Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I haven't done squat...other than follow MadMike's Gila Monster build lately. But I did pick up a cool new tool with my Amazon Xmas gift card. I got a riv nut installer. All that sheet under the hood that has sheet metal screws is getting rivnuts and probably some silver or stainless button head allen bolts.

I am at a dilemma. I am ready to get started. But I have what would be for someone else a perfectly good running 302 with alum heads and a big cam. I was planning on reusing the heads on the 351w, but I am thinking of selling the motor complete and trading or buying some more heads.

I also have a brand new T5Z in it with less than 1000 miles on it. The 351w I picked up is already .060 over. So that's about what 362....so conservative estimate of 1.1 hp per cid is 398 with probably 425 torque. I could put a billet steel cluster retainer in it, but I think it would be the weakest link. So I am thinking of selling in, unless someone wants to trade a 3550 or TKO....while they are high. The other reason to think TKO is since I still haven't gotten started I seriously am thinking stroker...even if it's a 393 type. A big fun torque monster.

And there's still the do something different factor. I spent an hour the other night looking at 2.3 ecoboosts on EBAY.

At some point I need to write down my plan and stick with it!!!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Well it has been a year since I cleaned it up and said I was starting on it. Yeah right. I've tiled a laundry room and master bath since then. Floored almost all of the attic and let the stepson store all his crap up there. And I made my annual trip to pull a part in my quest to find a fuse/relay center that fits nice. The f body one was good but not bussed. So a bunch of power wires to a distribution stud. There's gotta be a better way. Well sure there is. A SN95 box. It fits the car, it has a buss bar and plenty of little fuses maxi fuses and 4 relays. Plus I found at pull a part the same box in a different body style and a different bracket. So I got both.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Alright Drew, getting after it!

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Alright Drew, getting after it!
    Let's not put the cart before the horse!!!

The wife had 1 wisdom tooth left in when she was a teen. That one is causing problems So it was taken out today. So I took off and she is now asleep. Working on the car. Trying to figure out what this is. By battery. It looks like a fuse or diode. I an trying to find it in the evtm and figure out what it is.

I'm also trying to figure out the already installed 3g wiring and power distribution at the starter solenoid. There's 1 fusible link that's green 14 gauge I seen on wiring diagrams. The alternator feed is soldered into black and brown wire thru a series of factory splices it is connected to the green wire and solenoid. So to me it looks like everything in the car is fed from the one green fusible link but that doesn't seem feasible on a factory power window car.

Ok, so now it's moving along. Today I pulled the harness out from the wires and started working to get everything over towards the DS and start thinning the herd. I also decided it was time to pull out the TSAD and that rat's nest. OMFG. What a pile a crap is in that. I also found what I believe would be smog or altitude solenoids and pulled them out. Non of the smog stuff is or has been working since who knows...not since I had the car.Name:  20170902_182257.png
Views: 445
Size:  363.5 KBName:  20170902_172437.png
Views: 446
Size:  373.3 KBName:  20170902_160958.png
Size:  363.6 KBName:  20170902_160953.png
Size:  399.8 KBName:  20170902_160941.png
Views: 446
Size:  377.7 KB

In that top left photo...that bundle to the left is the tsad harness. Most of that goes in the trash.

Hey now! That sure looks like fun there.

Now that I am this far...I think I will have to pull the dash and get to where a lot of these unused wires come thru the fire wall and un pin them and remove them. I don't want to cut off 50 someodd wires and leave them in there even if I wrap them.

Man, that's pretty ambitious. Think how much cleaner and lighter it'll be when you're done!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks!
    The wires that are exposed, like at the end of the looms where they go are pretty brittle, but still good. The ones in the looms are in perfect shape. So, I may end up using some of that tsad harness to repair/replace/add wires. I just wish I knew where they went under the dash.

Well, I found out where it all went...the hard way. By pulling the dash, disconnecting the underhood harness at the pork chop brace and fishing that beach outta there and tracking down wires with the wiring diagram and my trusty Fluke. I got all the ignition, smog, and tsad stuff out. Still seems like a lot of wiring in there. I am trying to untangle and reroute the harnesses, since I am going to tuck them. I also tucked my charcoal cannister I put on for the tank vent (it's been open to the atmosphere since I put it on...it just keeps the garage from smelling like gas.) up in the PS fender in front of the snorkel inlet tube. I also needed a washer tank, since I removed the stock one to make room for the SN95 Relay center and anything else that might be added in future like a MSD or something.

So I got a Aero Fox washer tank. So it goes in the DS fender as you probably know. And you may know if you've read thru the post this far that I want to keep the dual snorkel air cleaner. Well, now you say, Drew, the washer tank goes where the DS snorkel goes. Well, maybe it does....maybe it doesn't.

OK, it does. BUT if you trim off the snorkel inlet, the washer tank fill can go thru the opening too. When I hook the snorkel tube up, you won't see the washer. So it doesn't have the inlet down by the fog light anymore, but the other side is intact and it is still getting cooler air than under the hood, so I think it will be more than OK.

Today I hope to get the dash back together, but first I have to figure out how to power the A/C now the TSAD is out.

Name:  20170904_085934.png
Views: 429
Size:  332.0 KBName:  20170904_090001.png
Views: 426
Size:  316.6 KBName:  20170904_090039.png
Views: 427
Size:  407.4 KB

And I have tried and I can get the cap off and theres enough room of it sticking out to fill it. If I use the winter blend, if some sloshes out, will that count as alcohol or water injection?

FEP Super Member

I think you may run into trouble with the charcole can on its side , as it was intended to sit tbe other way .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Oh boy....deja vu!

Look at the EVTM. The only wires behind the dash that you really have to worry about is the LG/PK hash and GY/Y. The WAC relay's power goes through the TSAD. The TSAD section of the LG/PK is just an input IIRC. Now that the dash is coming out, you'll see where it all goes. Pulling the dash is really not that bad, and makes what you're doing easier. Find the a/c relay and make sure the GY/Y wire is getting IGN power once the TSAD is gone. You'll probably need to make a splice...pretty sure I did judging from a diagram I made.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

I think I can figure it out. It's a bit harder because I am going to use the Holley HP ECU to run a relay, basically like the tsad did. When the TPS gets over 80% or what I deem necessary, it will cut the A/C off. It also won't let it try to engage when it is cranking and I could probably even set another rule to not let it turn on until the engine has reached a certain temp.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I think you may run into trouble with the charcole can on its side , as it was intended to sit tbe other way .
    I'm thought about it, but I am not sure why. I only have the tank venting into it, and nothing actually hooked to it to pull anything out. If it acts up I'll change it I guess. But I imagine it'll be a while til it's running again.

Of course they were aftermarket, but I saw some marine charcoal cannisters and they said the could be mounted vertically or horizontally.
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 09-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.

There's good days and then there's today! Actually it wasn't bad. It was a good milestone to get the main harness back into the car and the grommet fought but was subdued and back in its hole. Then reconnecting all the connectors on the pork chop brace. Then getting the dash back in....without adding any more cracks, which is a bonus. When I was done, I hooked up the battery charger to the car and voila at least my gauges and stereo still work!!

Name:  1.png
Views: 418
Size:  383.7 KB

I did find another item I need help id'ing. This was stuck up to the right of the gas pedal, kind of behind the stereo I believe. By looking at it, I think it should be bolted to this bracket, but it looks like the stud for the bolt is broken off, hence the zip tie. I couldn't figure it out so I just crammed it back behind the stereo for now.

Name:  2.png
Views: 421
Size:  310.7 KB

Name:  4.png
Views: 419
Size:  440.7 KBName:  3.png
Views: 414
Size:  325.8 KB

And lastly, I found a home for the fuse box and distribution center. I used my new rivnut tool and installed 1/4 20 rivnuts and some stainless button head allen bolts. Now I need 100 lbs of solder and some pro wire strippers. I've got a metric poop ton of shrink wrap so I am ready. Just have to map out what goes where. I have 2 relays for my fans, 1 relay for the A/C and 1 relay to power interior add ons like the gauges and such.

I've got a little weatherproof setup with 2 relays in it I am going to use for the headlights. I think I am going to sell the Marchals and get some LED fog lights. They are in good shape and I know someone restoring a 4 eye can use them more than I can. As soon as I don't I can see a lens getting cracked by a rock or something the first time I drive it again.

Name:  5.png
Views: 416
Size:  371.3 KB

I've had a fair amount of luck just googling part/engineering numbers. Turns out, the "red box" has been discussed on FEP before.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-red-box/page2

Also, I was playing with my charcoal canister, and i think ours (as opposed to the marine ones) work on the principle that fuel vapors are heavier than air, and those vents on top allow pressure to bleed off to atmosphere if it gets too high in there. But shouldn't most of the time because the vapors will settle to the bottom. If the canister is mounted horizontally, i would expect vapors to be leaking out all the time.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Looks like that can go in junk pile! As far as the cannister....the tank still has gas in it. So I guess if I start smelling gas fumes in a few days or weeks, I'll figure out where to put it upright. I could wire up the shift light thru the Holley if I have an output available. That's one thing that sucks about the HP...only 4 outputs.

69SCJ's video has been removed, but the upshift indicator was designed to allow the vehicle operator to back off on fuel supply by lifting off, and upshifting.

Hence the somewhat cryptic dang name.

It was OEM non EFI Turbo 2.3 and non CFi 5.0 manual only.

Quote Originally Posted by 69SCJ View Post
    Here's a video:
    http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=MOV05686.flv

The light may appear erratic, but I was showing how it goes off when giving more gas then lights up again when you let off the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by GTJerry View Post
    I've picked up a totalled 85 that I'm using for parts. When I was taking apart the interior, I found a red electronics box near the gas pedal. It says "Ford Red Box" on it. My Jalepeno Red 85 doesn't have this box. The JR is a California car and the parts car is a Seattle car.

Curiosity's got me. Anyone know what this is?

Jerry

First Red (yelow Orange in FoMoCO speak) , then replaced by Grey.....

(1985) Page 17 of 17

in Mike Crokes Wiring diagrams 1979-1986 in PDFs

http://www.mc-machine.com/pdf/1985.pdf

The Deceleration Fuel Shutoff Upshift module for an 85/86 Mustang and Capri with automatic transmission. The red color indicates the upshift RPM (1800).

Dark gray ones were used on the V8's with manual transmission (1450 RPM) and the four cylinder models used a yellow/orange box (1845 RPM).

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    It goes by engine RPM and vacuum, and as long as the transmission is not in top gear.

engine vacuum has to be above 3Hg (no load)
    engine speed has to be over 1920 RPM

Well, the Holley HP ECU has decel cutoff in it and the fact that there is NOTHING factory left under the hood as far as ECU/SMOG/Ignition, I think this little tidbit can go in the stash of stuff. I'll list it up in case someone actually needs one. Funny thing is the bracket looks bent, so I am guess some wild gas/clutch/brake action cause it to get mangled by someone's big foot.

It seems ironic that my RED BOX is gray, right? Knowing Ford the way I do, there are probably some red colored boxes labeled GRAY BOX.

That's almost as bad as work when someone got pissed off I didn't let him know I didn't get his email. He said, in my email it says let me know if you don't get this or have questions.

What if I say I'm not like the others.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAIfzRWYSwQ

Nobody is as dumb as all of us.

It's Sunday...it's unseasonably beautiful weather. I should get out and work on my pile some more, but I am glued to the Weather Channel, worried about the people in Florida. Especially Naples/Ft. Meyers/Tampa areas. This is probably an absolute worst case for the west coast of Florida. I hope everyone who could possibly get out could.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    It's Sunday...it's unseasonably beautiful weather. I should get out and work on my pile some more, but I am glued to the Weather Channel, worried about the people in Florida. Especially Naples/Ft. Meyers/Tampa areas. This is probably an absolute worst case for the west coast of Florida. I hope everyone who could possibly get out could.
    Wishing you FL. guys all the best.....its already taken four lives.

I have no idea what 25 " of rain with a 20 foot storm surge is like when 25% of the peolpe have gone out of the area....

Eyewall and Storm Surge !! #HurricaneIrma #KeyWest pic.twitter.com/jI9kItZWqJ

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast