Close

Thread: Lynn's Capri

Default Lynn's Capri

Bought from Stangman. Pretty happy with the car overall. Has problems like any used car some owner induced. Will get into them as time goes on. Lynn joined to so she will be telling everyone what a ahole I really am LOL
    Name:  160828_121.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  39.7 KBName:  160828_120.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  35.8 KBName:  Photo-0352.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  20.2 KB

Looks good in pics but needs paint. Havent been able to find the buck tag. Maybe someone has posted it here previously.
    255 auto. Rear has been replaced with a 3.73 open. Turd off the line but will chirp into 2nd. Feels like a shift kit. First thing Dad said to when he rode in it.

Since it was built in San Jose (code "R" in the VIN) the buck tag is not in the typical location that the Dearborn tag is.

Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I love my car a lot i would never ever get rid of it no matter what

glad you like Lynn!!!! I sure do miss it...

That's a very nice car! Looking forward to what you do with it.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

no plans really other than keep it going. Fidel you can come visit it anytime. I keep looking at those pics and wish it did look that good. Latter I will get into the dirty parts to deal with.

thank u a couple of the guys i work with wants my scoop and i told them no no chance at all

Well been a long time updating as its been doing ok. BUT couple months ago the timing cover started leaking coolant bad so had to park it for some work.
    Going to swap out the c-4 for a aod. Someone did swap it to 373 in the rear so needs a od bad. Swaping out a few parts and need a few so will be posting in WTB a few.

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear16 View Post
    thank u a couple of the guys i work with wants my scoop and i told them no no chance at all
    Welcome, Lynn.

The lower option Capris with 255's are a heck of a lot more fun than people realise. The engines sound sweet, but really just need a 2350 rpm stall converter as well as an AOD.

You guys are lucky.

See Car and Drivers October 1981 4.2 Windsor 160 HP Quad Exhast 4-bbl AOD Mercury Capri Exhaust.

The AOD was a factory 4.2 liter oprtion only on some bigger Foxes, the 1980-1982 XR7 and Thunderbird, and some Panthers (LTD/Marquis, then renamed Crown Victoia, Grand Marquis) for 80, 81 and 82. IIRC.

There is a 39a 2.53:1 high stall converter which was used in the 1984-1985 AOD Mustang HO 5.0 and Capri HO 5.0 with the CFi, and some 3.8 V6 cars.

The problem with all AOD's was Ford didn't want have the high stall converter rated for a factory passenager sedan untill 1984, and the early trucks got it first.

The C5 was the stand in gearbox for eveything 4.2 and 3.8, a very bad choice. The AOD with 2350 rpm stall has its take up speed 700 rpm higher than the C5 and other AOD's, which were rated at 1650 or 1700rpm. The 255 has its maximum torque down low with its camshaft a real tractor profile.

Even with the cam they came with, a higher stall converter, AOD and 3.73 gears will transform the 255.

If its a 1981 engine, you can really make those little engines go well with a G code 1980 351 W Marine Cam spec, and a 4-bbl intake manifold. The only issue is what firing order your 1980 has, so most times, to cam it up, it requires a 289-302 pre HO cam profile. But they are coomon as mud.

I grew up around the small export spec 221, 260 and the odd 255 engine down here. They are very responsive, and a great deal of fun. My niegbours had a His and Hers set on 1963 Ford Fairlane Four doors with 260 cubic inch V8's. The wifes was black, the husbands, Sebring Orange. My bed room was beside there garage, and everytime I hear an early Windsor with 221, 260 or 255 with the early timing, I remember the sweetest sounding engines ever. A bigger V8 with the HO or 351W cam timing doesn't sound half as good, IMHO.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_01.jpg
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_02.jpg
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_03.jpg
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_04.jpg

Hey everybody I'm back. Not much to post but did get a AOD in and dual exhaust. Better updates coming. Did drive it out 100 mile to get a windshield put in and got 26 mpg. Running good still needs help but lovin it.

Wow. Welcome back.... cool of you to check back in.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)