Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ecoboost 2.3 (what will it take?)

Hi guys!
    Im sure im not the only one that wants to do this so maybe someone can give us their 2 cents on it.

Ive seen the engine alone for 1,700 or 2,000 a couple times, can it be matted to a t56?

What about the harness? Do we need the oem harness or is somebody making a plug and play harness?

Has it been done?

Hopefully this post will bring some answers on how to get the ecoboost in our cars!

Im going to do some engine bay work on my pacecar and would love to drop an ecoboost in when done.

Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

I've been thinking about this swap for my 92 lx. Ford putting out the control pack is very helpful. I'm sure quicktime will get around to making belhousings to mate with the popular transmissions. I have to give a call over to maximum motorsports and see if the 2.3EB will play nice with their swap K member or if there is another on the way.

My thoughts for my 92 are basically, 2.3eb, cobra IRS, cobra brakes all around and MM suspension bits for a slightly more modern take on the SVO. Then I can happily keep my 4eye nice and simple, windsor, tko, 8.8 stick axle out back.

Maximum Motorsports does not offer a K member at this time that will allow the Eco Boost to bolt in. They considered one, but don't believe their is enough interest to go into production.

You can talk directly to Jack Hidley and order a K member without motor mounts and then custom fabricate the engine mounts for the Eco Boost yourself.

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

Interesting. I am currently doing a restomod on a 84 turbo GT convertible and seriously considered this as an option. In the end, I ended up going with the a 2.3 Lima with a Boport head, CP pistons Crower rods and PIMPX ECU. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the head. Bo is coming back and you can catch him on EBAY occasionally.

I have an 84 SVO that will be my next project. I will make a request to MM as well to add to the show of interest. What better than an SVO with an Ecoboost?

Yes, easy...well, the 2.0EB Turbo anyway, done and dusted

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=4893

March 6, 2015 by swaptastic 1 Comment

and another earlier on in Mustang and Fords.com by Technical Editor Michael Johnson March 2, 2015 http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...2-0l-ecoboost/

Resurrecting the aforementioned ’86 Mustang for daily driver use. We’re swapping out the 5.0 for a 2.3/5 speed. Turbo’d of course! Will be running E85 as the fuel.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...in-a-fox/page2

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Done and dusted for a while....done by the Mclearrans of http://mclearranmotorsports.com/
    The 4-cylinder EcoBoost 2.0L engine makes 240 to 252 bhp and 260 to 270 lb·ft torque, depending on the calibration, it goes down to 220 hp and 245 lb-ft on 87 octane. In a 3600 pound Aussie Ford Falcon it takes 6.5 seconds to get to 60 mph, in the Volvo S60 and V60, about the same but its got even less power and torque in the Ovlovs. Best power is in the Focus ST

Will and Kelly are the real deal
    Past drag conquests are the turbo Fox 5.0 V8,
    a virile 18 pound boost, 450 rwhp plus 10 second 4.1 I6

and now 16 pound I4. Just the crate Turbo 2.0 Ecoboost....

Attachment 84204

See http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=4893
    and http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...2-0l-ecoboost/
    Attachment 84208
    Attachment 84207
    Attachment 84206

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUK7-JX_j4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh71n3qud6Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYyVW0pLsGo

and a 2.5 Duratech turbo.

"1997 Mustang Cobra With A Turbo Duratec Inline-four"
    March 13, 2015 by swaptastic

As we know, the SN95 is a 2/3rds Fox with the Fox 4 platform, nearly the same underbody right down the line, had the similar K member , just shifted forward almost an inch.

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=4912&

Quote Originally Posted by Tordaan View Post
    I have an 84 SVO that will be my next project. I will make a request to MM as well to add to the show of interest. What better than an SVO with an Ecoboost?
    Sounds cool to me, but I don't think the tenets of this site will allow it to be on here...

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    Sounds cool to me, but I don't think the tenets of this site will allow it to be on here...

Cale
    I beg to difer, its still a 2.3. Just how people coyote swap a unique four eyed i think an ecoboost would be accepted. Now an SVO converted to V8 to me is a no no.

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

New User

Agree. Actually my turbo gt convertible is far more rare than the 84 SVO. 671 of the 84 turbo gt verts manufactured. A few thousand early 84 SVO's. I am a 4 cylinder turbo advocate. Wouldn't own a 5.0. If the 84 SVO was an 85.5, I would not even think of anything other than a bone stock restoration.

Cale
    I have to agree with Cale. At the risk of being unpopular, it feels like we are trying to make a rice rocket out of a of a fox. I know the original Turbo was a 2.3 but it is a drastically different engine. The character it had will be lost with an Eco-boost.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    I have to agree with Cale. At the risk of being unpopular, it feels like we are trying to make a rice rocket out of a of a fox. I know the original Turbo was a 2.3 but it is a drastically different engine. The character it had will be lost with an Eco-boost.
    I disagree. The new 2.3 ecoboost is in the Mustang, so the lineage is direct IMO. Modular motor swaps are acceptable here, why wouldn't an ecoboost swap be the same?

This swap just became much easier now that Ford released the controls pack and has a crate motor for it. It shouldn't be all that difficult to make this happen since the hardest part, making the engine run without hacking the factory computer and wiring harness, has been taken care of.

I really wanted to go this route myself because I wanted a lighter engine than a V8, and I'd be happy with 250-300hp. The new V6 in the Mustang is what I wanted to put into my Fairmont because the curb weight of the V6 Mustang is 10lbs lighter than the 2.3 turbo. sadly, Ford doesn't make a controls pack for the V6 tho, which sucks. The only drawback I see right now is the price. 2.3's are relatively new and there aren't many out there yet, so they still command a premium price.

Theres only about 40-50lbs difference in weight between most i-4's and v-8's. I wouldnt let weight dictate which engine I did.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    I did not imply anything about it being a rice rocket and I am questioning what you agree with me on? I think it is a modern day twist on a classic with what I would consider to be the most correct modern engine to swap into an SVO. From what I understand though, no engine swaps are permissible for viewing on this site in the SVO and the circumstances of the car do not matter.

Cale

I did not imply anything about it being a rice rocket and I am questioning what you agree with me on? I think it is a modern day twist on a classic with what I would consider to be the most correct modern engine to swap into an SVO. From what I understand though, no engine swaps are permissible for viewing on this site in the SVO and the circumstances of the car do not matter.

Cale
    I'm pretty certain a 2.3 EB would be a perfectly fine swap for an SVO. It IS in fact a 2.3T

Cale
    I simply agree that it may contravene the tenets of this site. I'm not a fan of the ecoboost and feel that even though it is the same displacement and is turbo charged, it's is a drastically different engine than an SVO was meant to have. The engine in the SVO is one of the things that made it unique. The idea that it is an import-esque engine is my take on it. Just my opinion. Not wanting to offend anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

Here is a good way to start if you really want an iceboats in your fox body.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2017-FO...hX70gX&vxp=mtr
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Like that Green machine ! Ive actually considered the ls swap with msd atomic integrated fuel rail/ecu . Still American muscle . I dont think i'll ever sell it so I'm pretty well down with anything that makes sense . Still gonna give it thought. either way Im replacing ecm and spending a lot. Weighing it out . The 2.3 seems like a loyal option with matching tranny but I'm leaning towards the SV8 option
    Last edited by Unlimited; 10-22-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Has anyone seen someone pursuing the 2.3EB option? I'm thinking bell housing, mounts and a downpipe are all that should be needed... I may be over simplifying though.

In my '15 Eco, I did a track day at Barber at the SCOA Nationals in '15. Twelve laps in the auto trans blew. At the 40th in Indy, first hot lap session using the JMS BoostMax, number one cylinder let go. Dealer refused to cover, even though it's the same part Roush uses on their cars and warranties it. Installer is the difference. The 2.3 Eco is junk IMHO!
    Dan Aiken

'85.5 Jalapena Red SVO, cloth, roof, 52k miles bought from original owner.
    '79 Pace Car #7 - Pre-production prototype and Indy Airport Display Car, sold and awaiting body off resto
    '79 Indy Pace Truck #3607
    '79 Indy 500 go-kart
    '94 F250 Indy 500 Safety Truck #2 (used at the race) - will be for sale soon
    '15 Mustang Ecoboost, (my DD)
    '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport (a Marauder without the motor)

So guys i just bought an ecoboost motor. Whats next?

It is currently in Tampa and i have to ship it to Dominican Republic but would love to start getting my next steps in order..

Im thinking of going with the stock mt82 6spd even though ive read some bad reviews about them but dont want to over complicate the swap with adapter plates and all, also dont know what direction i should go with the k member. I currently have a kit from maximum motorsports but it was for my turbocoupe motor so dont know if i can grind the mounts off and make new ones for the EB or if i should buy a kmember without mounts.

*I know i have to buy the control pack from ford racing.
    *there is a speed shop capable of adapting the engine/tranny/driveshaft but wiring will be interesting to acomplish here.
    *there are good muffler shops here so not worried there either.

So basically im in the air on:
    What do i do with the kmember?
    What 6spd tranny would be a bolt on besides the mt82?
    Will any mt82 from a 2011+ fit or does it have to come off an EB?
    Do you think my stifflers crossmember will work with the mt82?
    What gear ratio should the rear end run? (Currently 4.10s)

Thanks guys! Im hoping to really dive into my pacecar this year!

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

From what I understand there is currently not a k member with the correct mounts available. You should be able to do like you said and use the one you have and adapt it to use the EB motor mounts.
    I would just stick with the trans that came with that engine. Would make things more simple. Might have to make some space in the tunnel because they are physically bigger.
    I plan to do this swap in my 81 Capri when I get done with my SVO restoration.
    How much did the engine cost you if you don't mind my asking?
    Sounds like a cool project!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangdanimal View Post
    At the 40th in Indy, first hot lap session using the JMS BoostMax, number one cylinder let go. Dealer refused to cover, even though it's the same part Roush uses on their cars and warranties it. The 2.3 Eco is junk IMHO!
    Ford 2.3 EcoBoost engines are experiencing a large number of head gasket failures. The open deck design allows the cylinder bores to move in the block and wear the head gaskets to the point of failure. The power generated by the 2.3 EcoBoost is impressive, but it might not be worth the potential headaches.

1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Maximum Motorsports does not offer a K member at this time that will allow the Eco Boost to bolt in. They considered one, but don't believe their is enough interest to go into production.

You can talk directly to Jack Hidley and order a K member without motor mounts and then custom fabricate the engine mounts for the Eco Boost yourself.

Good Luck!
    That's interesting the MM does not offer one. How hard can it be to move and position the motor mounts in the correct orientation on a sub-frame he already manufactures?
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast