Close

FEP User

Default Srod to tko 500 swap

I have recently come across a slightly used tko 500 for sale.( by slightly used I mean 3 runs down the strip before the guy switched to an auto for better shifts) I just had some questions I need answering. First off can I use my stock srod bellhousing off of my 79 pace car 302? Also will my speech cable work? (I know I'll need a different gear if it's long enough) and what modifications will I need to do to the floor pan and/or the trans crossmember? Anything helps, thanks.

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I did a SROD to T5 swap in my 82 Capri RS. I was able to use the stock speedo cable and clutch cable. From what I've herd you can use a SROD bellhousing with a tremec trans. I did have to do a small cut to the floor pan for the shifter.

11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

yes, the SROD bellhousing matches with the Tremec.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerjunkie View Post
    I did a SROD to T5 swap in my 82 Capri RS. I was able to use the stock speedo cable and clutch cable. From what I've herd you can use a SROD bellhousing with a tremec trans. I did have to do a small cut to the floor pan for the shifter.

Hi, I've seen some videos and forum posts that say welding this "tunnel hump" is mandatory when we upgrade our cars to T5. Did you have any issues skipping this step? I don't fully understand why people say it's necessary.
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7277A/1979-...on-Tunnel-Hump

SROD bellhousing works as mentioned. I've had several TKOs (3550, 500, 600, 900).. All in 86 up cars though. Never had to modify the body. 79 may require some trimming, but it'd be minimal - but it may not need it also
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I did this in my 83. I did use the t-5 bell only cause the srod bell had a broken starter ear. Never checked if they would fit. I didnt have to trim the the hump but if I ever change the shifter i will or have to lower the tranny. Looks like it will need to be about what HPJ trimmed.
    All the srod clutch parts worked and speedo cable in the t-5.

^ You didn't use a T5 bell with a TKO.. Unless you did a lot of machining, they don't bolt up.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I did not trim my 79 tunnel. Although the shifter touches the right rear of the hole. I'm using sn95 k member and trans.