Close

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

Super great - glad to hear it!

One by one the parts arts I bought from you are finding their way into my 85 ‘Saleen’ build.

Nice to meet you last night Shane! Definitely more extensive of a build than it comes off as when you see it in person. You've done a great job making everything look stock.

Name:  1527978723702547798687.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  120.0 KB having a little trouble with an oil can here. Both my body guys are mia. If I can't fix it I'll just leave it. I've already smoothed and fixed 35 plus years of road and life damage. Remember I have no interest in sanding off 5 gallons of filler on this one. Dave and trey I'm looking to you for advice on my oil can

If you have an area that is oil canning on you, you'll have to most likely shrink that area to stop it. Generally a heating and quenching will do the trick. The real trick is getting the metal hot enough, but not too hot. For the hood, I would try using a Propane Torch to heat the center of the oil canning area. You don't want to heat it cherry red as that's too hot! You want to get it really warm and then remove the heat and quench with a wash cloth soaked in water. Obviously be careful to not burn yourself.

You may have to shrink a couple of areas as often you will chase the oil canning across the hood. So I recommend starting off with some heat, but again not too much and see how the steel reacts. Work from the center out. In my experience once you get the steel to shrink and tighten up a bit you can often work it from there with a hammer and dolly to get the base metal close to your needed shape and then body filler from there. Keep in mind that often a little goes a long way, so don't go crazy and warp the hood because of too much localized heat or just too many areas.

The other tool that can help in this situation too is an actual shrinking hammer with the dimpled head rather than the flat head you have. If you have one I recommend using it to help work the metal and shrink it after some heating. If you don't have one, this is what it looks like.

Name:  Hammers_063.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  11.5 KB

There are different styles and types, some are dimpled, some are swirls, etc. The basic idea is the texture surface is transferred to the metal with "shrinks" the surface to help remove tin canning, etc. I am sure you can find some videos on the net that will help you with both the heat and quench and a shrinking hammer techniques if you need more information. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks trey, I have used the torch before. Like on my door seam that I welded up waaay to quickly without letting it cool periodically(do you ever do stuff you know is wrong but you do it anyway, and wonder why while you are doing it?) Well I do. I was able to get that one pretty strait, between the torch and a prybar. I was just nervous to do it in such a conspicuous place as the hood. I guess you just gotta dive in sometimes... tali ho!!

No Problem!

Just take your time and go slowly. Better to use too little heat and have to do it again than to use too much and warp it. I am sure you can figure it out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My buddy stopped by and we, i mean he knocked it out in about 5 minutes. I put a skim of mud on it and I'll sand it up in the morning. I hope to give it a shot of epoxy primer in the morning.

Well good Shane, I’m glad you got it worked out.

You saw what my hood looked like. It had to have heat along with the mechanical method Trey recommends. Large stretched areas aren’t tough, it just takes patience as you start from the middle and work your way out. The puller I used provided enough heat to allow the molecules to be compacted back together. Think of taffy, except you use hammers. Lol

Thanks guys, It takes some confidence too. Which I was a bit short on for this. I probably would have gotten there eventually, but sometimes it's nice to watch a pro

Name:  20180603_185724.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  105.4 KBName:  20180603_185716.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  84.2 KBName:  20180603_185702.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  102.4 KB well, I made it, backwards upside down and on fire, but I made my goal today. I actually got farther than I hoped. We had 40mph wind all day with interferes with driveway painting substantially. So I kept sanding and got my 3 piece sanded too. So next is gonna be some, scratch that, alot of wet sanding. I'm gonna pile up some ready to paint pieces then try to bribe my buddy for some booth time. I'd really like the hood to turn out pretty close to perfect if I'm gonna put a $475 sticker on it... I really need to get the garage cleaned out
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-03-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Name:  20180608_173306.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  102.2 KBa perfect muggy night for sanding some epoxy. Sorry for the girl beer, I've had a bathing suit hanging in the closet for 4 years, and this is going to be the year i wear it in public

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    sorry for the girl beer, i've had a bathing suit hanging in the closet for 4 years, and this is going to be the year i wear it in public
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

FEP Supporter

Name:  20180608_173306.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  102.2 KBa perfect muggy night for sanding some epoxy. Sorry for the girl beer, I've had a bathing suit hanging in the closet for 4 years, and this is going to be the year i wear it in public
    Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    Haha, funny. My wife drinks those. Low carbs. It's almost the only way to get her to have a beer with me (I don't drink the girl beers though!).

Name:  20180614_155159.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  92.1 KBfirst time I have ever left my windows open over night

Got washed inside by Ma Nature. That's a fair bit of rainfall for one night.

There were some other locations that overfilled this same guage, believe it or not. Some got just over 7"

Name:  20180616_175528.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  143.9 KB I figured since you can cook pies on the driveway today, it would be a good day to charge up the a/c while I'm trying to finish landing the last of my dash wiring so I can get the dash bolted in then spring for a new pad.

Still had vacuum this morning, so I filled her up. This mustang has air... That works! That makes my overweight pampered self feel gooooood!

Congrats! Gotta love cruising in comfort!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Still had vacuum this morning, so I filled her up. This mustang has air... That works! That makes my overweight pampered self feel gooooood!
    Good job Shane It's just too hot out to not have air conditioning.

Can anyone help out with a 79 hvac vacuum diagram? I cant just plug it in since the hvac box came from a 91

Nevermind. Saw everything was color coded, so I took a chance and hacked off the 91 vac harness and shoved them all into matching colors. Boom! Ford actually left something alone.

Dude -- thats awesome! Way to go!

I couldn't resist taking it for a drive this afternoon... with the windows rolled up in 94 degree heat. Cold air blowing in my face. We got ice cream and stopped at the pool to see our boy. I do still retain the factory non a/c floor duster, so that will be nice this fall

Hey Shane, just spent sometime to review your thread. Great job buddy! Makes my little strut tower/frame rail look fairly easy peasy. You a badass!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast