Close

Default First T&T with my 5.0 Tbird

Well I took my car to Milan Dragway yesterday to see what it would do. I had a blast and it didnt set the world on fire but I am real happy with its first outing!

My full build thread is here but here is a quick review. I rebuilt a 97 Explorer GT40P motor and only mods are a TFS1 cam,BBK long tubes and a PNP MS ecm. It has a t5,3.55 gears,cheap 17" street tires and a 2.5" Y-pipe into a single 3" exhaust.

Crazy to think how fast I put this car together and how well it turned out. I showed up at the track with all of 66 miles on the car. Brand new motor,new T5, new tires,new braking system,new suspension and a brand new MircoSquirt computer with very minimal tuning time on it.

First pass off the trailer went about how I thought... blew the tires off, pedal, short shift around 5500 and ran a 14.52 at 97
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r****mpSRVY

Logs showed it was real lean everywhere so I added some fuel and tried again. Still tryin to figure out the launch it went 14.00 @ 100 after a few horrible launches
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ofMynz5Pp8

Added more fuel and launched it real easy it pulled a 2.09 60ft and ran a 13.93 @ almost 102
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClV8He6lFkc

After that there was a string of a few more 13.90s but with more wheel spin it wasnt going to get any better. I data logged every pass and made some adjustments this morning that really made a big difference in the seat of the pants.

My biggest problem is the car is right in the middle of the wrong gear combo. With 3.55 gears my shift light was coming on about 1000ft or so in 3rd and leaving it in 3rd I would cross the line doing 101-102 at 6200rpm, if I shifted to 4th it would drop 3mph. So I think I will work on the tune to find some more power and next time I go back try shifting to fourth early at like 5500 instead and see if it has the power and distance to recover and pick up some more mph.
    Last edited by deathbypsi; 09-24-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

Congrats! I'm impressed with your build.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

X2. You had the perfect weather yesterday! I shoulda been there.
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Nice job, super clean install, what does it weigh? I have ms2 on my turbo build will the microsquirt support tuners studio? How much timing are you running? A lot of times with the cams you can run a little more timing than usual. I had a similar setup in a 91 coupe and it ran 12.5's @ 107 with drag radials, might want to try a set and see if you can drop that 60 foot a bit. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrdogg View Post
    Nice job, super clean install, what does it weigh? I have ms2 on my turbo build will the microsquirt support tuners studio? How much timing are you running? A lot of times with the cams you can run a little more timing than usual. I had a similar setup in a 91 coupe and it ran 12.5's @ 107 with drag radials, might want to try a set and see if you can drop that 60 foot a bit. Congrats!
    I havent got it on a scale yet but Im guessing 3300 with me. For the Microsquirt I just opened up my TunerStudio in my laptop I used for my 2.3t Pimp'd Ranger and just added a new project for this car and I was off and running. As of right now my max timing is at 33*at top of my map.

Anyway, I went back for round 2 on Weds but was a complete waste of time. Never have I seen this track with this many cars on a t&t nite! And on top of that The History Channel was there filming for some show and they seemed to be catering to them more than the other racers. On the plus side I did race one of the cars they were filming so a TC might end up on some THC show. Then a spectator may of had a heart attack and actually flat lined right as they opened the lanes! They shut down racing for an hour while EMTs worked on the guy and brought him back. After the EMTs were done and they transported the man off site we started racing which was just one oil down after another.

My first pass was at 5pm {got in lanes at 345} and it just blew the tires off and I aborted the run. I went right back in line and didnt run again until 630. That pass I left rite off idle and pulled a 2.16 60ft,13.94 at 102......same as last outing. I went right back in line and sat there till 830 while they cleaned up more oil downs and right when they told us to fire up to run the sky opened up and it down poured. The end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKixE2gWig
    Try again on the 15th.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Nice bird! In the past I've been lucky if I got 3 runs in on a Wednesday night there. If you can get some runs in, you might want to try playing with total timing a degree at a time. I have heard p heads sometime like less than that.

If you hate those 3.55 gears now wait until you put a tire on the car. My Capri was at your power level, on 26" drag radials with 3.55s it would bog or spin, no happy medium. I went to 4.10s and my ets dropped from 13.6 when the planets aligned to 13.3s consistently. At the top end of the track I found just revving it out in 3rd seemed to work best with the 3.55s, I tried shifting to 4th and it always seemed to cost time.

I have been able to cut 2.0 60ft times out of street tires with a small burnout, fwiw.

Cale

I went back to Milan for a private rental and I put 13 passes on the car trying all kinds of things.

I made two changes to the car since last time. I swapped in 3.73 gears and brought along a set of 26x8 ET Drags.

The first two hours I ran my 17" street tires and tried different launch rpms and tried different shift points. I wanted a real apple to apples between the 3.55 and 3.73 gears. I found that by dumping the clutch right off idle would let the tires hook and it blew my mind when it pulled a 1.96 60ft. My best pass was a 1.96,13.72@102. That was shifting at 5900-6000 and when I tried short shifting at 5500 it slowed to the 13.80s. Logs showed I cross the line in 4th at 5000rpm with the 3.73s

The last two hours I swapped on the slicks and tried launching between 3000 and 4000 rpm.They worked great. The 3000 launch wasnt enough and it bogged with a 1.92 60 but the 3500-4000 launches resulted in four passes between 1.74-1.78 and 13.33,13.37,13.34,13.41 all in a row and all at 102mph.

I datalog every pass and only needed to make minor adjustments as my tune is as about as good as it can be since no adjustments ever made any real change in the mph numbers.

Felt pretty good with these numbers for a car set up to throw around corners and not built to drag race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLsjxkHvCzQ
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Such nice work...trap mph is net bhp, so its really hard to get any extra there.

Those SBF Fords that aren't cfm limited really like shallow axle ratios and optimised total advance.

Back in the day, (measured in 3500 pound car two up or 3900 pounds total), a leaf sprung stick shift 350 hp net car could have maybee 0.7 seconds shaved off its 1/4 mile time by gear optimisation. Coil spring cars are even more reponsive, as they don't have the potential spring wind up, so you can play with all kinds of Good technique stuff.

I remember an acquaintance taking a bone stock 14.6 second Falcon GTHO, and just swapping from 3.25's to 3.91"s and just getting that 0.7 gain. I guess thats why the Boss 351 got the demon 3.91 axle gears!

Very sharp looking car and nice times for minimal $'s..................
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Very sharp looking car and nice times for minimal $'s..................
    Thanks man! I just got it back from paint shop on Saturday and so far I have less than $3500 into the whole dam car!

Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t