Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '86 GT Gray Variations, which color is mine?

Hello all! First post. Just picked up an 86 GT Hatch, T-Top, 5 speed car. Feel like I got a pretty good deal on it. Car is solid, unmodified, floors needs replaced, driver seat is starting to fall through! so that's first on my list. Floors are the only rust on it from the T-Tops leaking. I need to order floor pans and Im going to go ahead and get all new carpet for it, and possibly door panels. My door INT. TRIM code is PA. Which, I believe is charcoal. Judging by the wear it looks to be original. I want to eventually get this car to 100% original including paint.

On CJ pony parts's looking at charcoal for the floor and rear hatch, to me, looks WAY darker than whats in it. Can someone confirm this is right?

Thanks all!

Name:  IMG_3985.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  107.1 KBName:  IMG_3998.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  126.5 KBName:  IMG_4001.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  112.5 KBName:  IMG_4005.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  123.0 KBName:  IMG_2523 (1).jpg
Views: 315
Size:  106.5 KB

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your time and all the great folks that contribute here!

The best way to "know" what you'll get is to ask the vendor for samples. For most vendors on 85-86 cars (Non SVO) with grey, will be a lighter shade of grey.

You might see some areas where your carpet hasn't faded along the edges and if you do it's likely you'll notice that it's very light colored.

Lot's of discussion here on this. FYI- I often search for info on the site with google by simply entering the search term(s) followed by site:vb.foureyedpride.com and it works very well.

Oh, BTW, nice 4 eye you got there!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your time and all the great folks that contribute here!

The best way to "know" what you'll get is to ask the vendor for samples. For most vendors on 85-86 cars (Non SVO) with grey, will be a lighter shade of grey.

You might see some areas where your carpet hasn't faded along the edges and if you do it's likely you'll notice that it's very light colored.

Lot's of discussion here on this. FYI- I often search for info on the site with google by simply entering the search term(s) followed by site:vb.foureyedpride.com and it works very well.

Oh, BTW, nice 4 eye you got there!
    Thanks! Trying the search out now. I had no idea you could do that with google, thats a great tool to know.

Its a 10 footer, looks nice, paint is a maaco style older job. I love it though and cant wait to get working on it.

Glad to be here, already dug through a lot of good stuff on here.

-mike

That carpet is the light grey and looks to be original. The 85/86 grey carpet is not Charcoal....Charcoal is the plastic trim and door panels. As mentioned above, a fabric sample would be a great idea so you know what you are getting.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    That carpet is the light grey and looks to be original. The 85/86 grey carpet is not Charcoal....Charcoal is the plastic trim and door panels. As mentioned above, a fabric sample would be a great idea so you know what you are getting.
    I will have to it seems, I'll try to get samples sent. Its confusing because my door code P"A" indicated charcoal, which is the color or the door panels / dash etc..but the dash pad and carpet to me look like light gray or even "smoke gray"

Now if only I could find a driver side seat mine in caved in / broken. I think someone stored an engine block on it lol

Ford actually called it "Charcoal/Grey", as in the combination of both in the interior.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Ford actually called it "Charcoal/Grey", as in the combination of both in the interior.
    Gaaatch! Love this forum already.

Ford did the same with the blue (Regatta Blue/Blue) and tan (Sand Beige/Buckskin) that year and the year before, but not the red. They called it "Tu-Tone interior". It was standard in all LX and GT models. The red was just called "Canyon Red".
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

From the Mustang section of the 1986 Dealer Launch Guide-Ford Division...

NOTE: Second tu-tone color is on seat side facings (except Canyon Red), lower door trim panel and floor carpeting.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

You probably just need new foam and upholstery for the seats. If the floors are wet then the seats got wet and the foam is rotten and falling apart. New foam and upholstery is available from TMI upholstery. I have used their stuff and it is very nice.

I had the same issues and questions last year when I redid my interior. I have an 86 ASC McLaren with the standard Mustang/capri charcoal interior. The door panels, dash hull, dash and carpet should be the same as yours. Your dash pad looks like it is the wrong color, it should be charcoal, much darker than what you have.

I ordered the light grey carpet and it was pretty close to the original. The original was badly stained but the hidden parts matched really well. the carpet on the door panels is close, too, but they are original and seemed to go darker with age.

Now, about everything in the interior looks a different color based on the lighting. I have some pictures in my "McLaren" album if you want to see what I mean. Believe it or not, the console and the dash are the same color, but the lighting and the angle to the light make them look drastically different sometimes. I ordered a new charcoal dash pad and it was about the same color as the dash hull and the other plastic pieces, but it was just a little bit light compared to the old one. There is a picture of the new one on top of the old one. I ended up returning it and I'm going to get a black one.

Which brings me to the issue that Ford made different shades of black and I understand that there are two types of material used. One dash is shiny and dark black, the other is a little duller and is more of a dark charcoal. That is the one I want because the door panels are pretty dark charcoal.

