Close

Thread: Ash Tray light

Default Ash Tray light

I been replacing my interior lights with LEDs and I was surprised to find there is an ashtray light.

Cant see it at all with th4e ashtray inserted but when I took the ashtray assembly out sure enough theres a light under it doing absolutely nothing.

The ashtray has 2 thin slits that I assume light is supposed to enter through. the light has a cover with a thin slit that I think was supposed to divert light into the ashtray. Mine points away from the ashtray slit. complete engineering failure.

I was wondering if I removed the cover and replaced the bulb with a bright LED would it actually light the ashtray?

Anyone else played around with this?

With the cover off you can se the ashtray light.

Attachment 106170

My 88xr7 has the ashtrays light. There are slits in both sides of my ashtray if you put it in backwards it still lights up.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yep, my old GT350 had them. There are slots in the ashtray to allow the light through as stated above.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

it seems like when my car was assembled someone put the light in pointing away from the ashtray. And since the clip for the light connector only goes in 1 way I think if I pull off the light cover and use a super bright LED that lights 360 degrees I should see light in the ashtray

Digging up another zombie thread here.

There’s an ash tray light???

The photo fgross2006 posted doesn’t help (no offense). Is this bulb easy enough to get to, or should I just leave it alone?
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Digging up another zombie thread here.

There’s an ash tray light???

The photo fgross2006 posted doesn’t help (no offense). Is this bulb easy enough to get to, or should I just leave it alone?
    I agree, not sure why I posted that and didn't notice it was obscured. I found an old pic from when I did that which shows the cover off and the light harnesses for the shifter and ashtray.

The problem with mine was it was placed in the wrong position at the factory. There was no way for light to enter the slot in the ashtray without placing it next to it.

Name:  Mustang Ashtray.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  154.4 KB