Close

Default Alternator mounting and 3G upgrade questions

So I ordered a pulley kit for the 79-93 Mustang, and figured heck, the 351W shares the same pump/cover, and ordered it. Well, it never dawned on me at the time that the 351W is a lot wider than the 5.0 and this would affect the alt mounting. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  87.4 KB

So my next questions are can I just order a kit for the 351W and use my spacer sleeves of the 79-93 5.0 kit, swap in a 3G alt? Do the alt pulleys swap over as well? And what is this small piece of billet aluminum for? Has to be something related to the top alternator ear. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  48.7 KB

I can't seem to find instructions anywhere.

The small billet piece is a link between the tensioner and the upper alternator mounting bolt. It's necessary to keep the tensioner from binding against the alternator body.
    Last edited by gmatt; 10-22-2016 at 09:04 AM.

It's also necessary to keep that big alternator bolt from snapping off, by turning the big bolt into a double-shear mount.
    Alternators put a lot more stress on the hardware than most people realize.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I used the kit like u have for the alternator and PS pump on my 92 ... The spacers was not in line with my crank pulley.... Had to get spacer sleeves cut from machine shop in order to get PS and alternator to be in line with water pump and crank.... Ot costed me 20 for all spacers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I used a Summit Racing Aluminum Alt bracket set up like posted above. Only had to shim the Water pump pulley a little and shim the Alt mounting bolt (top big one) a little to get everything in lined. Wasn't to bad to do though and works well.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

As soon as I got my kit like u have I threw the spacers away went to machine shop and had a set made.....Best money u will ever spend.... The ones with the kit are small and flemsy ....Trust me get some big spacers. It's amazing how big of a difference it makes. If u will look closely u can see them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk