Close

Default 1982 Capri RS 302 4 Speed

Hey guys,

I just bought this Capri last weekend and it's all kinds of cool - first Fox purchase! I've been coming the internet for weeks looking for a solid one. Someone was kind enough to add on sub frame connectors, a strut tower brace, upgrade to a 4 barrel 600 cfm Holley and throw on flowmasters.

I'm trying to understand the coding on the door card though, I tried to figure out through some of the resources on here but I'm starting to think the interior is not original. I don't mind I plan on turning it into a RallyX project, but if it IS original, or at least belongs in a Capri I'd consider removing it and selling the white/off white interior to someone who will keep it nice.

Thanks for any info!

Name:  1106161341b.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  203.7 KBName:  1106161341e.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  203.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 12.59.37 PM.png
Views: 264
Size:  979.1 KB

Does the VIN at the base of the windshield match the VIN on the door tag? Can you post a pic of the buck tag? Does it have any of the following options? How many miles on the odometer?

electric rear window defroster
    engine block immersion heater
    fingertip speed control (cruise control)
    interval windshield wipers (wiper switch/stalk had timed delay, in addition to normal off/low/high)
    light group (light: under hood, in glove box, in hatchback w/ switch)
    lower bodyside protection (rough textured paint below belt line moulding on doors)
    power lock group (power door locks, hatchback release button in glove box)
    power side windows
    premium sound system ("AMP PULL" knob to left of radio, amplifier beneath center of dash pad)

VIN
    1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    67 = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    X = VIN check digit
    C = 1982 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    631713 = 31,713th 1982 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 07/82 = July 1982 scheduled build
    GVWR - 3940 lb/1787 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2081 lb/943 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1884 lb/854 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0124 = 124 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0105 = 105 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 3D = Dark Blue Metallic
    DSO - 11 = Boston district sales office
    Body - 61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    Int Trim - DB = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (D), Wedgewood Blue interior color (B)
    A/C - [blank] = no air conditioner
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette tape player
    S - C = sunroof
    Ax - Z = 3.08:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok differential
    Tr - 4 = Tremec 'SROD' 4-speed manual overdrive transmission
    KK = front springs
    NN = rear springs
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Default Responses

For the interior, everything else is blue. Trim pieces, carpets, floor mats. The seats are definitely not "low back". Definitely making me think something isn't adding up here...

Thanks for your quick evaluation this is awesome!

Answers to your questions below:

Does the VIN at the base of the windshield match the VIN on the door tag? - yes it matches

Can you post a pic of the buck tag? - i didn't know this was a thing until I just googled it I'll have to check, happy to post it if it's there.

How many miles on the odometer? - just under 82,000. Pedal pads look like they are from the showroom, leads me to believe it may actually be true. Wouldn't be heart broken if it wasn't actual mileage though.

Does it have any of the following options? answers in red below

electric rear window defroster- yes
    engine block immersion heater - no
    fingertip speed control (cruise control) - no
    interval windshield wipers (wiper switch/stalk had timed delay, in addition to normal off/low/high) - I'll have to check
    light group (light: under hood, in glove box, in hatchback w/ switch) - I'll have to check
    lower bodyside protection (rough textured paint below belt line moulding on doors) - i think yes
    power lock group (power door locks, hatchback release button in glove box) - no
    power side windows - no
    premium sound system ("AMP PULL" knob to left of radio, amplifier beneath center of dash pad) - original stereo removed and a really bad poorly wired aftermarket one is in place.

High-back front bucket seats were not available in the Capri L, Capri GS, Capri RS, or Capri Black Magic. They were available only in the Capri [base]. With white/blue tu-tone interior the INT TRIM code on the door tag would have been "AQ". The 5.0L engine was not available in the Capri [base] in 1982.

So, it looks like the seats were swapped into the car.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Is this the tag you were looking for?

this was right near the top of the Radiator mounts

I believe it says:

NO 075
    DF ST
    HB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 2.44.30 PM.png
Views: 223
Size:  550.1 KB

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help this has been awesome.

Yes, that's the buck tag. Can you take a pic of the whole thing? Remove the Phillip's head screw and then loosen the "L" shaped bracket for the header panel, and the tag should be loose enough to remove.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until just now. I'll try and pop it off this weekend I intend to spend some time with the car anyhow and grab a full/better picture. I really do appreciate your help you've been incredibly knowledgable!

I'm going to try and get a better picture of the interior as well.

MercuryMan562,
    i just noticed you're in Canton, Michigan... I'm also in Canton...
    thats a very nice Capri! maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime!
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3L 200cid
    1979 Mustang 5.0L 302cid
    1977 Lincoln Versailles
    2013 Ford Focus SE

2004 Lexus RX330
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International Series convertible
    1993 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Touring Sedan L67 3800
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais International Series

I'll be sure to wave to fellow Fox's! Keep an eye out, it's going to be getting a new rear axle soon (upgrade to 8. and it's being set up for RallyX