Close

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

Name:  20170318_171841.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  141.5 KB. Along ways to go but actually sitting on the rear axle and the front almost back together...with the garage door open. I'm coming for you brock!

Front springs are a JOB. so I made this and busted out my trusty 5/8 all thread. Easy peasyName:  1489877068139-1617096949.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  77.6 KB

Brother, that is some progress there. Good Job.

Thanks Dave! Now I'm just racing to get "done" meaning I can drive it safely and reliably. I'll sort out other stuff over the summer. Notice I didn't say comfortably... in due time. The ponys are growing on me and they will have to due until the right wheel comes up. I will need to get tires though for sure

Maximum Motorsports sells a cheap tool made for installing front springs. Best tool Ive ever bought.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

It may be, but mm isn't laying in a bucket for free in the corner of my garage. I saw the tool, but I am skeptical it would have worked for me with stock springs. Probably works like a champ on lowering springs. By the way I got brake lines done up today and modified my stock 79 fox shaft to match the sn rack. It only works cause of my splined steering shaft. It wasn't without its complications either.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Name:  20170318_171841.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  141.5 KB. I'm coming for you brock!
    Thanks Dave! Now I'm just racing to get "done" meaning I can drive it safely and reliably. I'll sort out other stuff over the summer. Notice I didn't say comfortably... in due time. The ponys are growing on me and they will have to due until the right wheel comes up. I will need to get tires though for sure
    Looks like we are both drag racing to see who can get out of the garage first. Forget the 1/4 mile.....we just need to make it 2 1/2' out the door under our own power to win the race.

I'm a bit ahead of you and at least facing the right direction....

Name:  DSC01226ed.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  144.9 KB

I am curious about that homemade spring tool and how it works. I still have to do the front springs on mine. My GT will probably look like a gasser on its first trip out the garage door since I have the lowering springs in the back but not the front.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

It is just a piece of 1 inch square I had laying around, that I cut notches in to go inside the spring with my 5/8 all thread.Name:  1490013145471-2004180480.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  105.9 KB through the hole in the a arm. If you use lowering Springs the mm tool may be easier.

It is just a piece of 1 inch square I had laying around, that I cut notches in to go inside the spring with my 5/8 all thread.Name:  1490013145471-2004180480.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  105.9 KB through the hole in the a arm. If you use lowering Springs the mm tool may be easier.
    I believe the lowering spring install will be fairly simple as they considerably shorter than the stock springs.
    I am looking for a "safer" way to remove the old springs. BOIIINNNG is not a sound I like to hear in the garage.

BTW....it looks like you could benefit from some steel toed shoes while working in the garage. Either that or some nail polish remover....
    Brock

When you lower the a arm completely down you can stick a pry bar in and BOING the spring out. there isn't much boing. My 3yr old daughter requires painting my toes about once a week. That's a dad award right there

I hear ya. If I had a daughter, it would probably be the same thing. Ain't nothing wrong with that one bit.
    Brock

Name:  1490908337763-142013785.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  118.0 KB cart before the horse a bit but I got a screaming deal on these.

Looks sweet.

I like them. The cart before the horse thingy helps me to maintain during all of the little crap. Nice.

Nice work and the wheels look great.

I tried all the tools I could find to do the front springs on my 79 PC. In the end, I did them backwards by undoing the A/arm bols and using a jack. It wasn't fun but I got them in and didn't lose any body parts.
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

Anyone got the 2 piece circuit 79 cluster. My sons in his 79 cobra is mangled beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheels look good on there Shane.
    Brock

Trying to install e brake cables. Our good friends at Rock auto sent me a right and left for a 94, what I asked for. The left had all the sheathing cracked and falling off coming out of the Wagner box. Shipped me out a new one with no trouble. Installed the left. fit good goes into the caliper fishes around to the cable bracket from the 94 and fits into it no problem. Right side cable, different story. Different part number??!! I don't know why. But this particular cable is the same length, fits into the caliper and routs upto the bracket fine, but this is where the trouble begins. Different end on the cable, and the 3 prong burr on the end isn't even close to fitting the bracket. Boxed wrong as I suggest, or my one and only 94 was built different than all the others as suggested by R.A.? I thought ford only had 1 p.n. for both sides. Any ideas? Do I order another right and gamble it's correct? Or do I order another left which would work fine since they are the same length?
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 04-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.

LMR sells Fox "rear disc swap" cables. That might be the difference. Either way, I'll I'll bet they'd know.

Project is looking great!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

For Coil Springs, I use this https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7045B-Fro.../dp/B000GTJ5I8
    Its a big tool and is not the easiest tool to use, but it compresses the springs and I don't worry much about it coming apart and launching the coil spring though the wall. Its not cheap, but its a copy of the original Ford coil Spring Compressor, and made by a company that makes quality tools. I have used it at least 10 times in the last several years, so its already paid for itself.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Another idiosyncrasy of 79 is the clutch pull, no ratchet... what now. Insert opinion here. Remember all my upgrade stuff comes from a 94

For the e brake cables, (Cobra upgrade) I ordered the cables through lmr. Zero modifying to the e brake handle.

Also I have surpassed the memory storage that I was given, and cannot remember where the spring attaches to the clutch pedal and the bracket. I don't even see the witness marks

Another idiosyncrasy of 79 is the clutch pull, no ratchet... what now. Insert opinion here. Remember all my upgrade stuff comes from a 94
    I am not 100% on this, but I believe you can swap the pedal and quadrant from the SN95 and put it into your pedal housing of the 79. I have not tried it personally, but I believe that's an option. I personally have several 82-93 pedal assemblies so I just swapped in the later model into my 79 PC. Obviously if you have a pedal assembly from the 82-93 you can just swap that in too.

I do highly recommend installing the MM clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, and clutch cable kit. Well worth the money and SOOOO Much better than the OEM plastic crap.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller