Close

Default Faded tach color

Hey guys, I bought a 140 mph cluster from someone on here a few months ago. I noticed it had the same problem as my old 85 mph cluster, with the red line part of the tach faded to white.. I'm guessing from the sun. Is there anyway to 'paint' it?
    1985 GT with t tops

I had a buddy that used to do things like this. What he would do is make a copy of the gauge face on a copier and cut out the area, numbers, letters or blocks that he wanted to repaint. He would then attach the template to the gauge and use an airbrush to spray the corresponding colors back onto the gauge. He used an airbrush simply for the fact he could lay the color on lightly and not have any brush marks or noticeable paint lines.

I will say that he had one hell of a steady hand and used an X-acto knife to cut out the things he wanted. Some of the smaller print he put under the magnifying glass to cut. I'm not sure if I have a steady enough hand for that.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-22-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I just painted an svo 140mph speed that had faded a while back. I used some hobby paint for model cars and painters tape. It turned out pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kpippin1986 View Post
    I just painted an svo 140mph speed that had faded a while back. I used some hobby paint for model cars and painters tape. It turned out pretty good.
    That'll work too. Looking good!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Hey guys, I bought a 140 mph cluster from someone on here a few months ago. I noticed it had the same problem as my old 85 mph cluster, with the red line part of the tach faded to white.. I'm guessing from the sun. Is there anyway to 'paint' it?
    They make decal cover lays for that

I don't have any pics . But I used Testors flouresent red (no longer available) to redo my whole set of gauges for my SVO. I used a toothpick to do all the symbols on each gauge. I use a very find brush to do the needles and blocks.
    I used the red because it was actually closer to the right shade than flouresent orange.