Close

Default Front Fender Extensions

My 84 LX does appear to have the lower front fender extensions that I've seen others refer to on this site. My fenders are solid all the way to the edge. Is this typical? My lower fender (where the extension would be) has a dent.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    Jim

Welcome to FEP!

Unfortunately I am confused by the post. What exactly are you asking? Pictures are always helpful.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The post is confusing because I'm confused. There are a couple posts in the section (body) where the posters talk about 79-93 Foxes having front fender extensions. My 84 does not have them, just the one-piece fender. I see them on the aero foxes, and eBay (I know, I shouldn't use them as a reference) has an extension it says is for early Fox cars. My question is this - should early Fox cars have the lower front fender extensions or solid, one-piece front fenders?

i hope I was a bit clearer on that, maybe

Jim

I should have looked at the post above mine. He's asking about what hardware to use for the front fender extensions. IDK, mine does not have them

jim

On eBay there is a Ford Mustang LX OEM DS front fender extension 86-93 listed. It doesn't look like it overlays the fender, but should bolt to the bottom front of the front fender.

Jim

FEP Senior Member

I believe the fender extensions came on the 84-1/2 cars with the fog lights in the front cover. I had an 84 built in late 83, it didn't have the extensions or fog lights.

Okay, so did these lay over the fender? Did the 84 1/2 use a different fender? Just trying to get this straight in my mind. Appreciate the help on this

Jim

Ok I got it know.

Your 83 didn't have the fender extensions because it doesn't have the lower fog lights.

The 79 Pace Car, 80-81 Cobra, and the 82 GT all have fender extensions because of the lower air dam with the fog lights. Starting mid year production 1984 Ford incorporated a lower fascia (air dam) for the GT models that used fender extensions. The 85/86 model bumper cover is the same overall shape, with only the GT actually having fog lights, but all 85/86 Mustangs have fender extensions.

The fender extensions sit over the lower section of the fender below the molding and are bolted on. There are holes in the fenders that allow this. The cars without fender extensions just have the bare fender with no holes.

Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

^^^^^ To add a visual to what Trey explained, here one is.

If you have this style bumper that does not have fog lights, there are no fender extensions.
    Name:  IMG_2228.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  103.0 KB

If you have this style bumper, 84 1/2 to 86, you will need the fender extensions. The bottom of the bumper, below the belt molding is wider than the fenders.
    Name:  IMG_0564.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  96.5 KB

The fender extensions, which are white in this photo, bolt onto the fenders and between the bumper and fenders. There are no differences in the fenders themselves, which means to add them holes must be drilled in the fender like this.
    Name:  holes.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  56.7 KB

I'm not 100% sure but I do believe the fender extensions changed over the years. I think they are broken down into 79-82, 84 1/2-86 and 87+
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 09-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I do believe the fender extensions changed over the years. I think they are broken down into 79-82, 84 1/2-86 and 87+
    The 87-93 extensions are broken down into the 87-90 and 91-93 due to the 16" wheels starting in 91.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 87-93 extensions are broken down into the 87-90 and 91-93 due to the 16" wheels starting in 91.
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure about that. I just knew they had changed over the years.
    Brock

Now I've got it! So, I'm installing an 86 GT front bumper cover, fog light bar and fog lights. I need to find sone fender extensions. I know I killed off a few million brain cells on this.

On on a related subject, how is the headlight panel, which was riveted in to the front bumper cover, get installed into the new bumper cover?

Thanks a bunch
    Jim

Unfortunately, I can find 87-90 extensions up the ying yang. 85-86 nada. Will the 87-90 work on my 86?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vettn71 View Post
    Now I've got it! So, I'm installing an 86 GT front bumper cover, fog light bar and fog lights. I need to find sone fender extensions. I know I killed off a few million brain cells on this.

On on a related subject, how is the headlight panel, which was riveted in to the front bumper cover, get installed into the new bumper cover?

Thanks a bunch
    Jim
    The headlight panel is held into the front bumper cover via rivets along the top and sides. If the 86 bumper cover you have still has the original headlight panel in it and it is not broken, just use it as it is the same as the earlier ones. If you need to replace it, then you will have to drill out all of the rivets from the old and new bumper, replace the panel and re-rivet it back into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettn71 View Post
    Unfortunately, I can find 87-90 extensions up the ying yang. 85-86 nada. Will the 87-90 work on my 86?

Jim
    I believe the 87-90 front extensions are different and I don't think they will fit quite right. Place a WTB ad in the classifieds for the 84-86 extensions as I know there are members here that have some laying around that they will sell.
    Brock

Thanks for helping. The new front bumper cover is bare, so I'll have to reuse my headlight panel. I've taken it out; that's the easy part. The rivets seem to be bored into the plastic, though. They don't go through. I could drill the rivets out, I guess and use large- headed sheet metal screws, but that wouldn't look right.

i did find some 86 extensions. Wow! Pricey!

jim
    Last edited by Vettn71; 09-04-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Starting New Thread on Topic