Close

Default Best source for body parts? (Toyota)

I'm among the best car guys here, so...
    We bought a 13 Camry last year with a slightly beat up front bumper cover. Other than an Internet search, does anyone have a suggestion for a good source? Keystone? A NASCAR team?

Does RockAuto have anything? I know something like a bumper cover will normally kill you in shipping charges. We have a somewhat local discount collision dealer with decent prices. I can order something like a fender or trim pieces online quite a bit cheaper, but the larger items, I'll usually save money buying it from them. The last thing I ordered was a bumper for my 92 f150. I paid about $50 more through them, but saved almost $100 with shipping.

FWIW, ebay has been a good source for me, when I'm just looking for "cheap". Just don't expect great quality. On the other hand, I've spent more on parts that were supposed to have been higher quality and it turned out to be crap. But I always seem to get cheap parts and cheap shipping on ebay. Parts are usually decent quality, when compared to parts stores and online shops.

What you've said about ebay is exactly what I was imagining... I haven't had to deal with Toyota parts before. Keystone/LKQ is what we used at the Ford dealership I worked for... they only have used front bumper covers available. If that's my choice (other than new) then I want to pick and pull it myself.

Thanks for your bravery for trying to help with a Toyota question on a Ford site
    Last edited by uglybox; 10-10-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Car-parts.com is a decent internet search and in some cases color matched and you may be able to pull it yourself and get all of the fasteners and clips with some of the integrated trim and inserts if any which a NEW cover will require the change over of these items and paint your looking at some pretty good money for the NEW route which you're probably aware and being that new the color of a used cover may match well off a donor car that met its fate

Check this site, I used them for a few things for my Tundra.

http://www.partznet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uglybox View Post
    What you've said about ebay is exactly what I was imagining... I haven't had to deal with Toyota parts before. Keystone/LKQ is what we used at the Ford dealership I worked for... they only have used front bumper covers available. If that's my choice (other than new) then I want to pick and pull it myself.

Thanks for your bravery for trying to help with a Toyota question on a Ford site
    I have 5 Mustangs and a Tacoma lol!

Evil heathen...Toyotas, utter scum...

I acciDENTtly
    DENTed my wifes JDM 170 hp 3SGE RAV4.1 front right gaurd. THE NOBLE FIVE FINGERD PALM PLANT OF FRUSTRATION...

I'm still trying to feel quilty...but I don't.

The body pannels are festooned together, quite unlike a Honda, or, gasp, a good old Ford.

Five service tools just to do a head gasket and timing belt replacement.

Run away, buy a Taurus or a used 500 with a door ajar light error. Sonething you can fix, rather than it Fix You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VOnsYAAdI

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Evil heathen...Toyotas, utter scum...

I acciDENTtly
    DENTed my wifes JDM 170 hp 3SGE RAV4.1 front right gaurd. THE NOBLE FIVE FINGERD PALM PLANT OF FRUSTRATION...

I'm still trying to feel quilty...but I don't.

The body pannels are festooned together, quite unlike a Honda, or, gasp, a good old Ford.

Five service tools just to do a head gasket and timing belt replacement.

Run away, buy a Taurus or a used 500 with a door ajar light error. Sonething you can fix, rather than it Fix You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VOnsYAAdI
    My mom bought a Rav 4...first model that came out. My family, other than me, is notorious for destroying cars. They rarely change lube oil, never flush radiators, change tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc. Just drive them till the stop...repair...repeat. I think she put a little over 150k hard miles on that poor thing before trading it in on a brand new one. I still see her first one running around town from time to time. Doesn't look like they take much better care of it. Mom's current (2nd) Rav is, iirc, a 2006. I believe it has around 170k on it. Never wrecked, but definitely abused (although it looks and runs great). She's looking at buying another new one as we speak.

My Tacoma is a 2016 TRD Sport. I've always wanted one, but I'm not a "new vehicle" type of guy and used Toyota truck prices around here are absolutely comical. So I finally bit the bullet and took one home earlier this year. I wanted a standard shift, which limited my options quite a bit...and the Toyota resale values really nudged me in that direction. I've hauled a ton of Mustang parts in this truck already lol!

Name:  20160318_210526.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1468683925753.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  77.6 KB

Just fender benders for me...the Fox was written off 2015 due to a lack of good quarter panels. PITA.

After the above 2011 Bender, the RAV4 was all up and running fine.

The T'yoda parts situation is good, just a pain. The cars are really Not designed to be serivced, they are designed to be reliable at the expense of ease of service. there is a parts commonality to Toytas, much like there is with Fords, but Ford at least has on open meeting session on how they are gona service parts. For Toytas, they just eliminate electric clips, or measn to seperate parts, and it doesn't bother there designers if they have to start at the front number plate and removed everything till you get to the part you need to service. It really is like that for the in line four cylinder narrow angle twin cam engines.

There is enough latent goodness it them to learn to like 'em, but they are basically a plastic food token with some complicated service flaws home born US trucks don't normally have.

For the little Toytas and Lexus breeds, they always upgraded parts from light to heavy with capacity.

For the 4.4's and 4.7, they downgraded the conrod beam section considerably on of the normal 4.0, ...signifcantly!

I have the same issue with my 3SGE...everything is different to the stock blocks (big ass heavy duty rods, great pistons, wonderfull, high flow rate heads from 20 to 450 thou, all killer, but the early cylinder blocks aren't a patch on the Toyota Camry 5 seres engine for strength, and the things that make my wifes car such a great, 32 US MPG 115 MPH, 17.5 seond 1/4 mile even with 4 Stage auto powerhouse make it a son of a uno wot to service.

I'd rather rebuild a Fiat X1/9 or Dino 308 GT4 than set a spanner on any Toyota body part or engine, electronic and gearbox assembly.

I thought the high end Toytoas and Lexus cars were really a lot better than a lowly Corolla, but they aren't. They are just more complicated, often un necessarliy so.

Enjoy your rides. If your gonna be unfaithful like me, and have a T*y*+@ , for heavens sake make it sing for its supper, and cart some serious parts for your Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Check this site, I used them for a few things for my Tundra.

http://www.partznet.com/
    Thanks. Will check it out today.

Yeah, my thoughts on buying the '13 Camry were reliability, and the whole "it's more American made than most of the American cars" thing. (not trying to start an argument) I really wanted a V6, but I found a good deal on a low mileage 4 cylinder. -It just has this bumper cover that won't stay attached to the fenders.

car-part.com
    hollanderparts.com

Choose your parts and it'll tell you which yards have them, the grade (A, B, C, etc), how much they want for them, and how far away from you they are.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted on the findings.

Shipping is the killer on body panels. I have found Toyota of Dallas to have quite competitive prices on new factory parts. But honestly my local dealer sells stuff at jobber to me anyhow so I usually just go there.

My entire family drives Toyota's and I service most of them. Mostly just oil changes, brakes, an occasional clutch.... As long as they don't rust they just work. Typically not exciting to drive but reliable as the sun coming up. My Tacoma has 172k on it and drives like the day it was new. Hate to say it but the only domestic vehicles I have owned are 3 Mustangs and a Capri. Hopefully a 4th Mustang or a second Capri will be joining my fleet in the future.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

how hard due you have to hit the outer CV joint to release it.

I'm replacing one for my Toyota RAV4 / Ford Mustang in line six project.

It looks' like there might be a grove ball that needs impacting.

I might have to use Mr Roybi-San if it doesn't come off with impact.

YUP. Cut off discs and a grinding wheel. Well, hot digity dawg.....

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/no...-joint.180026/

Quote Originally Posted by 07sport4x4
    I hope this helps anyone who decides to take on this job. If your car doesn't have a good bit of rust, yours may come out easier than mine. I firmly believe that even if I had taken this to the local Toyota dealer, they also would have had to cut the shaft to get it out. I don't think that there is any way a puller and slide hammer could generate enough force to get mine off, at least. Hopefully yours will not be as difficult as mine. :nerd
    https://www.rav4world.com/threads/cv-joint-boot.77726/
    Quote Originally Posted by tinmanchris217
    Yeah, CVs are a major pain. I'd never consider re-building my own CVs, after the last few weeks of pain and suffering with them. It's alot less work, and about the same price just to swap in remanufactured ones. By far, the recommended choice.

If you don't have some free time and a large pry bar, I'd let a shop do the work. Our CVs are tougher to remove than most. Just my 2 cents.

Heavy artillery time, MoFos

cut off wheels and a grinding disc... and safety gear. Gunna make some noise....

personally.. I don't blame anything....blame …

Meanwhile, Back at the Toyota Ranch.

I've already eaten,

greased and played with my b@||$,
    had a j0int and forgot to put on the ru99ber.
    Must be family parentage.

And no, the Plastic hammer or Clasp Puller does not open the C clip after you've done it wrong.

Only Honorable Royobi -san and a cut off disc.

3 of them.....

FEP Senior Member

A guy here at work has had pretty good luck with those painted to match new body parts you see for sale on ebay. I've always been skeptical, but he has done at least two front bumper covers and they looked pretty good to my eyes. One was even silver and the match was pretty close. If you didn't know it had been replaced you probably wouldn't notice. It seems like bumper covers are in the $250-ish range and might even ship for free. If your luck is anything like mine the junkyard parts will be all scratched/ripped/torn when you get there.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    A guy here at work has had pretty good luck with those painted to match new body parts you see for sale on ebay. I've always been skeptical, but he has done at least two front bumper covers and they looked pretty good to my eyes. One was even silver and the match was pretty close. If you didn't know it had been replaced you probably wouldn't notice. It seems like bumper covers are in the $250-ish range and might even ship for free. If your luck is anything like mine the junkyard parts will be all scratched/ripped/torn when you get there.

I've shipped fully painted and pristine body part offcuts world wide.

But the concept of "luck" with Toyotas or Junkyards, well, your better off making your own luck. or your own parts.

What works for Chevs and Fords, never works for Toyotas, Scions, Lexus or Diahatsus. What really works is Roman engineering and brutality.

Never be mastered by anything....