Close

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

Name:  20180622_201403.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  170.2 KBim getting to be a pro at switching rear springs. I finally have the height I wanted. Just need to settle and tighten everything up

That's going to look so good when you're done Shane.

I love the wheels and the stance. It's easier if you buy jacker rear control arms. Simple twist of the spring perch gets the height you want. I found some pretty cheap so it was easier than coil overs.

Also, it looks like that hatch has no wing? Can you post more pics? I have a wingless hatch that is much better than the one on it. I have thought I either want it wingless or a Cobra wing on mine.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

These springs are a (probably cheap chinese) lowering spring. The ride quality is ok, i was afraid they would be harsh. Really no different than the two other springs i tried. They seem to go with the sn 95 front end height. The stock sn must sit about an inch lower than a fox. And now I know. I prefer the wingless hatch. I always wanted a p.c. wing and now I have two, but I'm not sure I want to use itName:  1529774787016966289626.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  137.8 KB
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.

The ride height looks good. I am sorry, but I can not concur on the wing less hatch, but it is your Cobra.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Name:  20180624_162318.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.5 KB (front lower edge of door)

why do I feel the need to pound, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, stretch, weld, grind, only to use a tablespoon instead of a pound of filler? Even though I know it would be much quicker and "perfectly acceptable " to do it that way

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Name:  20180624_162318.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.5 KB (front lower edge of door)

why do I feel the need to pound, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, stretch, weld, grind, only to use a tablespoon instead of a pound of filler? Even though I know it would be much quicker and "perfectly acceptable " to do it that way
    Because it's the right way Shane...Rock on brother, it's going to be beautiful.

Didn't get alot done today. Bounced around painting sanding welding and finally put down some filler on my door. I'm trying to get a bunch done thus week because I may have some booth time this saturday.

Bounced around because...my wife, the youngest of 8 has a genomic flaw, and as Dave said should be really careful, right? So each of her 7 siblings has been handed down a defect that, when they split a thimble full of wine, makes them lose their shoes, become unimaginably annoying and likely sick for 3 days (my wife dances like Elaine from seinfeld), so i got to take care of the kids all day. Which means 9 out of ten times you get all situated to perform a task, they show up with one that supersedes yours. Plus, a faint whine from the bedroom of a green wife who is running back and forth to the bathroom and whispering commands to me while I'm out side. But hey my toe doesn't hurt so...

Bounced around because...my wife, the youngest of 8 has a genomic flaw, and as Dave said should be really careful, right? So each of her 7 siblings has been handed down a defect that, when they split a thimble full of wine, makes them lose their shoes, become unimaginably annoying and likely sick for 3 days (my wife dances like Elaine from seinfeld), so i got to take care of the kids all day. Which means 9 out of ten times you get all situated to perform a task, they show up with one that supersedes yours. Plus, a faint whine from the bedroom of a green wife who is running back and forth to the bathroom and whispering commands to me while I'm out side. But hey my toe doesn't hurt so...
    OMG! that's some extra special funny sht there Shane! LMBO!

Name:  20180702_084914.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  152.1 KBName:  20180702_084957.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  150.7 KB oh, and I got this done this, hoping to get the black done on the lower bumper later this week.Got the p.c. wing done too. Man that bumper looks out of place on there. Ps the wife says we can now take the car out for dinner. That must mean something

Boy is that going to be sweet when your done Shane! It’s nice now already.

Looking great!!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Better watch it Shane -- she might be trying to take advantage...... LOL

I always love seeing progress on your 79 that's gradually been rising up out of the oxidation and coming back from the dead.

I hope to get the hatch and driver door done yet this summer

Well, poo... now that I can drive it around some more, and it looks like a car, I have been leaning into it more and more, it needs more power (tim Allen grunting). Guess I'll have to start schmoozing the wife to allocate some funds for a new motor this winter.

Great progress.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Well, poo... now that I can drive it around some more, and it looks like a car, I have been leaning into it more and more, it needs more power (tim Allen grunting). Guess I'll have to start schmoozing the wife to allocate some funds for a new motor this winter.
    Bah, new motor......Get forced induction. That way when it hammers your old engine into submission you can get a nice forged short block because the car isn't running any more.

Don't listen to Dave! Well, he might be right for once! haha
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I've got a spare so, hopefully I can build it and have minimal downtime. That's part of why it didn't kill me to drop an old greasy motor into that fresh painted engine bay
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 07-04-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Name:  20180706_202409.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  128.5 KB got the black on tonight. If any of you see it up close, I'll show you where the stupid fine line tape stuck to my fresh black while I was peeling it off I guess I needed a third hand

We really need a like button on FEP. I feel stupid repeating the same thing that your progress looks great (though it really is). But I want to let you know I’m reading your thread because you’ve got a really btchn’ car and your work looks great.

All that said........’Like’......lol. Simple, but beautiful color combo.

Oh yeah, believe me, over the years painting cars I’ve had that issue once or twice with fine line tape. What a wonderful feeling when you see it hit your fresh paint job, huh?
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 07-07-2018 at 04:46 AM.

I guess seeing you do this in your garage and driveway kinda kills my excuses about not having space to do it in my garage!!!

Yes it does! You know i watched the car shows on sunday mornings for years, knowing full well how to do most of it and the courage to try the rest. One day i clicked off the tv and cleaned out the garage to house my mustang and now the wife's 1800e. DO IT! You have no excuse, it doesn't have to be a riddler car. Just have a good time and enjoy it. Get tired of it, walk away and come back later
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 07-07-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Yes it does! You know i watched the car shows on sunday mornings for years, knowing full well how to do most of it and the courage to try the rest. One day i clicked off the tv and cleaned out the garage to house my mustang and now the wife's 1800e. DO IT! You have no excuse, it doesn't have to be a riddler car. Just have a good time and enjoy it. Get tired of it, walk away and come back later
    I can indentify with that too. I reached the same point of realization that I no longer had the roadblocks in my way that kept me from getting to work on the car again. Once I started, the momentum just built and carried me through to completion. As the saying goes " a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step".

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast