Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    ... wasn't able to... because my '86 3.8 doesn't have a use-able fuel pump eccentric on it's camshaft for a mechanical pump. Fuel injection originally = high pressure in-tank electric fuel pump. I used a low pressure electric pump in the tank.
    Ah yeah, sorry. Realized that bit after I had already written the response. Lol.

Just to clarify, your car does have a 3.8L V6 engine, right?...

And actually, forget I mentioned Ebay for a pump. I realized and found out later after getting this one, that you probably won't find a better deal for one than at Rock Auto:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1983,mustang,3.8l+232cid+v6,1133604,fuel/air,fuel+pump,6256
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

The blockage is a very real possibility. Like I said, a foil tab from a cat cleaner bottle got into the tank. About 1/2" in diameter. Would that do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatoscillator View Post
    The blockage is a very real possibility. Like I said, a foil tab from a cat cleaner bottle got into the tank. About 1/2" in diameter. Would that do the trick?
    THAT could totally block the pickup, when there's suction, when it's running... and then drift away from the pickup when it quits... and then sporadically get vacuumed onto the pickup again, blocking fuel flow... for sure a possibility...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

That might explain the stalling anyway, but it was already having issues starting hot before that. Spark tested and confirmed spark on all cyl when being turned over hot. I'm thinking its time to just replace the pump, heat shield everything, and have the line blown out. The tank is close to full though. -__-

If I'm planning to go 4 barrel, wouldn't a stronger pump be in order? I would expect them to be universal. It's such a simple piece that It's pretty dumb that they aren't.

That might explain the stalling anyway, but it was already having issues starting hot before that. Spark tested and confirmed spark on all cyl when being turned over hot. I'm thinking its time to just replace the pump, heat shield everything, and have the line blown out. The tank is close to full though. -__-

If I'm planning to go 4 barrel, wouldn't a stronger pump be in order? I would expect them to be universal. It's such a simple piece that It's pretty dumb that they aren't.
    Yup...

I don't think you're going to find anything but a replacement pump for them... and to supply a 2 or a 4 barrel with an engine that musters about 120 horsepower on a good day really makes no difference.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Yup...

I don't think you're going to find anything but a replacement pump for them... and to supply a 2 or a 4 barrel with an engine that musters about 120 horsepower on a good day really makes no difference.
    Lol. The whole reason I got this little 232 instead of a 302 was because I like a challenge, and I like working on something not many others do. Eventually I'm going to have it bored out, I think to a 4.2, have the heads ported and polished, roller rockers installed, etc. The 4bbl is just a preparation for better things piece.

Lol. The whole reason I got this little 232 instead of a 302 was because I like a challenge, and I like working on something not many others do. Eventually I'm going to have it bored out, I think to a 4.2, have the heads ported and polished, roller rockers installed, etc. The 4bbl is just a preparation for better things piece.
    I hear you. When I got this car, a 302 came with the deal, but it ended up having a detonation-roasted piston, so those plans went out the window. This V6's health is fine, so that's why I've stuck with it at least for now too. The stroker 4.2 is an interesting idea for sure, where you don't need to overbore if your block doesn't need it, and the crank/rods/pistons you get out of the newer 4.2 V6
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

This guy already beat us to the punch:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...relled-3-8L-V6

But he is a ghost, man. No updates on the project in a long while. Maybe it was TOO much power to hold, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, back on topic: Any way to take care of this issue without siphoning the tank? I've probably got 12 gallons of 91 octane in there. ;(

And regarding the build design of the fuel pump on this engine, the shield is around the pump, and the pump is basically right next to the block, so wouldn't this trap the heat ON the pump, rather than prevent it from getting to the pump???

Also will this allow the use of a larger edelbrock pump for our application?

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/20069622/01431
    Last edited by Thegreatoscillator; 09-19-2016 at 11:50 PM.

All kinds of the bodies of the fuel pumps are the same, but the actuating arms are what's different and specific to different engines. I suppose an enterprising individual might be able to grab a small block Ford pump and switch out the arm from their 3.8's pump...

That other linked pepboys bottom-feed contraption for pumps is simply that, and doesn't address the arm difference issue.

I think you'd be incredibly lucky if you actually got that plastic/foil tab out of the tank with siphoning, lol! Your best chance to get that out of there might be by dropping the tank after burning up the majority of that gas, and removing the pickup, and going fishing.

I had an '83 Cougar with a 3.8L V6 with 2-barrel, and there wasn't any heat shield around it's pump, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Everybody likes pics... where are your build thread pics? lol... IMHO, there shouldn't be enough heat out on the side of the timing cover where the mechanical fuel pump bolts on to cause it any grief.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I think you'd be incredibly lucky if you actually got that plastic/foil tab out of the tank with siphoning, lol! Your best chance to get that out of there might be by dropping the tank after burning up the majority of that gas, and removing the pickup, and going fishing.

I had an '83 Cougar with a 3.8L V6 with 2-barrel, and there wasn't any heat shield around it's pump, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Everybody likes pics... where are your build thread pics? lol... IMHO, there shouldn't be enough heat out on the side of the timing cover where the mechanical fuel pump bolts on to cause it any grief.
    Well that sound like a nightmare. When I get the tank down a bit and the pump off, I'll hit the line with compressed air. At the very least, I might be able to blow the tab out so it sticks to the bottom of the tank. I'll get some pics posted when parts come in and I get back to working on it. Right now the engine compartment is pretty hairy. Admittedly I didn't even bother trimming the ignition wires down. It wouldn't hurt if a few of them were a good 6-8 inched shorter, but whatever.

Nice about the 83 cougar. I had an 80 with a 302. The body style was only made for like two years. Now I have a 76 with a 351m, and I can't sell the thing for the life of me. Nada values it at 13 grand, and I can't even get an offer at 6500.

I knew a guy with an '81 Cougar like that. My brother had a somewhat similar looking Fox-chassis '81 Granada (you don't see those often), a 2 door with the 200 cubic inch straight 6 in it, that was in real nice shape, and then a van rear-ended him, nearly putting the back bumper into the back seat.
    Good luck with selling that '76.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Good luck with selling that '76.
    Rhymes with: "And where's the darned pics?"
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Lol. Yeesh. Alright alright.

Tiny pic refuses to not flip the first pic upside down for whatever reason, so just kinda...flip yourself upside down to view. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Yep, uh huh!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Very nice!!!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Yeah, maybe I should forget about selling it and have that 351 jammed into this 83 vert.

Sweet Cougar! LOL, you'd need it's transmission (351M, same bell housing bolt pattern as 429/460) too, lol
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I decided to do some trial and error testing while I wait for the parts to come in, and this is what happened:

I ran the car in park for 30 minutes without any stalling, so I went ahead and threw the ebrake on and dropped it into reverse where it sat at about 600rpm. Within 5 minutes, the car had stalled and coolant began to dribble onto the passenger floor.

From around that little peg just right of the middle.

This dribbling did happen ONE other time, when I stalled on the highway, but I believed it to be a pressure issue from the foil tab clogging the line, and didn't consider overheating as I drove it 20 miles home on a hot day with no issues. However, the temp gauge has been out since I got it. New temp sensor is in the mail, and will hopefully give me some more insight there.

Thoughts everyone? Could my coolant mixture be TOO thick? It may be as high as 85%.

Unrelated requested pic of the shield around the fuel pump:

Last edited by Thegreatoscillator; 09-21-2016 at 06:54 PM.

I'd say your heater core is leaking. Better bypass it (loop one heater hose from the intake to the water pump) and get another, and get or make a restrictor for inside the intake hose for after core replacement so it doesn't continue popping heater cores. A 50/50 mix of coolant to distilled water is normally just fine.

That shield-appearing piece mighta been part of bracketry for when an air pump was still there...
    EDIT: Sorry, that is the air pump at the right, isn't it? Anyway, awfully thick looking steel to be some kind of heat shield. Looks like some kind of or part of the air pump's brackets. It's been a hundred years since I removed my '83 Cougar's air pump, lol...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 09-21-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Leaky heater core I expect, but that couldn't cause the car to stall and not restart, could it?

No, I wouldn't think that's related.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I'll probably just bypass it indefinitely. Doesn't exactly get bitingly cold in LA. Any clue about it not stalling for 30 mins in p, but then stalling after 5 mins in gear? Coincidental maybe?

Yes, I guess it probably doesn't, LOL!

Sounds like coincidence. Would it re-start again after that?
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast