Close

Default New 2.3 turbo owner - need ID help

Hello, just got a ford 2.3 turbo motor with a project that I'm working on, and need some help identifying exactly what I have. The guy I got it all from said he pulled it from an 80's thunderbird, but forgot what year. Is it possible to tell from these pics what year car it may have came from?

"FH1396" stamped on lower passenger side

"E3Z......" cant make out the rest, on the upper passenger side

Also, if I remove the power steering pump completely, does anyone know the correct belt size/PN to run? also leaving the AC off.

bump, anyone?

If the serpentine pulley set up is original to the engine then I would guess 85 or 86.

Are there injectors in it? What color are they (green or brown?).

Assuming original configuration, based on the 4 square intake, and the non intercooled charge pipe, it would be 85.5 or 86 thunderbird, could also be a Merkur (valve cover makes it T Bird assuming it's original(

In the end, once you get past the VAM and injectors, and 4 square intake versus inline intake, it doesn't really matter.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Second pic is a partial VIN (last eight characters) but the last two numbers are not stamped enough to see. I might be able to figure out the two missing numbers if I look at the database later but I don't need to to be able to tell you that the engine is out of a 1985 Thunderbird.

F = 1985 model year
    H = Lorain Assembly Plant
    1396__ = 39,6__th 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Lorain Assembly
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-09-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Engine is from one of these nine 1985 TurboCoupes:

1FABP46W8FH139610
    1FABP46W9FH139616
    1FABP46W0FH139617
    1FABP46W8FH139638
    1FABP46W0FH139651
    1FABP46W2FH139652
    1FABP46W1FH139657
    1FABP46W7FH139680
    1FABP46W6FH139699

Probably made sometime in December 1984 or January 1985.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    Are there injectors in it? What color are they (green or brown?).

Assuming original configuration, based on the 4 square intake, and the non intercooled charge pipe, it would be 85.5 or 86 thunderbird, could also be a Merkur (valve cover makes it T Bird assuming it's original(

In the end, once you get past the VAM and injectors, and 4 square intake versus inline intake, it doesn't really matter.
    honestly im pretty color blind, so i proably couldnt tell you what color they are exactly. but yes the injectors did come in the engine. what is the VAM? and yeah the guy i bought it from said he got it from a thunderbird for sure, just forgot the year. Thank you for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Second pic is a partial VIN (last eight characters) but the last two numbers are not stamped enough to see. I might be able to figure out the two missing numbers if I look at the database later but I don't need to to be able to tell you that the engine is out of a 1985 Thunderbird.

F = 1985 model year
    H = Lorain Assembly Plant
    1396__ = 39,6__th 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Lorain Assembly
    awesome info, thank you so much!!! really appreciate it