Name:  IMG_3190.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  201.5 KB

The new charcoal dash pad is on the left, the original is on the right. The old one just looks like it is more charcoal than the new one?!
    Last edited by 86McLarenCapri; 10-27-2016 at 02:17 PM.

One thing I will tell you as you restore your interior...don't feel like everything has to be a perfect match, because there wasn't much from the factory that was a perfect match ;-) But it is close and nice looking contrast throughout the interior.

I'd welcome you to come see my original '82 and 85 GT's with mint interiors....the contrast in the reds (on my '82) and greys (on my 85) is really pretty amazing. Talking about dash hull compared to dash pad, compared to console, compared to door panels. About the only things that do truly match are the carpets from floor to lower door panels.

Here is an example that really shows the differences, you can clearly see the hull to pad difference in the dash. The console has hint of orange in it compared to the hull. And you can see the distinct difference from kick panel to door sill.
    Name:  DSC_0050.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  117.1 KB

Here is a mint grey '85 for reference:
    Name:  SAM_0471.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  109.9 KBName:  SAM_0472.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  115.0 KBName:  SAM_0473.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  139.2 KB
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 10-28-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Holy cow!! Those cars look brand new!! Especially the grey one!

It looks like your dash pad is a little darker than the hull--I can't seem to find a grey one that dark.

It is indeed...thats just one aspect of the contrasting colors I was talking about. The console is darker than the hull too. Also notice the rear interior qtr panel where it meets the lower trim panel by the rear seat cushion. And believe it or not, the red one is the more "mint" of the two interiors. Funny thing is the opposite is true of the exteriors.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I hope that didn't come off as criticism--my dash/hull combo are just like yours and I have been looking for a dark grey (but not black) dash like yours!

Does anyone out there have any advice on dashes?

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    You probably just need new foam and upholstery for the seats. If the floors are wet then the seats got wet and the foam is rotten and falling apart. New foam and upholstery is available from TMI upholstery. I have used their stuff and it is very nice.
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

Thats sowaxeman and 86McLaren for all the help, pics and advice! Im in the middle of tearing out the floors for new one.

Im documenting my project here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVMJ9XlMhT0

sowaxeman, thanks a MILLION for that pic of the grey interior. Car looks like it rolled out of the showroom yesterday! This will be a big help when restoring mine.

-Mike

Does anyone know of a SEM vinyl dye part number that matches the grey of the console / lower dash bezels?

Somebody might have a SEM paint code for you...I don't know it unfortunately. Back in the early 90's I converted my Capri from tan to grey interior. I bought a complete set of sport seats and door panels out of a wrecked GT. I took one of the door panels with me to an auto paint supply place and had them mix the color to match the upper vinyl portion of the panel....since that is a close match to the console and dash. I prepped all my tan plastic panels and sprayed them with the paint/dye they recommended for plastic. Turned out great!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Somebody might have a SEM paint code for you...I don't know it unfortunately. Back in the early 90's I converted my Capri from tan to grey interior. I bought a complete set of sport seats and door panels out of a wrecked GT. I took one of the door panels with me to an auto paint supply place and had them mix the color to match the upper vinyl portion of the panel....since that is a close match to the console and dash. I prepped all my tan plastic panels and sprayed them with the paint/dye they recommended for plastic. Turned out great!
    Ive used SEM paint before and the results are incredible. Its really good stuff. Bought a blue dash for my 69, and changed it to black, looks new, 100% original.

-Mike

Matt at Fox Restoration has his own mix code for charcoal interior paint. I had him mix it for me a few years ago for my SVO. It matched perfectly. You might want to talk to them also. FYI, a half of a pint of paint straight from the can to the spray gun did every single piece of plastic in the car.

If your dash hull isn't broken then you are ahead of the most of us. My dash hull broke at the mounting points and ended up in my lap. I spent 6 months looking for a unbroken dash hull and it cost $500. You can make repairs to the dash pad and hull using solvents. Unfortunately, when your repair them the solvent only soaks in so far and they usually break 1/2 inch to either side of the repair. Good luck

One thing I will tell you as you restore your interior...don't feel like everything has to be a perfect match, because there wasn't much from the factory that was a perfect match ;-) But it is close and nice looking contrast throughout the interior.

I'd welcome you to come see my original '82 and 85 GT's with mint interiors....the contrast in the reds (on my '82) and greys (on my 85) is really pretty amazing. Talking about dash hull compared to dash pad, compared to console, compared to door panels. About the only things that do truly match are the carpets from floor to lower door panels.

Here is an example that really shows the differences, you can clearly see the hull to pad difference in the dash. The console has hint of orange in it compared to the hull. And you can see the distinct difference from kick panel to door sill.
    Name:  DSC_0050.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  117.1 KB

Here is a mint grey '85 for reference:
    Name:  SAM_0471.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  109.9 KBName:  SAM_0472.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  115.0 KBName:  SAM_0473.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  139.2 KB

Wow, beautiful job on both interiors!
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Thanks...but that is all factory. They are both low mile and 100% as the day they were built. I've done nothing except occasional vacuum and wipe down with the interior detailer.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast