as my skills, research, youtube videos, and books can let me go. Just waiting on the holidays to be over so I can send her in to have gears put in, do alignment since all of the suspension is brand new (and way off), and have them set the roller rockers since I can't figure out these stud mount rockers. I've seen and read all of the YouTube videos on the subject, but have yet to get them dialed in! At this point, I just want my car done Any questions, feel free to ask, and I look forward to giving ya'll updates and check out some of ya'lls rides as well.
    Last edited by Trailer Trash Racer; 11-21-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Looks as though it's going well. I hope you get it back from the shop all dialed in and ready to cruise!

FEP Super Member

My 84 is the same color, with gray interior.
    I have had mine since 02.
    I have already done an 8.8 swap with 3:73 gears, Sn95 front suspension, 5 lug swap , and built a 347, Edelbrock heads ,Comp Cams cam and supporting hardware , with roller rockers (mine are stud mount), Nitrous , on and on.
    About the only thing left stock is the original paint and interior , with the exception of the steering wheel that I got from member Whosnxt , and a rear seat delete that I built from an Rx7 .
    Now it is going to get efi.
    Nice you still have is , and hope it won't be a garage queen much longer.

I just noticed that yours is the half model , fog lights.
    Mine is the early model without .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 11-21-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Great story, great project. Hope you get it all dialed in shortly.

Looks good...what part of H-town?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Yes, definitely hoping on getting it to the shop and back soon!

@ashley roachclip: sweet! I think we may have gone in a similar direction, except for the stroker motor lol. Specs on mine is: rebuilt 302 with SRP standard bore pistons (resurfaced rods/crank), 650 edelbrock carb, air gap intake, msd dist/6al2/blaster 2, afr heads, comp cams xe268 with lifters/pushrods/rockers, bbk 1 3/4 long tubes, bbk x pipe, spintech 9000, sve/latemodelresto tail pipes, electric fans. Suspension: megabite Jr uppers, upr adjustable lca's, tokico hp shocks/struts, steeda sport coils, new balljoints/tie rods, poly swaybar endlinks, 87-93 front spindles, 8.8 rear with unknown gears. Interior: all factory except for a monster tach on the column with a hose clamp, and a triax shifter.

@jturbo: thanks!! I was 19 when I bought the car, now about to be 29 next month and married. Ultimate goal is to have a fun car to drive, and passing this on to whenever I have a first born with my favorite Mustang body style

@bwguardian: thanks! Have been in southeast Houston all my life 45 south.

Welcome to FEP!!! Great car and great color combo!!!!

Welcome to FEP from another 84 t-top owner. I'm in Clear Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Thanks Stangman & Saturn I work near Clear Lake, off of Bay Area. Been hovering the Show & Tell section and I'm getting excited to get mine rollin!

Didn't snap any pictures, but just installed new pads/rotors. Ya'll ought to know what they look like lol. Should be bleeding the brakes tomorrow, and this upcoming Friday I have an appointment at a local performance shop so they can install gears and get the motor running. After the car being down for almost 10 years, it's exciting.

And she is off to get a little work done! For my fellow Houstonians, the car is headed off to Chris Car Doc in Humble, where they are going to put in 3.55's/seals, set the valve lash on the stud mount rockers, do the rear brakes, bleed the brakes, and new trans fluid on the t5.

Once she comes back she'll need a few things taken care of before I can officially drive it. 10 years off the road and I'm actually a bit nervous lol.

Woot woot 84's for the win! Great looking car!
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Thanks!
    Let's see if you guys are able to view this: https://www.facebook.com/SerVal.1/vi...2620374707504/

She's back from the shop and finally running! They took care of setting valve lash, completely went through the rear end, and bled the brakes. Idle is a bit high and she's running pig rich. Prior to sending her to the shop I knew the water pump was leaking, so I'll be redoing that. Once finished, I'll go ahead and twinkle with the carb to get a base tune in until I'm able to put her on the street.

Hi guys, from the last time I posted I've still stayed busy in the garage. Ended up finishing the exhaust, messed with the carb a bit to at least get it to idle without burning my eyes, and just some other odds and ends. I'm able to drive the car around the block for now which has been awesome. Ordered two new front tires online today, and she'll need to get aligned right after. She also needs inspection/registration, a bit of wiring to finish the 3g conversion, a radiator flush cause she runs a tad warmer than what I'd like, and a carb rebuild wouldn't hurt. It's the same Edelbrock 650 that I bought new in 07.

Here's some pics from when I took it around the block earlier today.

Last edited by Trailer Trash Racer; 04-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Looks great and I see your little friend enjoys the t-tops

Lol she didn't want to hop on at first. Exhaust rumble scares the crap outta her haha

Looking good!!!

Nice looking fox body my friend, I too have an 84 1/2 GT T-Top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Story and a very nice mustang brother. Good job on gettting it running.

Do you have a rear bumper for it?

I love t-top mustangs. Cool deal having the fog lamp front bumper as well.

Thanks guys.
    @Davedacarpainter: I do not. From what I can gather, a lady bought this car new in 84, and was only inspected once before it fell off the map. My guess is she wrecked it and it wasn't repaired until 2000 I think, when it resurfaced again with new registration/inspection. I'm officially the third owner and I always knew it had been hit in the back, just didn't know how bad. You guys can view the ridiculous amount of bondo here:

I will feel more comfortable once both quarters are replaced, along with the rear rebar, metal tail light panel, rear bumper cover, and possibly the hatch. (Hatch has some rusting/rotting along the edge where the hatch panels are welded/pressed together.

Update: So I was able to drive it here and there, although I still had some work to do (tires, alignment, tags/inspection, and a leaky water pump). So I ended up doing the water pump, with a new high flow GMB unit, and it had a small leak. Re did it again, this time with a little RTV, leaked. Re did it again, with plenty of RTV, and I told myself if it leaked again, that I would redo some stuff.

- I'd probably go with a standard unit water pump
    - I'd buy the LMR water pump/timing cover bolt kit (since I was using a full thread hardware store bolt for the longest one)
    - & the biggest thing, I'd go full roller camshaft iso the Comp Cam flat tappet cam I had. (.509/.512 lift). New cam is quite a bit more aggressive, and should perform real well.

Well it leaked, so here we are:

Almost done with it, just have to do valve lash and do all the front bracketry/belt/etc
    Last edited by Trailer Trash Racer; 08-03-2017 at 03:13 PM.