Close

Default prop valve question

I have done a five lug conversion on my 85 fox using sn-95 stuff up front but kept the rear drums. So now i picked up a rear end from a 94/95 car. so my question is i know i need to gut my prop valve and put in an adjustable for the rears, but can i remove my prop valve and install one for an 94/95 car since i am using all parts from that year i'm also installing a 93 cobra master cylinder buy keeping my booster, dont want to mess with the strut tower.
    GLADLY burning the fuel your Prius is saving!!

Quote Originally Posted by 85foxbody View Post
    I have done a five lug conversion on my 85 fox using sn-95 stuff up front but kept the rear drums. So now i picked up a rear end from a 94/95 car. so my question is i know i need to gut my prop valve and put in an adjustable for the rears, but can i remove my prop valve and install one for an 94/95 car since i am using all parts from that year i'm also installing a 93 cobra master cylinder buy keeping my booster, dont want to mess with the strut tower.
    The simple answer is no. The best option is to either gut your proportioning valve or remove it entirely and use a T fitting for the two front brake lines. Then install the adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes. OEM valves are setup based upon the OEM vehicle overall weight, weight balance, and several other factors. One you start changing these items the setting will be off. Can it work, yes but in the end the ability to adjust to your specific combination will be the better option.

What is your actual brake combination as the 93 Cobra M/C may or may not be the best option depending on your actual components?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the info Trey. My brake componants will be sn-95 disc all the way around nuttin fancy.... for now

Quote Originally Posted by 85foxbody View Post
    Thanks for the info Trey. My brake componants will be sn-95 disc all the way around nuttin fancy.... for now
    I understand that, but there are a couple of front caliper options that affect the M/C sizing and pedal "feel".
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I understand that, but there are a couple of front caliper options that affect the M/C sizing and pedal "feel".
    Sorry Trey i did not know there are different caliper options. The brand i went with was stoptech not sure of the specs, and will be going with that for the rear as well

If you have gone with Stoptech then you have some really nice brakes on your Mustang!

I wasn't aware of Stoptech having an upgrade for the rear calipers, I have only seen their front setup. The fronts have been on my Wish list for years, but the wife and kids keep spending all my play money and I haven't been able to pick up a set just yet!

I would definitely recommend talking with Stoptech or Maximum Motorsports in regards to the best M/C for you combination. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If you have gone with Stoptech then you have some really nice brakes on your Mustang!

I just look at the stoptech brakes and those are NOT what i have, as like yourself i too have a wife and kids that seem to spend any play money i can set aside for the car. The brakes i used on the front where powerstop a whole lot cheaper than stoptech. maybe some dsy stoptech will be on the car

Ok, then I would still determine what front calipers you have in regards to the single piston early V6/GT, the early Cobra dual piston units, the later dual piston calipers, or the later Cobra calipers. That will affect what M/C you should use. The rear calipers are all the same, the difference is the rotor diameter and the cradle for the caliper depending on the rotor size. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller