Close

Default 79 Pace Car/2016 Cobra Jet crate engine paint theme

Looking for feedback on a very rough sketch as a possible paint theme for my project. Pace Car with a 16 Cobra Jet crate engine. I am trying to mix the two themes. Wondering if I should go with smaller Cobra Jets and no flames or the bigger one with flames. Or even some thing else. Honest opinions please, don't let me screw this up!
    Name:  79 Pace Car concept 8-5-16.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  109.9 KB

Looks like a pretty cool design IMHO.

I personally would shrink the Cobra as it looks too big compared to the rest of the graphics. I think if the head of the Cobra is under the top stripe or maybe even no higher than the "Official Pace Car" letter that might work and look more proportional.

As for the flames, . . . . I like them and would keep them. Might be cool if you use the PC orange and red for the colors of the flames to keep the theme going.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I like your idea, but the "Cobra" looks too large to me. Are you doing this with a "Real" Pace Car? If not, I'd like to see the "Cobra Jet" in the upper panel of the fenders and doors.

The "Cobra" head would look better if it did not come up to the mirror level, IMHO. That would allow plenty of space for "Official Pace Car" in the lower door panels.

To play Devil's Advocate, there might be some who would say that doing this to a Pace Car is not a good thing. If you were doing this to a non-Pace Car and not intending to pass it off as a Pace Car, it might be a more interesting project.

I found a Pace Car build sheet in my '79 Ghia. I have been trying to locate that Pace Car for a few years now. If this car is a Pace Car, would you have any objections posting the VIN? Or maybe PM me the VIN? If I can't obtain the Pace Car that matches the build sheet I found, I'd like to get the build sheet to the matching vehicle's owner.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

It is a real Pace Car VIN - 9F03W483327
    I am considering a more subtle approach using Cobra Jets in place of the running horses. Basically the same size and placement just not horses. Keeping the rest of the graphics very close to original. Maybe a small blue stripe in with the normal orange/red combo. Thoughts?

IMHO the Cobras replacing the running ponies might work, but I am having a hard time visualizing it in my head. My issue is the cobra is much taller and thinner than the horses, so not sure how small you would have to make them to fit in the same space and if that would look right or not. I could, but again I am having difficulty with the proportions. I think the design you have above could work really well with adding the cobra, but just the one per side. I believe my issue with the current design is the cobra over powers everything else and again is out of proportion to the rest of the car.

The blue stripe I am not sure about. It might work really well and then again it might seem out of place. The right blue can easily go with the red or the orange, just not sure if all three of them go together if you know what I mean. I would think that if you does work then you will need to add enough blue to the whole car to make it look as part of the theme rather than just a splash of blue in one spot if that makes sense. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great feedback, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by davben50 View Post
    It is a real Pace Car VIN - 9F03W483327...
    Nope, not the Pace Car for the build sheet I found. The search continues.

I'm in the same line of thinking as Trey. Like I previously stated, I think the cobra is a bit large, but might be made to fit. The blue stripe would be interesting, but like Trey, I'm not sure what that would look like.

Orange and red are in the same color palette, but blue is in a different color palette. Depending on how long and wide the blue stripe is, will determine how light or dark the blue color will need to be.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version