Close

Default 1992 Thunderbird 5.0 SMOG Pump issues

Hi, I have a 1992 Tbird with the 5.0 which is very similar to the mustang and F-150 , 5.0 and drive train.

I just got done bypassing the smog pump, but the problem I am having is the hose that goes from the smog pump to the exhaust is broken, I am curious what I can do about this since I don't want or need the smog pump but I can't have the hot air from the exhaust where the air pump used to connect blowing into the engine compartment.

Another problem I am having, which I think is related, is the car no longer shifts properly but it is intermitten and started after the smog pump blew, I noticed some of the wires where the broken line to the exhaust have been melted which I fixed the one I saw as being the worst one but it was dark and I was on the side of the road when this happened. I am curious if anyone knows where I can find a decent wiring diagram for the wiring harness the goes along the passenger side of the car near the firewall, as I feel one of those wires might have something to do with the shifting.

Thanks
    Shawn C

92 will have an aod and a TV cable. Don't drive the car until you can find out if the shift cable is hooked up
    I had one permanently damage a transfer after only 1/2 mile of driving. It slipped when shifting into 3rd and od from that point on.

I've seen people bypass the smog port tube off the exhaust by using a high temperature rubber hose and either stuffing a big bolt in the rubber hose with a hose clamp to keep it in, or kinking it over and zip tieing it.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar