Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New tubular front suspension/engine bay overhaul haul on my ongoing 86 coupe project

Decided to finally start working on my 86 coupe project again, haven't really driven it much due work and life in general but things are finally slowing down, so after work tomorrow gonna start by pulling the motor and tranny out and install a upr tubular k member kit, and then start grinding the engine bay and get it ready for new paint.

Little background on the car... its an original 4 cylinder car converted to a stock carbed 5.0 with a t5 by previous owner, i bought it and threw a set of afr heads on it, new carb, new 3:73 gear and trust trac posi unit, sump tank with new -6 line, drivers side floor pan was a lil rotted so I had a complete new floor installed from lmr, then added a 6 point cage, it's always been a fun little street cruiser but my goal is to put a 421 windsor stroker in her in the near future hopefully before next summer lol

Here's a pic of how she sits now in the corner of my storage shop awaiting her disassembly lol
    Name:  20150620_183503-01.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  67.3 KB
    Last edited by 86coupe421; 10-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Nice where about in Michigan are you ? (License plate)

Looks like one bad azz garages entry or shop or at least a 16 ft door or so lol

What's up with the purple people eater and jaz seat ? Looks nicely done from what's there in pic

Awesome to hear your back at it on your project

Thanks, I'm located just north of monroe.

Lol the purple people eater is a 87 hatchback I bought it as a fully set up roller team z rear suspension, 33 spline rear with spool,Upr front suspension, chromoly 10 point cage, extremely clean car but I have too many cars lol so I sold it to my brother a few months ago, he has put a Jon kasse headed solid roller 408 in it he's almost got it ready for the track.

Name:  IMG_0898.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  97.8 KB

Yes it feels good to work on the 4 eye again I actually have been redoing my 92 hatchback it was a stock block 331 with a vortech and I split the block in 3 places, luckily all the internals were salvageable and I dumped everything into a dart shp block. It's never ending with cars
    Last edited by 86coupe421; 10-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Nice setup on both cars damn really stepped it up you guys must have REAL jobs lol

Your pretty close by let me know if you curb alert any parts for a slow car lol

The purple people eater is going to be a no joke car and with that paint it will be remembered.

Does look really clean good luck with the rest of the project on the four eye

Nice garage damn

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Nice setup on both cars damn really stepped it up you guys must have REAL jobs lol

Your pretty close by let me know if you curb alert any parts for a slow car lol

The purple people eater is going to be a no joke car and with that paint it will be remembered.

Does look really clean good luck with the rest of the project on the four eye

Nice garage damn
    Lol thanks brother, hopefully both cars will be up and ready for the track next season.

I'll definitely have a few parts for sale soon lol.

heres a couple pics of everything done up until now cage, new floor, and motor upgrades..

Name:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  122.0 KBName:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  82.5 KBName:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  86.7 KBName:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  120.0 KB
    Last edited by 86coupe421; 10-12-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Nice man
    Are you guys planning on running a specific class ?

What trans are you guys going to run ?

Thanks, I would really like to get into the open comp on the Friday heads up series and dial the car in for a 10.50 or so index. I'll be putting a well built c4 behind the 421 windsor, with that combo and this light ass coupe it should be a very fun and reliable N/A ride.

Nice
    Wife's cousin is going to run that class next season also but with a power glide behind a 531 ci BBF in 85 hatch
    We were at Milan Friday watching his buddy turn it up on his nova but car makes tons of power and hooking issues currently

Team z everything you can on your car they are putting foxes in some ridiculous 60 ft times wife's cousin swears by there product I probably can afford there bumper sticker maybe 2

Good luck to you guys sounds like you guys are very serious and with some nice artillery

A turbo 421 with a glide would be silly and I would leave the exterior how it is on the coupe It's working

You're current exterior on your coupe and your future bullet reminds me of Randy jacksons mustang

YouTube randy Jackson tricks pass time panel

Funny stuff

Nice
    Wife's cousin is going to run that class next season also but with a power glide behind a 531 ci BBF in 85 hatch
    We were at Milan Friday watching his buddy turn it up on his nova but car makes tons of power and hooking issues currently

Team z everything you can on your car they are putting foxes in some ridiculous 60 ft times wife's cousin swears by there product I probably can afford there bumper sticker maybe 2

Good luck to you guys sounds like you guys are very serious and with some nice artillery

A turbo 421 with a glide would be silly and I would leave the exterior how it is on the coupe It's working
    That 85 hatch should move very nicely with 531 bbf, that sounds like a sweet build u hardly see anybody doing the bbf builds anymore with everybody doing windsors, or an aftermarket block, or like most switching to ls motors lol.

Team z is top notch stuff I bought my caster camber plates from the owner Dave Zimmerman years ago for my 92 hatchback, super cool dude very down to Their stuff is expensive but all my rear suspension will be team z, I would do their front kit but I got a whole upr setup for basically free thru some trading.

Lol my 421 shortblock is boost ready so u never know a power adder might end up in the engine bay eventually

You're current exterior on your coupe and your future bullet reminds me of Randy jacksons mustang

YouTube randy Jackson tricks pass time panel

Funny stuff
    Dang that dude is wicked fast in a car that looks like a 12 sec street car project lol that's awesome

Lol thanks man thats how like my cars to look very unsuspecting, lol my 92 hatch looks a pile project that I just picked up off of craigslist but it trapped 126 in the quarter with the stock block 331 with 9lbs off boost. And u would never think a clean built motor would be under the hood of it

Name:  20160326_194115-1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  133.9 KB
    Name:  20160308_175114.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  184.9 KB

Nice setup
    I never owned a fast car I tried twice so maybe the third time statement thing

i don't look at paint on a car it's funny most people think it's a nice or crappy car based on paint I guess it's what you see and who you are I personally would hate to get beat by a multicolored one headlight hatch won't close hanging mirror car than a shiny black car

But then I would hate to loose to the purple people eater and sounds like many people are going too lol jk man serious it's a sharp car and I spotted 10 percent of it with a jaz passenger seat from my crap phone and had to ask

Who puts a passenger race seat in a race car ? I know the type of guy that would do that lol

Good luck with the build and next season to you Guys and happy the 4 eye is slated to get worked on..

Nice setup
    I never owned a fast car I tried twice so maybe the third time statement thing

i don't look at paint on a car it's funny most people think it's a nice or crappy car based on paint I guess it's what you see and who you are I personally would hate to get beat by a multicolored one headlight hatch won't close hanging mirror car than a shiny black car

But then I would hate to loose to the purple people eater and sounds like many people are going too lol jk man serious it's a sharp car and I spotted 10 percent of it with a jaz passenger seat from my crap phone and had to ask

Who puts a passenger race seat in a race car ? I know the type of guy that would do that lol

Good luck with the build and next season to you Guys and happy the 4 eye is slated to get worked on..

Lol yea I have left a lot of guys butt hurt after racing them in my 92 hatch o well it's all in good fun, there will always be someone faster and willing to spend that money to be crazy fast.

Lol my brother plans on cruising the purple people eater every once in a while to the local cruises an what not

If u see either of these cars at milan or at a cruise don't hesitate to come up and shoot the ****, my name is ryan

Went to the shop after work last night and got some progress done on the notch, got the motor and tranny yanked out and sitting next to the car on blocks of wood, and the stock front suspension is out of the car. Sitting up on jack stands at the moment, Engine bay has about 30 years of grime and nastiness in it lol. Hopefully get back down there tonight or tomorrow and start cleaning and grinding it down for a re spray, next thing to tackle on the list is to re wire the everything and get rid of that spaghetti mess in the engine bay lol

Name:  20160205_154059.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  155.4 KBName:  20151003_204546.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  109.6 KBName:  20160111_162110.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  141.6 KB[

Nice toy box, I'm jealous

I'll def stop by if I see either car I should have mine back out in the spring but afraid I'll be a victim to the purple people eater and the coupe lol

Good progress on the coupe keep up the posts

went to the shop tidied up my mess from last night and covered all the vehicles so no dust or grime would get on em and started grinding on the engine bay, everything came out fairly clean then I decided to take the entire front clip off and clean up all the frame and radiator support etc.. 30 years of paint, nastiness, and grime stunk like hell lol

Name:  20160117_173621.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  129.1 KBName:  20160112_174823.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  141.6 KB

Gonna degrease everything and start slapping some paint on it, and then comes the fun part of putting in the new front suspension out of a donor car that it was just mocked up in, never driven on yet

Name:  20151003_165912.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  84.5 KBName:  20151003_165924.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  81.8 KB

Nice! And I'm way jealous of your clean framerails!
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Nice setup

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy81 View Post
    Nice! And I'm way jealous of your clean framerails!

Thanks, been lucky with it being pretty clean so far

Quote Originally Posted by 86darkside View Post
    Nice setup
    Thanks.

Front suspension is in the car and back down on all fours, Upr chromoly tubular k member and a-arms, coil overs, strange 10 way struts, flaming river manual rack, and hotchkis cc plates, gonna swap them out with a set of team z cc plates later on. Amazing how much lighter all the new suspension is, big difference.

Started painting the engine bay areas where any suspension parts come into contact with the body and realized that I wanna do something a lil different with the bay, so I picked up a set of scott rod smooth engine bay panels last night, can't wait to install em and see the difference.

Name:  20161013_112619.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  140.7 KBName:  20160222_171357.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  132.7 KBName:  20160226_204213_001.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  110.6 KB

Did a little parts running today, Picked up my 421 windsor shortblock block fresh from the machine shop Eagle steel crank, Eagle h beam rods, icon forged dished pistons, main studs with girdle. Looking for a set of heads for this shortblock now.

Name:  20160118_172931.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  104.7 KB

Nice
    What shop did you pick for machining?

I'm looking for one in few weeks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast