Close

Question 84 thunderbird dual to single pump conversion?

I have purchased a Walbro 190lph fuel pump to take the place of my old in tank pump with plans to eliminate the external pump on the frame. To clear a dual exaust this needs to happen. While deleting the pump itself does not seem to bad of a job, I was unable to find background on the wiring aspect of this conversion. If anyone has done this to their fox chassis car and has any references for what needs to be done on the wiring side, help would be appreciated. More background on my vehicle: 84 thunderbird with 4 speed aod and 5.0 cfi.

Question 84 thunderbird dual to single pump conversion?

I have purchased a Walbro 190lph fuel pump to take the place of my old in tank pump with plans to eliminate the external pump on the frame. To clear a dual exaust this needs to happen. While deleting the pump itself does not seem to bad of a job, I was unable to find background on the wiring aspect of this conversion. If anyone has done this to their fox chassis car and has any references for what needs to be done on the wiring side, help would be appreciated. More background on my vehicle: 84 thunderbird with 4 speed aod and 5.0 cfi.

I wouldn't think you'd have to do anything. Cut and tape off the wires and go!

As for pump hanger surgery, you'll probably have to cut the metal tube that goes to the pump to make room for the taller high pressure pump.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Not sure if the depth of the tank will be enough as most of the sites have it listed as an 83-84 tank only. If it is then I would consider getting an in-tank pump hanger from an 85+ car that is already longer and should accommodate the longer pump. The shorter hanger can fetch a premium as they are hard to find for the people looking to do a complete restoration.

Hopefully some of our 'Bird brethren will chime in and give you a solid answer on this.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

When I went dual om my 84 Cougar CFI, all I did was relocate the frame pump to where the filter is in front of the tank and extend the lines. I have pics on my phone but not on my laptop unfortunately.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

double post
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

Just verify you have 12volts key on. It onlys switches on and off for half a second and the turns on when the engine is running. Ive heard you can replace the second fuelpump with a stock fuel filter. Ive only owned 86 up cars, but on my 86 there I tons of slack in the lines.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar