Close

Default Been a while! Have a new toy, have question

Just a quick re-intro, I own a number of a automotive businesses in Queen Creek, AZ, my first car was an '80 Fairmont wagon with 255" boat a anchor V8, and I build engines, port stuff and rebuild transmissions... I'm not a total newbie, lol.

Ok, so I just picked up a '90 Crown Vic time capsule for $300, lol. Because, why not? The thing is a gem, interior is pristine, exterior is damn clean, even the hubcaps look new!

The bad? The previous owner nuked the engine, probably because the shop that did the $2k AOD rebuild and install a few months ago didn't adjust the TV right and it was screaming along in 3rd at 80 on the freeway. Hey, who am I to judge?

The question: obviously I'm going to modify it, quietly and unobtrusively, but the car is MAF??? It's obviously a non-HO 5.0L, and admittedly it's been a while since I played with a 5.0L, but I thought these were SD cars? Is this a California thing (car came from CA). Being mass air can the computer play nice with a wide duration baby cam and 19s, or do I need to scrounge a Mark 7 computer, assuming this is like the Townies of the era with cruise control melded into the PCM?

Thanks all!
    2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
    1989 Mark VII BB, 5.0HO, AOD, open 3.08s, custom exhaust, stereo, now equipped with color-matched jackstands!
    1989 Mustang LX, 5.0L 5-speed hatch, HCI, 3.73s, full exhaust, blah blah blah

Some other stuff...

FEP Senior Member

MAF was pretty much standard for all cars @ '89. The computer will respond to changes just as good as a Mustang.

Thanks for the response! I know Mustangs and VIIs were MAF, but thought trucks and Panthers were still SD in '90? Learn something new...

Offhand, does anyone know if the '90 Vic computer can be tuned via twEECer or the like? I haven't pulled the computer to get the code off it yet, hoping someone here knows, lol.

Thanks all!
    2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
    1989 Mark VII BB, 5.0HO, AOD, open 3.08s, custom exhaust, stereo, now equipped with color-matched jackstands!
    1989 Mustang LX, 5.0L 5-speed hatch, HCI, 3.73s, full exhaust, blah blah blah

Some other stuff...

FEP Senior Member

There is no reason a TwEECer won't work with your computer. All EEC computers are the same. They just use different load tables for the difference in vehicle size. You will find that there are several companies out there that will sell you custom tuned chip.