Close

Default 1980 hatchback door and buck tag

I picked up an '80 hatch as a parts car, but I am currently trying to track down the title and get it back on the road. Was curious if anyone could give me information on the buck tag and door tag.
    Name:  IMG_20160813_124558354.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  156.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160813_114732023.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  53.9 KB

The stamping at the bottom right of the buck tag looks like 3 "I"'s or a Roman numeral 3 with a "P" stamped over top. Is that from an option being changed or something? I don't know anything about the buck tags. I'd just like to know how the car was from the factory. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

The "HV" and "P" stamps on the buck tags are from line workers doing inspections.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Oh, thanks for the heads up. Is there a way I can decode all of that information to see what the car had for options originally?

Nevermind. I just saw the sticky at the top of the thread. Thanks.

VIN
    0 = 1980 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    03 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    A = non-turbocharged/turbocharged 2.3L engine
    259715 = 159,715th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 04/80 = April 1980 scheduled build
    GVWR - 3764 lb/1707 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Fr GAWR - 1960 lb/889 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Re GAWR - 1824 lb/827 kg = rear axle weight rating
    F0223 = 223 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0080 = 80 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2G = Bright Bittersweet
    DSO - 54 = Omaha district sales office
    Body - 61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Int trim - CZ = vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (C), Vaquero interior trim color (Z)
    A/C - [blank] = no factory air conditioner
    R - 3 = AM/FM mono radio
    S - 0 = no sunroof
    Ax - Y = 3.08:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - W = C4 automatic transmission
    CC = front springs
    FF = rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    259715 = 159,715th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    A = non-turbocharged 2.3L engine
    0287 = body & paint rotations #0287
    2GG = Bright Bittersweet exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    01 = NO rear defrost, NO rear louvers, NO, rear washer/wiper, NO rear wing
    RM = rocker moulding
    01 = no hood scoop
    DCR
    III
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-24-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for posting that. No real surprises, but it was kind of neat to see that it was for the Omaha sales district. I'm not sure how far that reaches, but I can imagine it would include Sioux City, Iowa (my home town) which is about 90 Minutes to the north. That's where this car came from, so I would imagine it has been in the Sioux City area it's whole life. I wish I could figure out where my notch came from originally. The guy I bought it from in '01 said he brought it up from Arkansas. I found a receipt inside from Houston Texas when stripping the car.

A deluxe Marti report will tell you the original ordering dealer name and address.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Cool, I might look into getting one if I can get the vehicle titled in my name. Thanks for all the info/help.

FYI, you do not be the registered owner to have a Marti report done. You only need to prove ownership only for the Eminger invoice.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

So, I tore the front end off of the vehicle today, and came across something odd. There was a piece of sheet metal with the vin # tack welded to each fender apron, near where the vin tags usually are. The regular vin tags were there, but the one on the drivers side didn't have a # stamped on it. The sheet metal pieces look like they came from the factory, because there is orange paint on them. The welds look awful though. Has anyone come across this before? Was there an error (drivers side not stamped) and they added those afterwards?
    Name:  8-17-16 005.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  134.3 KB
    Name:  8-17-16 009.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  56.4 KB

This is the drivers side fender apron on my '80 notchback.
    Name:  8-17-16 021.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  40.6 KB

That's interesting. Haven't seen that before, but I have not seen a whole lot of those tags posted on the Internet either.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I guess I didn't look that close, but it's not the whole vin #. It's just an abbreviated version. What is the purpose of those tags?

Anti-theft effort. Partial VIN was also stamped on engine and transmission.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder