Close

Default 86 SVO- A/C Issue

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but...

Picked up this 86 a few months ago. No power at AC. All fuses good, pressure in system, power in/out of AC low pressure switch.

For over a month, I've been looking for an AC relay or WOT cut-out relay/switch. Online searches lead me to check under the hood at three different locations. Also under the dash and both kick panels. Nothing...

I'm at a loss, ready to give up. Does this car even have a relay? I've read some say it may not.

This is my last ditch attempt to resolve this issue. Trying to avoid it, but was thinking of tracing the wire/wires from the lo pressure switch to the clutch.

HELP!

Thanks,
    Rob

Here is a good place and you might want to sign up at SVOCOP.com too. SVO specific site.

Wow it's been a long time since I thought about A/C on my SVO. From foggy memory I don't think there is a WOT relay. When my system was low and I wasn't sure it that was the problem, I remember just jumping the low pressure switch and the compressor ran. I believe the 12v comes from the A/C selector switch.

Maybe try a jumper from the low pressure switch out to the compressor. If you say you have power in/out of the low pressure switch maybe a wiring issue. Did you verify the compressor clutch is working? Easy to supply 12v to it and check.

There is a box under the dash near the steering column that is the fan controller. It takes an input from the A/C circuit to turn on the fan when the compressor is running. One issue with the fan controller unrelated to your issue, is the full fan current is provided through the circuit board connection. Not uncommon to have a problem in this area if you ever notice some smelling hot under the dash.