Close

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

taptalk doesn't allow 2-bbl Ice-cream cones.

geeze....

Name:  20171105_142749.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  118.2 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-10-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Picture Corrections

The seat belts keeping you from falling on the ceiling?

Took the boy out for some donuts. Both the pastry and the smokey kind. I may have had more fun than him. Prolly last drive for awhile. Gonna pull mom's volvo p1800 in and start on it. I keep lobbying for an h.o. 5.0 or maybe a new 2.3 ecoboost. Keep your eyes peeled for a wrecked new mustang

Name:  20171221_081126.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  56.9 KBgood night fair mustang, until we meet in the again in the spring

I feel like this has been addressed before, but, why was my wife so put out when she found me washing tail light housings in the tub? I needed to get the dirt and cobwebs out of them so I can get them repainted and resealed for a spring coming out party for the old girl. I really feel that today I was prolly dirtier than they were and I'm still allowed to shower there, which I did.

Girls just don't understand!

I make sure my wife is gone when I shower my parts. Then I blame any residue on my filthy self. Generally works well.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-10-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

my wife would ask why I didn't use the dishwasher...
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

That's why my garage has a sink.

My forever garage has a dishwasher (or maybe a real power parts washer if I win the lottery) an oven for powder coat, a lift, a bridge crane, and a big sink to wash more parts or me in. Maybe even a shower.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

That would be great droopie , but currently I'm living in a small ranch spec house I built a couple years ago that we moved into after selling our house. And as is standard here a garage for a camry and 2 bicycles
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 01-19-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Name:  20180203_163534.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  75.3 KB so as I go in and out of panic with all the things I HAVE to do, I picked a small project to hopefully relieve some stress. I got these, the best of all my parts cleaned up and ready to spray only to find a 1/4 can of trim black. Wah waaaaahh... I also noticed old age catching up to me, between my eyebrows reaching up in some sort of wierd high five with the hair on my head, and not having long enough arms to be able to see to trim all the fine line tape on the lenses. My body is starting to creak and groan like an old house. Geez I hope I'm not that close to the finish line already.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 02-03-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Name:  20180209_145335.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  111.5 KB

Well, here they are. Maybe not quite factory fresh, but substantially better than what I started with. I repainted the silver inside buffed the haze off the lenses, scrubbed the bejezuz out of the inside, fixed one broken stud (have I said how much I love pba?) and treated it all to some fresh sem trim black. I've noticed, that the black panels aren't quite uniform, probably unnoticeable when installed. But bugs me enough I may add another coat or 2 before they go on. Next job, pass side rocker on wifes volvo, or some sort of lower door skin on a replacement door for my cobra
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-10-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Picture Corrections

looking great!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Name:  20180209_185342.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  89.8 KBI cannot seem to find a skin or a lower skin, I thought of just having the local metal place bend me a couple inches with a hem (?) on the bottom. Then flange it and weld it where's the side moulding would cover it, just in case. Obviously I need to attend to the shell in a couple places, easy enough. But the skin itself is actually in really good shape. No rust that won't just lightly sand off. My thought is to just replace the hem on the bottom and weld it across the bottom edge. Once its done and seam sealed and painted black and in a place that only the guy who crawls under it to change oil will see it, what's the chances this turns out good? Surely it ends up better than the current door that you can stick your head through

Ok you guys talked me into It! Got most of the shell repair tacked in tonight. I might be able to set foot in the garage tomorrow... you just never know

Awesome! Yea, those doors definitely needed a dose of new metal plus fire stick!

I thought when we got together last fall that the doors on one of your early 80nparts cars actually looked better than the ones on your 79 and could work with the 79 interior trim, etc.

of course, I will always encourage you to keep saving all these old four eyed cans with parts robbed from newer less loved Mustangs. They're good for something all right -- parts!

keep up the good work!

Im planning a road trip to go pick up some rare Saleen parts and one to take it to a shop to get the rebuild going.

Yeah this door is actually from that blue 80. It's stamped e9z and has upper and lower door handle cut outs. I probably could have just treated it add new seam sealed painted it and gave the inside of the door a couple squirts of 90w. Have you ever seen a rusty old tractor? Of course not, it's coated in grease, and grease doesn't rust. But, I really wanted to try to make it "right". I'm gonna add door stiffeners off what's left of that vert hanging in the garage.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 02-10-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Name:  20180218_145326.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  87.0 KB it's almost done. I'm showing it here because when its done you wont see any of my work. Still needs a bit more welding and grinding. What i did was fix the shell then cut a strip and weld the "hem" back on the bottom, essentially the same as welding the edges for a perfect door gap. I'll show a done pic eventually. I'm not gonna prime until I get the rockers on the volvo, so I only have to mix once, and have less primer waste
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 02-18-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Very cool!

When you’re scrapping out that vert the rest of the way let me know. My son’s 86 has some rust in a few strange places and it’s going to eventually need some metal in the cowl area.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Losing my storage spot so the cobra is coming home... just after winters last gasp(hopefully) this weekend. Gonna get those shiny new taillights, rear bumper and springs put in. Oh yeah and finish up my driver door and rear hatch, and throw on those fancy wheels and tires.It becomes less embarrassing to have parked in front of the house each year

Name:  20180421_182651.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  91.5 KB new painted rear bumper and those fresh new taillights.

Name:  20180421_182639.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  116.4 KB switched out the 94 gt rear springs for (I believe) 89 lx springs that were in the vert that gave me frame rails, lower radiator support and steering shaft area sheet metal. Problem is, the attitude of this car still screams 70's drag car. The front is new 94 gt springs and rides quite well. The rear is bottoming the shocks on the droop side. Can a rear seat, spare tire and carpet bring this down? The springs have the ends pointed to the rear. Do I need lowering springs? I don't remember it sitting like this with the original ( I think) springs in it

Nah, that's not normal. It looks like you have an airbag system with it jacked up in the back!

Arent the springs from convertibles stronger because of the extra weight they carry? It could be that simple, though it just seems high for even that problem.

First the pigtail on the springs should both point to the driver side of the car NOT to the rear.

The next question is did you tighten up the rear control arm bolts with the rear suspension up in the air? You want to make sure you tighten up the rear control arm bolts (YES ALL 8 of them! ) with the suspension loaded at ride height.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller