Close

Default Correct Color Hood Decal 86GT

Hi all,

i was was wondering if anyone has any experience with the hood decals on 85/86 GTs. I posted in the body shop section but think it may be applicable here as well.

I have a black 86. I wanted to order a new hood decal but am having trouble determining what the right color is. I purchased the charcoal black but am having second thoughts as it is covered in a white protective material which is hiding the true color. They had charcoal black and "special gray". If anyone could look at the website below and let me know which of the items is correct for my car, I would appreciate it. BTW, on my Marti report it says it should be dark charcoal gray. Thanks, Matt

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/se...=&pcid=&grid=N
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-20-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Text Color
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

You might want to call them to clarify...based on the price, Special Grey might be the one you need. Their descriptions are pretty generic. For all car colors they got the charcoal blackout with the GT cutout in the decal for the paint color to show through. For BLACK cars, the GT is not cut out, rather the "GT" is a silver decal on top of the blackout decal. I wonder if that might be the additional cost for the Special Grey option.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Jason,

You are right. I ordered the special gray. It came the other day and it's a match. They should really just say that "special" means it goes on black cars only. Either way, I'm good to go now

Matt
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Matt,

It is my understanding that all 85-86 Mustangs came with a "special grey" trim color that matched the hood stripe. There was no black trim on the car except for the wipers, antenna and door handle.

I am currently restoring my 86 Jalapena Red GT and have the hood stripe dilemma. I called graphic express and they told me the special grey hood stripe is glossy and was only used by Ford on a very limited run of special edition stangs. He also went to tell me that the Charcoal Black stripe was the factory correct color, which I disagree with.

BTW, I used PPG DCC33717 Grey +DT870 Reducer + DCX Hardener mixed at 6:2:1, as per all the GT/SVO restoration sites i've been to.

Can you send a picture of the grey decal that you used? I'm curious to see if there is a shine to it.

Thanks,

Julio

Quote Originally Posted by veelo View Post
    Matt,

It is my understanding that all 85-86 Mustangs came with a "special grey" trim color that matched the hood stripe. There was no black trim on the car except for the wipers, antenna and door handle.

I am currently restoring my 86 Jalapena Red GT and have the hood stripe dilemma. I called graphic express and they told me the special grey hood stripe is glossy and was only used by Ford on a very limited run of special edition stangs. He also went to tell me that the Charcoal Black stripe was the factory correct color, which I disagree with.

BTW, I used PPG DCC33717 Grey +DT870 Reducer + DCX Hardener mixed at 6:2:1, as per all the GT/SVO restoration sites i've been to.

Can you send a picture of the grey decal that you used? I'm curious to see if there is a shine to it.

Thanks,

Julio
    Hi Julio,

Thank you for that information. I originally ordered a decl that was supposed to be "charcoal", but it was actually black. The special gray looked more like what I
    Already have on my car. They really should notate that the black cars take a special color. I haven't put it in the car yet as I'm supposed to bring it in to get painted in a few weeks. Once it is finished I can send you a picture if you want to see what it looks like.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

I ordered their stencil and painted mine when I went through the car back in 2011. I had some nice window frame trim..basically new never seen the sun stored on the shelf...to be able to match the charcoal gray. I also had some pictures of the car from when it had its first wash. The trim is a satin finish which is what I wound up with from a commercial grade Sherwin Williams automotive paint product. Attached are pictures from when I got the car out of storage...it was driven from 1985 to 1994 and then put up in covered storage until 2011...after washing all the dust off with the original hood stripe sticker intact, and then another after the repaint.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

That looks really good. I'm sure it is more durable than the sticker too. Something for me to consider
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 335
Size:  136.2 KBMatt and Julio, I have been down this road. I am a old member of FEP and was browsing the site and came across this thread. I actually rejoined just to reply to your thread. From my experience the special gray decal is not the correct color. At least when I was trying to find a aftermarket decal. I have two 86 GTs. One red and one black. I installed a NOS decal on my wife's red 86. On my black 86 the hood has been painted. My best friend owns a body shop and he sprayed the hood for me. We did not use a stencil as we took measurements from the NOS decal installed on my wife's car. The decal was taped off with blue fine line. We used SEM paint that was spayed with a gun in a booth. The moldings/all the gray on the car has been spayed with SEM paint as well. Being the car is black there was no need to worry about the GT cut out a NOS silver decal was installed over the paint. I can actually say that the painted on hood decal,looks just as good if not better than the decal. I'm my opinion it looks better. I hope that this is of some help.

Here is a side by side picture. All the moldings on the red car are painted with SEM as well and match the NOS decal .pName:  image.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  94.0 KB

Matt...did the decal you ordered come with the separate GT decal to go on top of the black-out?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Redlordamazon View Post
    Here is a side by side picture. All the moldings on the red car are painted with SEM as well and match the NOS decal .pName:  image.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  94.0 KB
    wow both cars are beautiful!
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Matt...did the decal you ordered come with the separate GT decal to go on top of the black-out?
    Hi Jason, the gray decal didn't come with it. I had to order it separately so now I have both
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

For all the vehicles they have color screens with cutout GT charcoal in color decal for paint to show through

^^^This is true for all EXCEPT Black cars^^^ As I stated above, and is evident on my original '85 GT in black....the hood blackout does NOT have the GT cut out. Rather it is a GT decal in silver applied on top of the blackout.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I have traveled down this road with my 86 t top. Color didn't match the trim. Luckily after wasting money a buddy of mine had a NOS sticker he gave me. And it matched perfect! Now my 85 is a beautiful car but needs a hood decal. Probably going to paint it. Unless someone comes up with a better color match.

Quote Originally Posted by redroc View Post
    I have traveled down this road with my 86 t top. Color didn't match the trim. Luckily after wasting money a buddy of mine had a NOS sticker he gave me. And it matched perfect! Now my 85 is a beautiful car but needs a hood decal. Probably going to paint it. Unless someone comes up with a better color match.
    You hit the jackpot with that NOS decal. Wish I had known someone who had one
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible