Close

Default T-top Pace Car pics and Jack Roush Jr quote

http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...r--14-foc.html

The passion I have for the Blue Oval can be traced back to 1979, when I was just five years old. The Ford Mustang was selected to be the official pace car for the 63rd running of the Indy 500, and my father was involved in the project to modify the engine. My mother also worked on the cars – primarily on the interior. The project generated one of the most iconic Mustangs from the period. There were three actual 1979 Indy 500 pace cars built for the race, but there were also replicas produced by Ford for sale to the public. One of the actual pace cars is on display at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum, while the other two are in our collection, waiting to be restored; after the Indy 500 race that year, they were repainted for the Detroit Grand Prix. My family went to the race that year to see the excitement first-hand. For us, it wasn’t so much to see who won the race as much as to celebrate the great heritage of the Ford Mustang. It was amazing to see our family’s deep involvement, and then see what a big impact it made.
    Name:  JackJrIndyPaceCar_20151001_0002.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  212.2 KB
    Name:  1464361708199.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  90.5 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for posting that up. That is a cool read. I think this is one of them in the collection as it sits, still with the Detroit GP livery on it. Looks like it had a different rear spoiler and no Pace Car hood as well but I believe it was a Pace car if I remember correctly

Last edited by homer302; 10-25-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Yes, that's one of the two they have.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

http://www.mustanglab.com/1979-musta...pecifications/

December 23, 2014 5:14 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Aiken
    Rick Mears received Dearborn car #11. 9F03F480011. I’ve spoken with him about that. It was one of the first 12 pre-production cars built at Dearborn Steel and Tube, and like my #7 car, has many unique features not found on the production cars. Don’t know if Rick still has his, but last I heard he did.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks for posting that. Great to see that picture from 1978. Thanks for posting the pictures homer302. Looks like a neat place to visit.

Great info and eyewitness documentation. I'd sure like to see the one that the Indy museum has in person.
    Thanks!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Very cool, thanks for posting that info.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Very Cool ! At the recent Mustang Club of America event in Indy, the Indianapolis 500 Speedway staff brought out the three Mustang Pace Cars for us to enjoy. Thanks for sharing your story !Name:  IMG_0773.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  142.0 KB
    Terry
    -------------------------------
    '79 Turbo Pace Car #482832
    40th Anniv GT Convertible
    Georgia Regional Mustang Club - Atlanta, GA http:/www.garmc.net or Find our page on Facebook

In the original post, why is the FORD emblem in the grill rather than on the hood?

Thanks
    Mark

FEP Power Member

Looks like they changed hoods.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by 1979 Indy View Post
    In the original post, why is the FORD emblem in the grill rather than on the hood?

Thanks
    Mark
    Keep in mind that the first picture is the original prototype for the PC and I doubt at that point that everything was completely sorted out in regards to details. The standard (Non PC) Mustangs of 79 also wore the Ford emblem in the same area of the grille. I would guess that at a later date Ford decided to move the Ford name emblem up onto the hood scoop.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The three T-roof Pace Cars were actually 'regular' 5.0L hatchbacks. The first one could be considered a "pre-production" Mustang ... production sequence number 100024. The other two were also very early, and consecutive, units ... 102848 and 102849.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-18-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That second pic just doesn't look right. Missing the fog light covers and headrest also. Just not sure with the first pic being dated SEP 78.

Mark

I was just at Roush this week. Both of these cars are torn down for resto. I walked into the shop to be greeted by a pile of Fox suspension parts, k frames and axles... Fortunately, John at Roush was willing to let me get a close look. �� I'll be back there next week, I'll get some pics if possible.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Oh you know what I want to see ...
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Oh you know what I want to see ...
    I'll do my best ��
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

I would like to see some pictures of that modified rear spoiler you can see in my pictures if it's there. Looks like a neat piece but I wasn't brave enough to climb over the ropes and go get a close up look at it.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I'll see what I can do, but both cars are torn down for resto. I don't know if all the pieces are still in the shop.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

had trouble getting to see the cars today, but managed to get a little info. Indy car is out for paint. DGP car is in the shop for reassembly, so I was able to see it, but there wasn't much to look at. No door sticker due to repaint, no buck tag. However, I did get a shot of the VIN.Name:  P1010001.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  120.5 KBName:  P1010002.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  164.0 KB
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

Cool! Thanks for confirming the VIN.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

cool thread guys