Close

Default Bought an LTD-LX!

Local guy is selling his 84 LTD-LX, and I'm headed out there tomorrow to look at it. Old guy says he's owned it over 25 years (but not 1st owner), and it's only got 97k original miles on it and the car is 100% original. Says he hardly ever drove it because he's always had a company car. Basically giving the car away, his excuse being that he needs to be rid of it since he's got 9 other cars and can't afford to insure them all.

My main concern is that I know nothing about 80's Fords (the car is older than me by 3 years...) so I have no idea what to look for when I'm inspecting the car. Hopefully I'll be taking it for a drive first to make sure it's all solid and everything works before I buy it, but I'm wondering how much malfunction should I put up with? What are some of the obvious signs of a good LTD vs. a bad LTD? Also, how much would you pay for (what sounds like) a basically "broken-in" LTD-LX?

-EDIT-

I bought the damn thing. It's a "sweaty" silver, but it's all original and in decent running shape.
    Last edited by TheGreenHell; 09-13-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Not an expert but besides looking over the car make sure the power windows and door locks work, should have the 175 or so HP under the hood with CFI 2 barrel efi and AOD 4 speed over drive trans and a 7.5 rear with 3.45 gear set. I know they didn't make many and they had rust issues so the numbers are dwindling, however it is still basically an unnoticed car to collectors, I have seen them sell from $2k to $3.5k, I am sure a mint one might pull more $$ but again these were never a high demand car.

Well, I bought it. It's a little sweaty, but the chassis looks pretty solid. Some rust on the door corner, but it's not full door replacement level. The exhaust is ****ed, but it can be replaced right away. Other than that, it actually seems pretty solid and it's completely original.

Pictures are a requirement in new car acquisition reports.

Mike

I wanna see! I wanna see!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Sorry guys, no pics. Left it with the guy (with a deposit) so he can bleed the brakes and replace the battery. Gonna pick it up then, and I'll post pics when I get it home in my own garage.

Name:  LX Engine.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  120.1 KBName:  LX Exterior2.jpg
Size:  98.0 KBName:  LX Exterior3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  115.4 KBName:  LX Interior.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  92.4 KB

Finally got my car home! Drove it from Wisconsin to Michigan. It drove really well! It felt solid, the suspension wasn't too soft or bouncy. The steering was good with no dead zone. The car didn't feel like it was struggling to move, and it only very slightly pulled to the left when I let go of the wheel. The thermostat is busted and the exhaust is ruined, but other than that it was just a really solid drive home. Interior was so clean that it basically looked brand new, and absolutely everything inside worked.
    Last edited by TheGreenHell; 09-19-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Would like to add this LX to the database and registry. Please post the VIN and door tag, and buck tag if it''s still on the bottom of the core support, and all known options and mileage. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Sounds like a great score! I like it. What's your plans? Looks like the one I got not long ago.Name:  image.jpg
Size:  149.6 KB
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

Looks like the Buck-Tag is gone. The Door sticker is still there, but it's very faded...
    VIN - 1FABP39M4EG223383
    Power Everything, Cassete Player/Stereo, AC, Cruise, etc.
    97,000 miles

Name:  LX Door Tag.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  47.7 KB

-edit-
    The top part is legible, but the rest is faded...
    Pretty sure the codes read -----------------------F0004
    ------------------------------------------------------R0053
    1E---------------------------------------------------46-DSO
    Body-------------Trim--------------------------AX--TR
    54D----------------B----------------------------E----TFFWW
    Last edited by TheGreenHell; 09-19-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    Sounds like a great score! I like it. What's your plans? Looks like the one I got not long ago.
    I really don't have any grand plans for it at the moment. I'll repair / replace whatever I need to get it daily drivable, then I'll slowly start upgrading things like the engine, trans, paint/body a bit at a time. Hopefully one day it'll be a proper sleeper, but not a "barely road legal hot rod".

The ONLY 4-door car I would consider owning.

Mike

Look on the BOTTOM of the radiator support for the buck tag. That's where mine was.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd

Be sure to check the foot wells and floor boards on both the passenger and drivers side
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

FEP User

TGH -
    bump, bump?
    I know this is an old thread but the admin posted me to get on the stick'n stop postin only in classified (wanna fox-bodied wagon) and PMs to buddies here.
    What's goin on w/this vehicle?