Close

Default 79 2.3T backfire

backfiring through carb after timing belt change. runs smooth but pops through the carb constantly. The belt slipped a couple teeth while getting on it around 4500 RPM prompting this change. Could I have a bent valve or damaged a seat? I know these motors are supposed to be non interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd run through the installation procedure again to verify it's positioned right.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I'd run through the installation procedure again to verify it's positioned right.
    it's very possible it's a tooth retarded on the cam, but after running the timing perfectly to the marks 3 or 4 times, at least as close as my relatively untrained eye can get them, I find it sort of difficult to believe. firing through the intake sounds like a swapped plug wire though, and I'm certain that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by stormdrain View Post
    it's very possible it's a tooth retarded on the cam, but after running the timing perfectly to the marks 3 or 4 times, at least as close as my relatively untrained eye can get them, I find it sort of difficult to believe. firing through the intake sounds like a swapped plug wire though, and I'm certain that isn't the case.

Well, besides crank and cam and distributor phasing correct, with the belt, with #1 cylinder up top and the distributor pointing at #1 and nothing being moved during replacement... maybe the ignition timing ended up too advanced? An intake valve ended up hanging open after getting on it?...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Well, besides crank and cam and distributor phasing correct, with the belt, with #1 cylinder up top and the distributor pointing at #1 and nothing being moved during replacement... maybe the ignition timing ended up too advanced? An intake valve ended up hanging open after getting on it?...
    even after retarding the distributor as far as I can and still have it run, it doesn't seem to fix it. I'm not new to the idea of head work and that's most of what I'm expecting, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I pull the head

I'd try a compression test, to see if a valve's hung open.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo