Close

Default Calling LTD's with big rear tires (275 and up), back spacing etc

LTDs seem to have a bit of a unique rear fender shape. Does anyone have a large tire on the back (275/10.5, about 28 in tall)?

What rim size and back spacing are you running? Do the same rules as a Fox mustang apply, like an 8in rim with 5.5(?) backspacing? How much hammering?

I am running some 255/60/15s on mustang 10 holes right now and they are right on the edge of rubbing on the outside (fenders are already rolled). The back is a bit lowered (about 1-1.5 coils cut out).

I know some new wheels would be needed. I am on the edge of traction with the 255's, but would like to try out some 28in tall tires (currently about 26in).

Thanks!
    1984 LTD - Four eyes and four doors of fury.
    2000 Mustang GT - Stock, autocross in its future

I had 275 Radial Pros on 10-holes out back just for rolling the car around (86 Marquis). It was pretty low. There was clearance on the inside but the fender lip cut the outside of the tire a bit. I'll see if I can find any pics I took of the space.

As long as it wasn't too low, and with a cut fender lip, they'd probably work on a 10-hole without any other mods.

Mine is minitubbed now so I can't provide anything current to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pics would be great!

With the 10 holes and 255's I rubbed a little bit on launches, about 2 inches above the fender lip where the factory flare comes back into the quarter panel, so I figured 275s were out of the question with 10 holes, I had to do some clearancing with a hammer to stop the rubbing. I do like the sleeper look of the 10 holes though.

I'm hoping to not need mini tubs quite yet

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFourDoor View Post
    Some pics would be great!

With the 10 holes and 255's I rubbed a little bit on launches, about 2 inches above the fender lip where the factory flare comes back into the quarter panel, so I figured 275s were out of the question with 10 holes, I had to do some clearancing with a hammer to stop the rubbing. I do like the sleeper look of the 10 holes though.

I'm hoping to not need mini tubs quite yet
    Here are a few...sorry, nothing good showing underside clearance because minitubs were always the plan. There was rubbing on the fender lip which can easily be cut back. It also rubbed a very little bit as you mentioned, on the inner fender of the outside of the car. But keep in mind I didn't ever drive the car like this so I really can't comment on it rubbing other than rolling it around and putting it on/off the trailer.

Name:  IMG_4652.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4650.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4651.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4538.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4539.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  95.0 KB

I gotta say, that brown paint, and those blacked out 10 holes sporting 275s looks amazing. Your ride height appears to be very similar to where mine is currently at. It looks like with those factory tubs you did not have much room on the inside of the wheel wells either, is that right? Given that mine rubbed over bumps and launches, I would expect your would have had at least some slight issues as well, if it had been driven like this.

This definitely gives me hope though, as I may be willing to buy some rims with a different back spacing to move the tire just a tiny bit away from the outside edge.

Thanks for the pics and good luck with the car!

Here is one of mine with 255's, there looks like there is some room, but it still rubbed a little bit until I took a hammer to the out fender well.

Name:  DSC_0531-cpy.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  103.9 KB

I really can't remember how much room I had on the inside. With the 275s in the 7" wide wheel, they were actually pretty narrow which probably helps them fit They are much wider on a 10" wheel.

I'm setting up an 85 LTD, with SN95 Control Arms & Steering Rack, this pushed the front wheels out pretty far compared to the 85 LTD Front End. Since I will be using an 89 Mustang Rear End, I used some Wheel spacers to push out the Rear Wheels. I used some SN 95 Bullet Wheels, 8", 245 45 17 tires. These fit fine, with a 1in spacer, these fit but the Fender would need to be rolled. If I were to use some Cobra R's with 275 40 17 tires, these may actually fit, if you locate some M179 Cobra R's with the 36MM offset, or using an SN 95 Rear End with regular Cobra R Wheels with the 24MM offset.

I am running a 90 mustang rear axle now, not looking to swap it out or swap to 5 lug axles. I know that limits my wheel choices, but I am looking to keep a 15in rim on there. I think an the tire size I would be looking at would be either a 275/60/15 DR or a comparable slick (~28x10.5). My thought is these would be on an 8 in rim, I know that will cut down my overall tread contact and affect the sidewall performance. I think a 15x8 rim with 5.5in BS would be the best possible fit, but I dont know how well that will work in the wheel well. I do appreciate the info though, I can still use this when accounting for axle width, backspacing, tires size etc to determine what is possible.

Thanks!

I am running a 90 mustang rear axle now, not looking to swap it out or swap to 5 lug axles. I know that limits my wheel choices, but I am looking to keep a 15in rim on there. I think an the tire size I would be looking at would be either a 275/60/15 DR or a comparable slick (~28x10.5). My thought is these would be on an 8 in rim, I know that will cut down my overall tread contact and affect the sidewall performance. I think a 15x8 rim with 5.5in BS would be the best possible fit, but I dont know how well that will work in the wheel well. I do appreciate the info though, I can still use this when accounting for axle width, backspacing, tires size etc to determine what is possible.

Thanks!
    I'm going to be doing some wheel/tire fitting on one of my other Marquis over the weekend. I'm borrowing a 15x8 Draglite with 5.5 BS and a 275/60R16 drag radial. The wheels were on a Fairmont with hammered stock tubs so I'm hoping they can fit the same on the Marquis. I'll take some pics for you.

That would be perfect! You did say you have mini tubs though?

No, my other Marquis (blue 1983). The 86 Marquis (brown) has the minitubs. I have too many of these cars...just sold a Marquis wagon and have a LTD LX I need to get rid of.

Haha, back in the dark ages of my mitsubishi days I had the same story of trying to explain which car I was talking about at any given moment. I have trimmed down to a few RWD, american v8s for now.

Picked this up today so I'll be trying it out tomorrow...I'll post pics of outer and inner clearance.

Didn't touch anything other than the front edge of the inside...it was interfering with the inner shoulder of the tire and had to tap it up a bit. Otherwise, clearance all around. Basically the fender lip is a mm away from touching but cutting it back or rolling it would be fine.

The is a 275/60R15 MT ET Street Radial (which MT unfortunately doesn't make anymore and that size isn't available in their new Street R or Street SS) on a 15x8 Draglite with 5.5 BS on a 1983 Marquis with a trac lok 7.5, and LTD LX shocks and springs.

BTW, forgot to mention it's basically the same on the other side. Rear must be shifted 1/8" to the driver's side. There is a little bit more clearance from the fender lip on the passenger side.

Wow, that is a tight fit, but the 15x8 5.5 bs combo does work. I will probably be on the look out for some stock springs, as mine have about 1 coil cut and I am still concerned with rubbing on the top when the car squats during a launch.

This winter has a bunch of projects planned for the LTD, so the hope is before spring I will grab some new wheels and tires.

Thanks for going above and beyond with the help!

I just bought the 275/60/15 in the MT ET S/S series....Not sure why you think it's not available anymore

Don't ask me why I put the SS, for some reason I was only thinking about the R!

Wow, that is a tight fit, but the 15x8 5.5 bs combo does work. I will probably be on the look out for some stock springs, as mine have about 1 coil cut and I am still concerned with rubbing on the top when the car squats during a launch.

This winter has a bunch of projects planned for the LTD, so the hope is before spring I will grab some new wheels and tires.

Thanks for going above and beyond with the help!
    No problem...needed to do it for the car anyway before it started coming apart. 2 birds, 1 stone thing!

With the fender lip cut back, there should be 1/2" to 1" clearance there and there is about 3/4" on the back side. So a decent amount of clearance for driving. If it was lower, the clearance at those two points would still be the same. The only question is the outside of the tire rubbing inside the wheel well. With the fender lip at the tire, I wasn't able to tell how close everything was. But I bet it would rub there without any massaging/cutting+welding.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Don't ask me why I put the SS, for some reason I was only thinking about the R!
    No worries, just wanted to clear it up. I love the meat under rear of a 28" tire. They look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ev5oh View Post
    No worries, just wanted to clear it up. I love the meat under rear of a 28" tire. They look awesome.
    Funny thing is the 28" tire doesn't look as big with the minitub and the rear lower!

I think automotive proportions are highly under estimated. Its amazing what 1" can do to any part of a car. Move the wheel in, out, up or down and it makes everything look different. I think sometime people cant grasp the concept saying they want to lower their car 2" or but a 5" cowl hood on. In some cases its fine and plausible, but other case I think people are really surprised with what they are left with.

They do look small once you hang the big-ole but over them!
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior