Close

Default Borg Warner 4 speed transmission drain plug and fluid

My '80 Capri RS Turbo has the Borg Warner 4-speed manual transmission. Can it be drained from the bottom tailshaft bolt? Also, what fluid(s) can be safely used in this tranny? It looks like it specs GL-4 fluid, and most gear oils are now GL-5. I have read that GL-5 is not ideal in manual transmissions due to the fact that it damages the brass parts.
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

I don't know about how to drain your trans but I have 1st hand experience with putting gl5 fluid in one spec'd for gl4 and it wasn't good. The thing didn't want to shift, lots of grinding as well. I drained it and put red line mtl in it and shifts smooth as if new. This was on an 06 elantra. If you don't feel like spending $50 for fluid on your trans, maybe check Walmart's store brand.

For anyone interested, and for future reference, the oil in this specific 4-speed can be drained via the bottom tailshaft bolt. There is ample room to remove the bolt and allow it to drain. It took just short of 2-quarts of oil to refill. I chose Sta-Lube GL-4 85w-90 oil since it was GL-4 spec, which, from my research, is what is needed in these transmissions. I got this oil from my local NAPA. Trans shifts a little better, I think. Never really shifted badly. The oil was a bit low, but what came out did not look too bad. My guess is that it was original fluid from 1980. I may try Redline MTL next time, which will not be anytime soon since this is a nice day and show car that won't see more than a few hundred miles a year, if that. I would have rather had a synthetic personally.
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

Bringing back this thread from the dead... does anyone have a suggestion of a synthetic oil that will suite my 4-speed transmission?
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

One brand of syn API GL-4 oil that was found:
    https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

Regular
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLRSL24229

"The main difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils is the amount of EP additives. ... GL-4 is suitable for hypoid gear service when they are under severe service but are without shock loading. • GL-5 is suitable for hypoid gear service under severe service and shock loads and not for use in a gearbox."
    GL-5 GEAR OILS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH GL-4 GEAR OILS. * The extreme pressure (EP) additives in most gear oils contain sulfur-phosphorus compounds that can be corrosive to certain “yellow” metal components such as copper and brass synchronizers."

https://www.google.com/search?q=api+...hrome&ie=UTF-8