Close

Default wiring harness plug identification?

Hello all, I got a 2.3 turbo project, and need help with the wiring to make it run "standalone", so I can run the engine basically just by giving the ECU power/ground. Its going into a VW sand rail buggy. I got the wiring schematics, but I am wondering if you can help me identify which plug is which from this picture?? I tried laying the harness on the motor and plugging things in, but it seems like there are a ton more plugs on the harness, then things to connect to on the engine, and I can only find 3 items that match up (distributor plug, TPS, the one next to TPS).

Thanks!

The fuel injector harness has what seems like an exra ground wire coming out of the tape? Does anyone know if thats supposed to be there?

Here is a view of the "rear harness" I guess? could only get 2 of the plugs to match up to anything...
    Last edited by yitzac1990; 11-06-2016 at 09:02 AM.

bump, anyone? even some kind of identification of each component/sensor on the engine itself would be a start

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Super Member

The extra ground @the injector harness is needed.
    At the back of your engine , the wire in sheating on the left(red end ) and the one on the right are coolant temp and oil pressure sensors ,
    You should have O2 sensor plugs there also I just can't see them well enough to tell which .
    I think you will find some of your charging system in the harness, and that may explain some if your extra connectors.
    I have not played with 4 cylinders for a while .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    just found out it is from a 1985 model year. are those wiring diagrams the same for Thunderbird cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    The extra ground @the injector harness is needed.
    At the back of your engine , the wire in sheating on the left(red end ) and the one on the right are coolant temp and oil pressure sensors ,
    You should have O2 sensor plugs there also I just can't see them well enough to tell which .
    I think you will find some of your charging system in the harness, and that may explain some if your extra connectors.
    I have not played with 4 cylinders for a while .

thanks for the info!

so that single wire I can just connect to and good engine ground? I would like to run as few sensors as possible to get this thing to run correctly. does this ECU need oil pressure input to allow the engine to start, or anything else crazy like that? I couldnt even figure out how this rear sub-harness plugs into the main harness, nothing seemed to match up. theyre all very weird round plugs that ive never seen before.

as for the charging system, i can figure out the wiring pinout for the alternator itself and just run a wire straight to my battery and whatnot
    Last edited by yitzac1990; 11-10-2016 at 12:10 PM.

so luckily a friend of mine had a 2.3 turbo harness from another 1985 thunderbird (supposedly). so he brought it over so I could compare to mine, and for some reason, almost none of the plugs were the same. the only plugs I found in common between the 2 harnesses (from the same exact car) was the ECU connector, distributor connector, and some other 3 wire gray plug. what gives?

I think i might as well trace every wire from the ECU connector to where it should go and just rewire everything. Does anyone have a layout of all the connectors/sensors/things on a 2.3 turbo motor so i know what is where, and what things I dont need to worry about? Or know where I can find something like that?

FEP Super Member

ECM does not need oil pressure to run .

Your other question I can not answer.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

found out some more info recently on this engine/harness. apparently the thunderbirds had multiple harnesses in the engine bay all interconnected, and interfacing with the engine. so I am going to just order a Ron Francis wiring harness, so I have a standalone harness already pre-made, instead of trying to mess with 30 year old wiring and whatnot. Thanks for the help everyone!