Close

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 79 cobra build

These are two I haveName:  1491343980905-1929028856.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  83.2 KBName:  1491344060210754584356.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  91.7 KBdo you need the whole cluster or just printed circuits? Email, junkcollector75@gmail.com or call 5152313447 shane. Only half my pics made it, but you get the idea.

To all the people having trouble bleeding brakes, not breaks. I bleed my master cylinder, and have all new lines front to rear. The driver front bleed itself in a second. Then I used this to bleed the right front. Then I filled the reservoir up and went to the boys soccer practice and when I got home. Well, there was brake fluid running out both rears into the floor. Can you believe it! I attribute it mostly to the jack rabbit ed leg of my boy sitting in the driver seat prior to soccer. Sure I'll run them all some more before I call it a day, but that sure was easyName:  1491440739034-107307100.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  90.9 KB

Extra points to the first person that knows how I bleed brakes with an air gun and an old chunk of vacuum hose

No points for me, beer and marriage has taken my brains and money away. Tell us.

Cut a small notch near the end of the hose then insert blow gun and blow air out the end of the hose with the other end on the bleeder. Then Dave I have made a syphon paint gun sucking fluid down the brake line I to the caliper and viola!!

Ideally you stop prior to atomizing dot 3 all over the floor or your inner fender

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Ideally you stop prior to atomizing dot 3 all over the floor or your inner fender
    Yeah, lol.

Name:  20170409_164620.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  134.6 KB the eagle has landed! I feel a bit conflicted tossing this ratty looking engine back in, but I know it's coming out again. I just want to drive it. Don't judge me

A driver beats the heck out of garage eye candy at times. I get it. Have some fun.

I can do a piece here and there through the summer, when Im not driving it...and touch up my new engine bay scratches I still have my cobra intake and some valve covers and mucho wiring to sort out, and interior and hvac box and doors and, and, and, and. You guys understand. Better than the wife for sure. I have made an ice cream promise to a couple very important kids that I intend to keep, imperfections or not.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 04-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Looking for a good resource for 94 gt wiring diagrams including abs. Thanks

I got a bunch of wiring sorted out today. Boy there is a lot of "extra" wires in there. Punch list for fire is: finish terminating wires, get heater box in, address crossmember, get that massive 79 filler neck jammed into a brand new donut in the gas tank, r.h. tank strap, fluids aaaannnnnd, Im sure I missed something but I'll get it. I'd like to have her up shortly but the tractor and planter are calling.

looks killer with the 10th anniversary svt wheels on it. Putting the filler neck back in the gas tank is fun, I recommend lubing it up a bit. You'll have plenty of fun with that stock efi motor. I can't wait till I go efi in my car.

While its still installed you can do a lot to clean it up like powdercoating the valve covers and intake manifold without much downtime, just a little bit at a time. Keep at it man. love seeing the progress
    Devin

1979 Mustang Cobra - IRS, MM Suspension, 302/t5
    Check out my build thread for tons of IRS info, and general restoration help. There's a little bit of everything -->goo.gl/krmqNz
    Pm's welcome if you have any questions

Are you talking about sticking an early large diameter filler neck into a tank intended for the later, smaller filler neck? I didn't think that was possible, although I know it goes in WITHOUT the seal.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Yes. 79 filler into the 94 tank. It's about a 1/4" different. I've had an Axle socket, 36mm, jammed in the donut for a while. I'm gonna grease the bejeesus out of the donut and filler before I mate them. I just hope I don't push the car off the jack stands shoving it in. I have to move the right side strap holes over about an inch so they line up and get the fuel level sender sorted out before it goes in for good. I have most of the wiring sorted, I just have to start buttoning it up. I did get the engine to crank, small victory.

Oh and the wheels are American muscle, I think anny wheels. I stole em almost, I love them. I was actually looking for something more oem, but these popped up CHEAP. I really don't like the blingy wheels out there

I gave up on the 79 filler neck and pulled one from my scrap yard, a 91 I believe. Problem is, it doesn't quite fit properly against the plastic inside the filler cavity. The mount flange is tilted away from the plastic. It's almost as if the tank needs to slide forward a bit. But it looks right underneath. Ideas?

I've had the same problem. If you bolt everything together the box will flex some. So... that's something. Me, i made a round flange thingy to put on the backside of the box from filler neck to help it seal, and added some RTV. Otherwise, maybe the plastic thingy from the '91?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks I was afraid I was running into something unplanned. 94 tank into 79. I massaged gently the spare tire area but I think I need to massage the tank a bit it seams to hit on the "frame" front and rear of the tank a bit but it looks level. Plus stuff could be a tad out of whack in general from age or tollerances throughout the platform life

On the plus side. Wife took kids again and I got the fuel sender "built" and tank installed, lots of wiring done. It now cranks with the key and the pump runs, among other things. I presume all my headlights now work. Now I just need to make it all pretty... oh and fix thisName:  1493599908648-1341258579.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  139.3 KB. Seams like a good time to start changing to black interior

Soooo....just a matter of throwing it together now, huh?

I have enough together, I think that it should fire off. Buuut, wah waahh. No spark. I guess I need to pour over diagrams

OK so I'm gonna need some help here. I have no power to the coil. From the wiring diagrams I've gotten from the interweb, it looks like power comes strait from an ip fuse. No problem just jumper that for now. Still no spark. Is there a theft deterrent interfering. I'll get it figured out, but maybe someone knows off the top of their head. And it did run before the transplant

IT'S AAAALLLIIIIVVVVE!!! Turns out you need to have the bulkhead connector actually screwed together!! It's gonna t are everything I have not to blast down the street with everything jumper wired and taped together

Right on brother! Good job!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast