Close

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Default The Yard

I made it to the yard yesterday. I got the driver's seat, steering wheel, windshield trim.....and the instrument panel....OMG, that was a real delight

What made it even better was that it was 22* with a really strong wind blowing. Some times i'm just too damn stubborn. I was going to get that dash out!

To make it all complete, my phone died when i was taking pictures of where everything was attached. Bonus time. Luckily it's fairly logical where it all goes.

Quick question, is there a place to get the white plastic clips that hold the wiring harness to the panel? Or will zip ties be my friend?

I only have a couple pictures to show you from yesterday.Name:  IMG_2348.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  108.1 KBName:  IMG_2349.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  148.9 KB
    I'll post a couple pictures of the parts i got today from work.

Here's the stuff from yesterdayName:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  89.1 KB

Is there a way to remove the cruise control buttons from the steering wheel?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  88.8 KB
    NVMName:  image.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  74.5 KB

Removing the Fox dash is soooo much fun!

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a replacement for the white wiring harness clip you refer to. I luckily have a small stash of old ones, but they are all brittle and just getting older. Most likely something else will have to work such as zip ties.

As for the cruise control buttons, I thought there was a connection as the center hub of the wheel where they could be disconnected, but I have never had that exact steering wheel, so I might be wrong.

Looks like you are making great progress. Oh and the temperature here this morning was 6 degrees and we have several inches of snow on the ground from yesterday!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Unfortunately I have not been able to find a replacement for the white wiring harness clip you refer to. I luckily have a small stash of old ones, but they are all brittle and just getting older. Most likely something else will have to work such as zip ties.
    Which ones are those exactly? Are they the round ones with the little peg that pushes in?
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Are you talking about these? Name:  IMG_3759.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  33.2 KB

FEP Senior Member

Wow I haven´t seen your rebuild thread and its amazing! I love Kona Blue, actually the "blue" on my user name comes from a 2010 Kona Blue V6 I had some years ago. The car was nothing to remember about but the color was amazing. This color is a "chameleon" color, it looks dark blue sometimes, purple on bright sun, almost black at night...

I´m also happy to see you are changing your interior to black and that all the trim is looking good. I´ll be doing the same to my 83 convertible, since the red interior has faded into 10 different red tones.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Which ones are those exactly? Are they the round ones with the little peg that pushes in?
    I don't have a picture of it to show you. It's the larger ones that hold the main wiring harness as it crosses the instrument panel. Not the ones that 83GT351W mentions. I really thing zip ties will work in the end.

Removing the Fox dash is soooo much fun!

As for the cruise control buttons, I thought there was a connection as the center hub of the wheel where they could be disconnected, but I have never had that exact steering wheel, so I might be wrong.

Looks like you are making great progress. Oh and the temperature here this morning was 6 degrees and we have several inches of snow on the ground from yesterday!
    There are connections where you said, they came out easy once i dislodged my head from my butt.

It would be nice to find new buttons though, the chrome is peeling off of them.

It's amazing how a body that's in it's fifties can't tolerate being in a bunched up position in sub freezing weather for four hours. I ache all over today.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Are you talking about these? Name:  IMG_3759.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  33.2 KB
    Thats not the ones i'm looking for for this particular issue, but i will be getting a bunch of those as i go through this. Thanks for looking for me though.

These are what you're talking about. Not sure they're worth the price though. You could buy 300 zip ties for that. Name:  IMG_3760.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    These are what you're talking about. Not sure they're worth the price though. You could buy 300 zip ties for that. Name:  IMG_3760.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  41.6 KB
    That's exactly them! Thank you!

Default Steering Wheel

The steering wheel had one of those vinyl wraps on it. I'm not sure how long, but i'm betting it was put on while the mustang was fairly new. There is no damage to the wheel. It was stained by the wrap somehow. I cleaned the hell out of it with various soaps and chemicals and the stain remains.

So, b4:Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  71.5 KB

After i pulled off the wrapName:  IMG_2386.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  92.1 KB

And after cleaning the crap out of it.Name:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  59.7 KB

I'll get it painted next week. The back panel is so dried out though, i was thinking of spreading a coat of panel bonding adhesive completely over the surface of it just to give it some strength.

Default Seat Work

Oh my.......I tore the driver's seat down today too.

Lets start with the seat springs, even the helical springs were rotted through. Good thing i ordered a new set!Name:  IMG_2390.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  85.9 KB

That got me so excited for the rest of the tear down, surely there's no more rust, right?Name:  IMG_2391.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  122.2 KB

Ok, it's rotted a bit, but i'm going to fix it. I got a piece of left over roof pillar panel from a truck we're repairingName:  IMG_2393.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  87.3 KBand i cut out a section just large enough to replace the rot i will cut out. I then used four different hammers to shape it into what i want to replace. It'll take two separate pieces to replace this areaName:  IMG_2395.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  132.3 KBName:  IMG_2396.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  133.7 KB

Default More Seat Repair

There is also a small rot hole on the left front of the seat. I took a small piece of the metal from my scrap piece and beat it a little to fit the damaged area.Name:  IMG_2397.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  146.2 KB
    I'm going to send the seat frame for sand blasting before i cut out the rot and weld in the new pieces. I want to have the right support bracket cleaned up a bit before i weld it onto the new patch. Not to mention i want the rest of the area to be rust free before welding, i made the mistake of thinking i had a rust area cleaned out before. Only to find out what a burning hot molten piece of metal spark felt like on a bare forearm.

So, it may be later next week before i fix the frame. Depends on the sand blaster.

This weekend i'm washing the covers, they're on their second wash cycle now. Bleach does wonders for a nasty old cover.

I'll also sow in the new zippers on this seat cover and the passenger cover as well. The passenger cover needs a bit of sowing along the seams too.

Lastly, i'll reassemble the rear seat back cover to the foam/backing board.

Default Zippers and Stuff

Well, hell. The zippers i got for the seat backs don't open at the end, luckily i didn't find out till i got it sewn on. It takes a while to do this type of mistake by hand.

Oh well, lesson learned.

I did reassemble the rear seat back. I sprayed the foam and the backing board with spray trim adhesive(3M #8074) and stuck them back together. Hog ringed the listings and stapled the cover's perimeter. I scrubbed it and vacuumed it, and wiped it down with a damp rag.Name:  IMG_2402.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  136.4 KBName:  IMG_2403.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  51.8 KB

The driver's seat cover is all cleaned up, couple little stains that didn't quite go away. The fabric is in remarkable condition though. B4 and after:Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  70.2 KBName:  IMG_2398.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  92.2 KB

What an awesome build! Go's to show what talent and determination can accomplish. I check out your posts every time I log in.
    Hope to see more progress soon!

Thanks, more progress it is then.

I got the zipper sewn in on the passenger back and reassembled with the new seat foam, the marks on the cover are from a rubber mallet I was using to shape the cover onto the new foam, they wiped right off.Name:  IMG_2406.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  59.9 KBName:  IMG_2407.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  87.5 KB

I painted the rear seat cover, the steering wheel and the driver's seat bottom today too.Name:  IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  77.6 KBName:  IMG_2414.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  115.5 KBName:  IMG_2415.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  84.6 KBThe paint looks shiny because I just sprayed it. It's the same half an eggshell I used on the other interior parts. I didn't spray the clear on the cloth part.

Almost forgot, I got the driver's seat base and the seat sliders dropped off with the sandblaster today as well, he says he'll have them for me tomorrow. I'll weld in the repair panels after that and then reassemble it.

i should have my new spring and bolt sets for the seats today.

This is the sheen after it hardensName:  IMG_2417.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  105.6 KB

Default Seat Springs

There's a review on seat springs on LMR that says the springs are too wide. That is correct, NBD though. I took a die grinder and cut off a small amount. The original seat springs had 15 wires, new ones 16.Name:  IMG_2421.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  161.4 KB
    They are also slightly long, I crimped the front mounting hooks a bit and it's nice and tight now. B4 and after:Name:  IMG_2274.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  104.6 KBName:  IMG_2422.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  126.4 KB

Being too long is much better than too short!

Looks good! Hope to do the same to a pair of my seats some day in the future.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Default Seat Bottom

So I assembled the base. Got the new foam and hog ringed the cover to it using my new listing rods and then stretched the cover over it and clipped it to the bottom. That was a physically challenging task. The cover looks dusty in this picture simply because I had to step all over it to get the cover to hook to the bottom and get the holes on the cover to line up for the seat back brackets.Name:  IMG_2423.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_2424.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  88.9 KB I'll try to reassemble the seat today, but I'll be a bit busy with customer vehicles. So that may be tomorrow.

I'm going back to the yard tonight to get the door panels, tail lights and rear window trim.

Being too long is much better than too short!

Looks good! Hope to do the same to a pair of my seats some day in the future.
    Thanks Trey, the disassembly and clean up was the easy part. I knew the covers would be a challenge and I wasn't wrong! At least I only have one more seat to go.
    Last edited by Davedacarpainter; 01-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Looking good!

I'm amazed how well the fabric cleaned up. I've seen people take out ratty old carpet, degrease it and hit it with the pressure washer and the results were incredible. I have original carpet from my 83TC and will give it a try someday. I look forward to that but not to recovering seats. No one ever says that's an easy task.

D̶i̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶y̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶t̶s̶?̶ ̶ (Nevermind, I saw your comments and pictures on the Painting Fabric topic)

Thanks again for sharing your project with us!
    Last edited by rodster; 01-10-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast