Close

Default Fairmont tach mount

Where did you guys mount your tach? I have two. I have a monster tach and a 2 1/16 tach. How did you guys mount them? I don't want to drill the dash. Car has no console. I was thinking about mounting the monster on the floor. Any ideas?
    1980 Futura 347 C4

FEP Senior Member

I went old school on the zephyr, I used a hose clamp, and stuck it on the steering column, on the left.

I haven't put one in the zephyr, but this was how I did my last drag car:

I have my tach mounted on top of the column with the shift light located on the bottom of the column.

My car is an original manual car so I don't have a gear shift indicator. I heated the underside of the dash pad with a heat gun to shape it around the tach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1980 Ford Fairmont 2 Door Sedan - 306,T5Z, 3.73, 5 lug conversion

I used one of the screws on the a pillar to mount mine

I used one of the screws on the a pillar to mount mine

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmont View Post
    I have my tach mounted on top of the column with the shift light located on the bottom of the column.

My car is an original manual car so I don't have a gear shift indicator. I heated the underside of the dash pad with a heat gun to shape it around the tach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hey, you have an ES bezel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I used to have a 83 Regal drag car with the tach mounted to the roll cage down bar by the dash, but I have always wondered why the Monster tach on a street car? No bashing here, I am a firm believer of it's your car do what you want, but if you're just taking an occasional trip to the strip you just need a shift light. Even on a full tilt drag car, I never looked at the tach. I looked mainly at the egt and waited for the shift light. I didn't care what it idled at nor what it actually stalled at when I hit the line lock. For my 85 GT I am just going to hide a super bright LED in the center vent as a shift light...activated by the Holley HP. Well I take that back...I think I have all of the outputs used, so I will get a RPM switch and activate it that way.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Fastmont love the gauges. Where did you get them? Havent seen a fuel gauge like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mounted mine in the factory location in my Zephyr

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  61.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BlownMerc View Post
    I mounted mine in the factory location in my Zephyr

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  61.1 KB
    Looking out that windshield is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post