Close

Default Illuminated Entry System

Come along with my on my latest flight of fancy, won't you?

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    ... "Illuminated Entry" option. The lights are supposed to come on when the front door handles are lifted, and turn off after 20 seconds or when the engine is started...

... it has the lighted ring around the door locks. Those lights are hooked to the timer module. There are switches in the door that trigger the timer when the door handles are lifted.

Schematic

(Courtesy of JayWee007 on the Carbd Ford message board)
    I like the idea of putting this system in my car. Information about it is almost non-existent around the web unless you know where to look. Which i pretty much don't.

Here's what I've been able to find so far.

The locksets can be found on ebay or other places around. Not difficult.

As for the switch that turns the lights on when you lift the door handle, that's a bit of a mystery. Most of what i can find are the obvious pin switches that go in your door jamb and simply turn on the dome light when the door is opened. Here's a promising one i found on Rock Auto though (under door jamb switch of all places ).

It looks to me like it pivots with the door handle and the two contacts come together to send the signal to the timer module.This was found under the '81 Thunderbird, which had the same door handles as the F/Z.

As for the module itself, i had no trouble finding a discontinued listing on FordPartsGiant yesterday, but can't find it today

So, what else can you tell me about this system? Am i wrong about the switch? Aaaaaaand go!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-02-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'd say the best way to figure out how to hook it up and get it all working would be to study schematics of cars which were built with this option.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    I'd say the best way to figure out how to hook it up and get it all working would be to study schematics of cars which were built with this option.
    Yep, just put the image up above, instead of the link. So we've got that too. At this point though, i can't be sure I'm on the right track with the switch. Or if there's anything else i need to know.

Another tidbit of information: by the mid to late '80s, this system was commonly bundled with the far better known "Keyless Entry" number pad. When you push one of the number buttons, it would also activate the courtesy lights, same as lifting the door handle.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The Mark VIIs had the keypad entry and the locks had lights that light up when the door handle was lifted.
    I have the shop manuals if they will help.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    The Mark VIIs had the keypad entry and the locks had lights that light up when the door handle was lifted.
    I have the shop manuals if they will help.
    That would be great if you could scan the relevant pages! Thanks!

Here's a couple more pieces to the puzzle. First mrriggs photo of the module itself.

I finally found that info about the module part number and stuff. Odd that it has an "F8" part number though since i have to imagine they'd moved on to a different system by then.

There are a couple of these available on RearCounter

And here's a pic of the lockset with part number.

This one's on ebay and says it's for a Tempo.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-02-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here are the appropriate pages from Ray Dog. Thank you!

I am thinking of adding more courtesy lights too, so this is great! There seems to be places for them under the dash, and then i would maybe add some in the door panels or rear quarter trim.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, so thanks to Fearnot, i got to see some shop manual images of the system. This is the latch diagram from his pics.

It does show two different possibilities, but i'm guessing the "Interior Light Switch" makes more sense to be the right one over the "Door Open Switch". Unfortunately, I've seen the "Door Open Switch" all over (Rock Auto has a couple different options per model, for example), but the "Interior Light Switch" almost nowhere. This pic is from the lone ebay listing i've been able to find. It's for a Taurus/Sable.

It does look a bit different from the one from the diagram, but as far as i can tell, does seem to be the right thing. So then the question is, can you use a switch from a different application? I don't know!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, I don't suppose there are any of the luxury-oriented mid-80's Foxen left in the boneyards up there
    in Minnesooohta? Easiest way to figure this out, and get the necessary parts, is to find an organ donor.

BTW, we really love the keyless pad on the Marauder, and I've thought from time to time it would be cool
    to retrofit one to the StaWag. The interior lights are a nice extra benefit.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I saw a Maverick someone had added the number pad to, haha.

The convenient junkyard gets any Fox very rarely. The all Ford yard has several, but it's far, and I really don't have the time for junkyard runs these days, much as I'd love to go. The all Ford yard may not even be there anymore. He's been saying he's getting out of it and crushing all his cars for years.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You know, the switch only has one wire going to it. It looks to me like all it needs to work is to ground itself when the little lever the rod from the door handle actuates swings up when the handle is lifted. Might not be that tough to fake this... hmmmm...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Scored a whole system out of an '87 Crown Vic yesterday on a rare junkyard excursion!

The switches may be a bit of a challenge to adapt to my latches, since they're Panther style instead of Fox, we'll see. Also, the keys for the cylinders were long gone, so those will need to be re-keyed.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...linders-Re-Key
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-02-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, so let me know if you come to the same conclusion I do. Here are some half-a**ed photos of the Mustang harness's courtesy light circuit.

The important wires are the light green/yellow for constant power and the black/light blue for switched power. Most of the lights ground themselves. Everything is sort of spliced together. The black/light blue goes to the "output" side of any of the switches involved, and then to the positive side of any of the lights. So, say we were using this, the simpler of the two illuminated entry systems above.

In theory, all I should need to do is find a switched power circuit for the white/pink wire to the illuminated entry module, and then splice the light green/yellow and black/light blue wires right into the the existing wires in the car's harness and that should make it function the way it's supposed to with the existing lighting. And then I'd just need to add the other illuminated entry components and done!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Another car they were on was 77-79 T-birds.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    In theory, all I should need to do is find a switched power circuit for the white/pink wire to the illuminated entry module, and then splice the light green/yellow and black/light blue wires right into the the existing wires in the car's harness and that should make it function the way it's supposed to with the existing lighting. And then I'd just need to add the other illuminated entry components and done!
    Alright, I'll answer my own question then. This turned out to be sound. I installed the module today just like i describe here, and it works! I ended up not using the door handle switches though. Instead I wired that circuit to the "unlock" circuit in my power lock system. It works just like a modern car! Hit the unlock button on your remote, and the car lights up to welcome you!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST