Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default 1985 Mustang GT -Sold 1962 Falcon 2.3 Turbo Build

I bought this about 8 years ago. I drove it home from Knoxville to Memphis...about a 7 hr drive. It already had lots of good parts. 5 lug conversion, ported E7's, Weiand Stealth intake, BBK equal length shorties and offroad H pipe, plus Cobra wheels. It needed some work. There were (and still are) a couple of rust holes around the sun roof, the dashpad was (still is) rotten, it leaked everywhere and the shifter vibrated pretty bad at rpm. I pulled the engine, replaced the main and rod bearings, re-ringed it, replaced the rod bolts with ARP and ARP main studs. I bought some 210cc intake pro topline heads and put it all back in. I pulled the tranny and found the yoke bushing was shot and the yoke was worn out. While in there I put a billet cluster support on it and reinstalled with scattershield since I like my feet. I put on the bbk longtubes and then found a deal on a brand new T5Z and bought it and put it in, because the old T5 had a buggered up input shaft and I was going to have to rebuild it completely anyway.

I then bought a Holley Commander 950 4bbl throttle body efi setup and installed that. It was pretty awesome just getting in it and turning the key like a late model car and it would fire right up, whatever temp and it ran great. It took a lot of manual tuning, logging, tuning etc to get it dialed in. I found a deal on a complete Holley HP TBI setup and snatched it up. I haven't installed it yet, but I am looking forward to all the features of it, especially the self tuning part!

I haven't been really happy with the wiring I did to put that in. I soldered most connections, but I took the easy way of connecting them and routing them, which just added to the spaghetti mess of the factory wiring.

Which leads me to now. I have been acquiring parts whenever funds allowed. The best part is a low mile .060 over 351W. It's a Fred Jones reman with less than 400 miles on it. It was put in a E 250 van which had a tree crush it just a couple of weeks later. The neighbor of the van owner bought it and had it for about 10 years always planning to put it in his 51 Ford pickup, but never did. It's got cast pistons, so I am thinking the cheap way to upgrade that would be to put .060 over Lightning replacement pistons in it. They are hypereutectic. I've gotten some Lunati hydraulic roller lifters and probably will get a custom cam ground for it.

I've already added Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors and also added upper torque box enforcements when I noticed they were cracking.

It's still quite nasty hot and humid here in the Memphis area, so I am just piddling when I can. I have been mainly working on cleaning up the garage to get some space to do things.

First things first, since I know the 302 runs, will be to completely redo the wiring and add the HP EFI. I am probably going to do a partial wire tuck and convert the headlights to relays.

I have been thinking of some of those replacement headlights with the halo's in them. I think the late model Challengers look badass with just the halo's on. But I am not sure how rectangular halo's would look.

I am going to keep the battery in the stock location but switch to one of the lightweight small AGM batteries in the stock location. I plan to have functional A/C and cruise, but I am trying to figure out how to get rid of all the 1985 TSAD wiring and rewire the A/C without it. There has to be 20 lbs of computer and wiring that all they do is the A/C since the smog stuff is long gone.

Once the wiring is done and I know the new EFI setup works, then it will get the 351 swap. When I have the engine out I will clean and paint the engine bay. Not sure about hole filling or Scott Rod panels yet.

Anyway here's some pics of what it looked like when I got it.Name:  cobras (Small).jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  67.8 KBName:  2009-08-01%20014%20%28Medium%29.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  72.7 KB
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 12-06-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Here's the garage a couple of weeks ago. I got the bed up to the attic and a ton of other stuff not shown in this pic.

Name:  20160806_124642.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  112.8 KB

Which finally leads to some real car work. As you see in the above, I put a chrome air cleaner on it. But one of the reasons I wanted and 85 was because of the factory air cleaner. I did some back to back tests one night at the track and found it made a tiny but noticeable difference in mph to have it on. But mine never fit right and with the tall sheet metal valve covers I put on, it was really wonky. The previous owner had converted the a/c to R134a and replaced the receiver and the A/C line just gets in the way of the passenger side metal air tube. It it's on top of the tube it pushes it down and if it's under it it pushes it up. I looked at the spectre air cleaners but damn, $150+. I got to looking at other Ford air cleaners and noticed there's a wide variety of snorkels. Some, like the Fox body, have the tubes angled down, but some have them pretty level. So I got to surfing ebay and looking for other snorkels that looked like they are level to the air cleaner and would fit.

I found this adapter that says it is for 77-79 E vans with 351w or 460. I even found another one on Ebay and ordered both. WINNER!!!

I bought another 85 dual snorkel that's a little grungy and plan on welding up all the holes in the base where all the vacuum switches were. I will sell the pristine one I have. But now I need to found some kind of flexible tube like the stock ones but longer or a way to adapt the rectangular end to a round hose to connect to the fender ducts. I'd prefer some like the factory plastic since it's light, flexible, and won't get as hot as something metal.

Oh, I had all the wiring by the PS pump all loomed up so it wasn't just laying around like that, but it was a hole bunch of looms and looked to me almost as bad!

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  86.4 KBName:  20160813_161024_Burst01.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  116.9 KBName:  20160813_161426.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  81.6 KB
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 08-15-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

So after the 3rd hottest avg temp summer in Memphis so far (amazing since it has only hit 100 ONE time) I can see the literal light at the end of the tunnel. It's supposed to go down to 65 tomorrow night! I've been working on getting the past 5 years of sh$t collection off my car. I made some progress today. And also converted my garage lights, 4- 4 tube 4ft flourescents to LED, plus repurposed the old kitchen fixture to over the garage door so that side isn't so dark in case the door is actually down and I am working in there. I got the LED on Ebay and it's pretty easy. Cut out the ballasts, look at the label on the new tube and tie all the left prongs together and right prongs together from the holder and tie in the hot and neutral. The LED I used just have power on one end making it even more easy!

Name:  20160806_124642.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  66.0 KBName:  20160820_150544.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  60.0 KBName:  20160820_150536.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  46.0 KB

1 step closer to actually working on this junk.

Well it is originally silver.

Can anyone e decode the door tag?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

There IS a car under there.

If anyone's watching, I got out the heat gun, some new air inlet tubes, a knife and went to town. This is what I am going for. Yeah the passenger side tore. Ever had that...hey that's great but let me do just a teeeeny bit more. RIIIIP. I was planning on getting another new set up tubes anyway. Yeah that's the ticket.Name:  20160904_125811.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  106.8 KB

Bout time you get to work on your car!

Know all about the years of junk that tends to accumulate on an immobile car. My vert was the best shelf ever! At least the family hasn't tried that with my GT yet.....I would flip.

Looking at your tubes has me wondering one thing. Is it possible to maybe cut the round end off of the tube that goes to the air cleaner and screw the short piece into it to where it would have a more seamless look? it might have to be glued together but I think I would try to get rid of the noticeable end on the long one. Since you went He-Man on that one tube and tore it, now might be a good time to try since you will need new tubes again anyways.

Either way, glad to see you moving forward finally.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 09-05-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Yes, I have thought of that. And probably will attempt it, since I have to order another set. Someone told me there's a gorilla glue that foams up and expands...I think I will go find it and see how it works. Actually the way they are snapped together right now, doesn't hold very well anyway. And yes, progress is finally being made...although I have to do the 'dance' or walk the tightrope. Mama wants new floors and daddy wants car parts. I have to make frugal or hardly noticeable purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Yes, I have thought of that. And probably will attempt it, since I have to order another set. Someone told me there's a gorilla glue that foams up and expands...I think I will go find it and see how it works. Actually the way they are snapped together right now, doesn't hold very well anyway. And yes, progress is finally being made...although I have to do the 'dance' or walk the tightrope. Mama wants new floors and daddy wants car parts. I have to make frugal or hardly noticeable purchases!
    I know the original gorilla glue did. You had to wet the parts, put the glue on and stick it together. The water then activates it and it expands as it dries. I've used it before with decent success on certain things but I have not tried it on flexible plastic parts. I'm glad most of my remodeling has been finished finally. There were a couple years that I didn't dare buy anything of value because the wife wanted the house done.
    Brock

I personally would use a glue/adhesive that is specific to plastic/urethane rather than Gorilla glue. Not that Gorilla glue is bad, but I am not sure it will hold up on the plastic parts and with the heat in the engine bay.

Most likely a good 2 part epoxy/urethane adhesive is what you want/need. There are tons of options, it just depends on exactly what you need/want to do with it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I am also looking at some other options that could be had in one piece. The main issue is finding something that's rectangular on one end and 3.25 id on the other. It looks like some other F100 and Bronco's had air ducts that appear to be round and rectangular and are much longer, but either aren't available anymore or cost more than I want to spend on this little project.

Who does this ****? It looks like someone went to town with zip ties and shrink wrap. Oh wait. It was me. I bought the C950 off ebay and didn't even know if the ecu was good. So the original plan was test it out, tune it up and rewire it. Then I got lazy. Then I got a deal on an HP ecu with TBI system. But I remained lazy. OK I met a great gal, dated, and we got married. And I had a list of projects NOT named 1985 Mustang. I took today off and have spent several hours retracing my steps because damn if I can remember what I was doing back then. I broke out the P touch labeler and labeled up my C950 wiring.
    And you ask didn't you make a schematic or at least write that down? Why yes I did. In a cool little notebook that my brother thought was cooler for his use and ripped my stuff out. And now I can't find those pages.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 10-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.

I also took time to dream about the future today.

Name:  20161011_170003.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  46.7 KB

Last edited by droopie85gt; 10-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.

And finally after 3 or 4 years I finally hooked up the hp ecu to test and upgrade to latest firmware. I've done more today in 4 hours than the last 3 years.

Name:  20161011_173836.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  78.3 KB

I did mention the wife is out of town right? And she doesn't need to know I did all this with the battery charger on the office floor!!!

Last edited by droopie85gt; 10-11-2016 at 06:07 PM.

I've just started using tapatalk and it's uploading all my pictures sideways....anyone care to enlighten me why?

I just deleted them, rotated them and uploaded them from my pc. I can't figure how to make Tapatalk rotate them.
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 10-11-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Hey man, do you still have the Ford part number for thar breather snorkel?
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

I have the box sitting here:

D7UZ-9B676-A

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I did mention the wife is out of town right? And she doesn't need to know I did all this with the battery charger on the office floor!!!

I'M TELLING MOM!!!!!!!!!
    Brock

I did all the laundry, dishes, and cleaned out the freezer. I'm safe for now.

Nice diversion. Mine usually thinks I'm guilty of something when I get extra things done around the house.
    Brock

I tooled around the pull a part and found this. 6 relays with blank spot for 2 more. Could get another one and get those terminals if needed. 2 fans, 2 headlight circuits, and 1 for ac shutdown with my Holley HP. Need to get some wire label stickers and map this puppy out
    What it come out of? 96 Firechicken. F body parts in a Fox body. Lol.

Nice! I just got one of those out of a Bonneville for my car!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

WAY cool
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Have you gotten to the TSAD yet? When you pull that it will greatly simplify all the underwood wiring. I just did all this in my '85 including the wire tucking, relays (I used a ford minivan 4-relay module from the pick-n-pull). It's a lot of work, but it's nice to clean it up and toss a lot of unnecessary wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    Have you gotten to the TSAD yet? When you pull that it will greatly simplify all the underwood wiring. I just did all this in my '85 including the wire tucking, relays (I used a ford minivan 4-relay module from the pick-n-pull). It's a lot of work, but it's nice to clean it up and toss a lot of unnecessary wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No I havent gotten to the tsad yet. You wouldn't happen to have pics or notes would you?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast