Close

Default Illuminated Entry Timer repair

After getting my '84 LTD LX up and running, I quickly found out why the previous owner had removed the fuse for the dome/courtesy lights. This car has the "Illuminated Entry" option. The lights are supposed to come on when the front door handles are lifted, and turn off after 20 seconds or when the engine is started. My Illuminated Entry Timer had malfunctioned and would leave the lights on indefinitely if the engine was not started.

The hardest part of the whole job was finding the Illuminated Entry Timer module. I had no clue where it was or even what it looked like. Tracing the wires from the door I eventually located it in the trunk, on the bottom of the package tray next to the right speaker. It's a yellowed plastic box (#E3AB-13C718-AA) with a single-row 8-pin connector.

The side pops off and the board slides out.

I got lucky and the only problem with mine was a bad electrolytic capacitor [always the first thing to check with old electronics]. The capacitor is that light orange cylinder sticking up on the lower right of the board. It's a 10uF 25 volt cap. I replaced it with two parallel 4.7uF 35 volt caps because that is what I had in the parts bin. I also cleaned up the relay contacts just for good measure. With everything back together, the timer function perfectly.

I hope this can help others who experience this problem. It's a really simple fix when you know what you're looking for.

Never even heard of that, but now i kind of want it!

Does that come with the lighted key slots? I always wondered what made those even come on.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Excellent work!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Never even heard of that...
    You are not the only one. There isn't much information out there about this system. Google the part number on the box and you will find people selling them as "unknown" modules or simply "relay".

Does that come with the lighted key slots? I always wondered what made those even come on.
    Yes, it has the lighted ring around the door locks. Those lights are hooked to the timer module. There are switches in the door that trigger the timer when the door handles are lifted.

Schematic; http://www.gofastforless.com/junk/EntryTimerSchem.jpg (Courtesy of JayWee007 on the Carbd Ford message board)

Cool, thanks! I think the Zeph could maybe use another obscure touch of '80s luxury! now to get some time to hit a junkyard...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    After getting my '84 LTD LX up and running, I quickly found out why the previous owner had removed the fuse for the dome/courtesy lights. This car has the "Illuminated Entry" option. The lights are supposed to come on when the front door handles are lifted, and turn off after 20 seconds or when the engine is started. My Illuminated Entry Timer had malfunctioned and would leave the lights on indefinitely if the engine was not started.

The hardest part of the whole job was finding the Illuminated Entry Timer module. I had no clue where it was or even what it looked like. Tracing the wires from the door I eventually located it in the trunk, on the bottom of the package tray next to the right speaker. It's a yellowed plastic box (#E3AB-13C718-AA) with a single-row 8-pin connector.

I hope this can help others who experience this problem. It's a really simple fix when you know what you're looking for.

I registered just to say thank you for this information! I've found several helpful bits of information from this site, but since my vehicles are four-eyed Panthers and not Fox-based vehicles, I technically don't fit in with this crowd.

Anyway, after being out of town for 3-months, I found the battery in my '90 Crown Vic dead thanks to the interior lights staying on. After checking all the door switches and the headlight switch, I was stumped as to what else controlled the lights going on. I knew there was a timer/relay somewhere, but had no idea what it looked like or where it was located.

I found the exact part you mention in both '85 and '87 Grand Marquis under the dash, against the firewall just to the left of the radio. Knowing that electrolytic capacitors can and will fail at random times, I'm sure that's the cause of my problem. I'm confident that finding and repairing/replacing the timer module in my car will restore the interior light's proper functionality.

Since vehicles that used that particular module are getting up there in age, I'm guessing their failures will be more frequent. So, I guess it would be good for all members here to note that the illuminated entry module can be found on Ford/Mercury Panthers from '83 through '91, and Lincolns through '89, as well as the Fox-based vehicles. However, once the module is out, since it's repair will most likely always be a bad capacitor, replacing that one capacitor may even be easier than finding a good, cheap replacement module!
    Last edited by seebeexee; 11-09-2018 at 08:19 PM.