Close

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

For now it will be the springs that came off the 79 as they are the only ones that aren't broken. I guess I do have another set from a 4 cyl 87 vert. This will be a cruise car not a track car. The kybs were just what I bought. No real reason, just reasonable price/perf. I thought there was a length difference between fox and sn. Resulting in ride height differences

Bump to trey, sorry

The 87-93 "performance" struts don't have an overall length difference than the 79-86 struts. The difference is the strut mounting pad is 3/4" wide compared to the 79-86 struts mounting pad that is @ 1" wide. This is why you can only use the 87-04 style struts on the 87-93 V8 spindles or on the SN95 spindles.

Caster/Camber plates are a great addition although I understand your budget constraints. Besides providing the ability to actually major accurate adjustments to the alignment as well as adding additional caster that is not adjustable with the OEM setup, CC Plates can also provide additional bump travel due to the plates being spaced off/above the strut tower. Not a huge deal with stock ride height, but when lowering a car it makes for a better ride.

The SN95 rear shocks are the better shocks for a Fox due to a couple of reasons, one they have an increase in bump travel, and two they have reduced droop travel. If you install a rear shock such as Bilstein they have a cellular foam bump stops which allow you to remove the hard rubber frame rail bump stops on the 79-93 cars.

For stock springs, either V8 or 4cyl you would generally go with the Eibach, Any of the Tokico line, Koni STR, Koni SA, or the Bilstein HD series. For a street cruiser and best ride quality, I would recommend the Eibach, Tokico Blues, or the Koni STR. They are all reasonably priced and work well. Although again I do recommend match sets front and rear.

I assume you have the KYB Gas Adjust rear shocks. Presonally I tried them years ago and hated them. They are so harshly valved that they actually made the stock ride quality worse than the OEM shocks. I won't buy anything KYB due to that experience and others with KYB on different vehicles. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but I feel compelled to tell you my experience. Some say the AGX line works well, but I have no desire to give them a try. I have had great luck with Tokico, Koni, and Bilstein. I generally run Bilstein most of the time now, but they do have a slightly stiffer ride quality. Nothing too harsh in most cases, but again a stiffer than stock. Since I normally run performance springs I don't mind the change.

Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Let me clarify, will sn struts give me travel concerns in a fox using all sn other parts. It seams there is a difference in the attachment point on the sn vs. fox strut, given the struts are the same length. I understand the spindle thickness, which isn't a concern. This is the foggy part I'm struggling with. You have made me 2nd guess the kyb though. Also cc plates aren't really a budget concern, just didn't think I needed them on a stock height cruse car. Thanks for the patience

No travel concerns using the 87-04 struts with the SN95 spindles, etc. on your Fox as long as you check for proper droop travel. Virtually every Fox I have runs SN95 spindles and struts. Soon enough EVERY ONE of my Foxes will run SN95 spindles with struts.

If the CC Plates are in the budget, I highly recommend the Maximum Motorsports units. I use them on all my cars and have since they first came out. Quality is second to none and I have never had an issue with them. Well worth the money and as stated before allows you to actually align the front end rather than the standard "Set the Toe & GO!"
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Name:  2017-01-26 18.27.47.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  545.7 KB a little "suprise" that we all find. The blue part plus about an inch and a half around it was held together with habit. I cut a chunk from another car in the hred split the inner and outer and started putting it back together, maybe tomorrow I can start aligning the frame rail back in. Not likely since our manager stormed off the job today and is trying to take staff and employees with her I think. Ahh the joys of having your name on the sign. Yes, I know I got the inner part a little off but the boot holes still line up. And who's gonna look down there anyhow. Still got some stitching to do on the inside of the car.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 01-26-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Name:  2017-01-30 20.32.24.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  628.1 KBName:  2017-01-30 20.32.57.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  647.9 KB took a short break from the car stuff to help my boy do a color change on his gokart. For the record, he did alot of the teardown and more sanding than I ever thought he would. Also it was a good buy at $699, good quality if anyone is in the market. Way better than a power wheels and I even squeezed into it. A little short on power for a 6'3 245lb guy though

Name:  2017-02-05 21.40.52.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  649.8 KBtouch of the flu, but wife doesn't take the kids to gramagrampas house every weekend. So I got the driver rail in and started rough grinding. Hopefully get some primer on it soon.

This morning the wife said what are you doing today? I said I think Im gonna work on the car today. We're both self employed. She said..."ok". I didn't know what to say because I'm so far behind. Goal today is to get all grinding and welding done, and get a skim coat of filler on. Also 40 yr old carpet lights up pretty quick, and stinks like crazy

Looking forward to more progress pics.... oh, keep a fire ext close by
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Name:  2017-02-11 15.33.52.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  741.3 KB when I was his age we got a foot of heavy wet snow which promptly froze solid when the temp dipped into the -20s, and my dad sawed blocks of ice from the yard to make an igloo with me

Name:  2017-02-23 12.06.52.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  59.2 KBthis is what is left of the old frame rails and all the dirt that fell out... just finishing up on radiator mounts and we're going into primer this weekend, hopefully paint too. Then the fun begins. Now where did I leave that engine??

You might need a tetanus shot when you're done.

Name:  20170226_173829.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  96.6 KB finally some forward progress. Clearly done by an amateur. But looks pretty good. Nothing a little sanding, and a dab or two of filler, another coat of primer and some PAINT won't fix. Oh and an engine covered by a hood will help too

Looks a Ton better than when you started!

Congratulations!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Looking good Shane! At this rate it might be done early in the year and maybe we can meet up with the cars.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I'd like to make a coffee run to the big o sometime this summer. I'll have a Coke though. I'm hoping to make the local leg of the power tour too (fingers crossed)

Name:  20170306_185731.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  117.7 KBsome eye candy for you guys. Just like golf, you can buy a better game with better tools. My buddy lent me his primer, paint and clear guns for this. It really turned out pretty good for a novice. You can see some flaws to be sure, but I was pretty impressed with how good the paint turned out. Bottom line, it was never intended to be a show car. It's gonna be a driver. A pretty damn nice driver. And now the fun part begins

I'm so glad my cobra wasn't this rusty. kudos to you sir
    Devin

1979 Mustang Cobra - IRS, MM Suspension, 302/t5
    Check out my build thread for tons of IRS info, and general restoration help. There's a little bit of everything -->goo.gl/krmqNz
    Pm's welcome if you have any questions

Looks AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Name:  2017-02-23 12.06.52.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  59.2 KBthis is what is left of the old frame rails and all the dirt that fell out... just finishing up on radiator mounts and we're going into primer this weekend, hopefully paint too. Then the fun begins. Now where did I leave that engine??
    Damn, that looks like footage from the Titanic site!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Name:  20170309_131822.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  116.7 KB so, this is a sn95 k member going into my 79. I knew going in the rear holes would need some adjustments, what I didn't know is that the 79 (and maybe others) use a 2 5/16 spacing on the rear bolt holes. There is NOT enough room on the k member for this. Fortunately I have much fox stuff and was able to pull a later set of 2 inch spacing plates and elongate the inner two holes on the body to accommodate the later nut plate. I may still have to trim down the bolt head to clear the k member a bit or switch to an Allen head bolt. I will also make a couple washer plates to go on the bottom to spread the load of the two sets of holes. AND trim about an 1/8 TO 1/4 inch of the very back of the kmember. I hope this helps someone
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 03-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Actually more like 3/8 TO 1/2, right to the original slots

No new pics but I slid in my efi fuel lines and a new rear brake line today. Of course I have a long and short line, so I used the short one, only to be 2 inches short. Got the k member in over the weekend. It's been like Christmases in the garage with all the new opened boxes. Santa will be coming a couple times this week with some more goodies. Lots of work going on. I'll post a pic when I get some more done.

It's looking really good man. Nice progress.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast