Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think I've read all the posts, but I can't recall if it's been asked whether you're running underdrive pullies? Just spitballin'

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I think I've read all the posts, but I can't recall if it's been asked whether you're running underdrive pullies? Just spitballin'
    I'm not sure... I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    Have you disconnected the battery, negative lead first, while the car is running, and measured the output voltage on the alternator +ve stud to see what it is putting out?

Will I damage anything buy disconnecting the battery while the car is running?
    Last edited by congerz83; 09-24-2016 at 11:55 AM.

I found this wire disconnected under the solenoid... I got overzealous with the cleaning so it looks solid orange. I actually think it's black with a orange tracer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wire is actually black w/sky blue tracer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
    Will I damage anything buy disconnecting the battery while the car is running?
    I wouldn't want to try that on a '79-'85, and I know to not try it on an '86-and-up.

Just because that 'test' doesn't blow up your '68, doesn't mean that it's a good testing procedure.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Agreed. I guess I haven't tried that in 20 years or so.

I think I remember seeing a wire like that on my car during my build, and it wasn't connected to anything either.
    Anyways, it does seem that your wiring to the alternator is correct, and functioning properly. I run underdrive pullies on my car, and I still put out >14V at idle.
    Have you had the alternators checked?
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

So six years later, brand new 408 just installed. Holley Sniper. Wouldn’t you know, the same damn problem. I’m going to wind up re-wiring the whole charging circuit.

So six years later, brand new 408 just installed. Holley Sniper. Wouldn’t you know, the same damn problem. I’m going to wind up re-wiring the whole charging circuit.
    Have you turned it off and back on again?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    Have you turned it off and back on again?
    Not sure what you mean…

With a new Holley sniper, rewiring the entire charging system might not be a bad idea. At least then you'll know it's done right. Just imho
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Also, set the dial on the multimeter to VDC 20
    Concur. Not sure why you have the meter selected to BAT 9v. Set it to VDC 20. What year is your Mustang by the way? The early foxes 1G alternator (1979-1981) had an external voltage regulator. When you install a 3g you must switch the regulator module out to match with the new 3g. The 3g's are internally regulated and so there's adaptation that need to be done. I bought my 3G alternator from LMR, but I ordered the replacement PA-Perfomance regulator "housing" that adapts to the 3G from PA Performance (www.pa-performance.com).
    Last edited by radartek; 10-21-2022 at 08:28 PM.

FEP Power Member

1G alternators we're still used in 84.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

SOLVED!

New "self exciting" alternator still wasn't charging. Turns out my pulleys weren't lined up. After 6 years I can say I HAVE VOLTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    1G alternators we're still used in 84.
    Also still used in 1985.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123