Close

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1501

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Well the toe didn't get infected, but my burn did!

So I ended up having to go to the doctor to get antibiotics and an ointment to heal the burn. So thanks to my sister I have a nice doctor visit bill as well as the pharmacy bill on top of the pain and suffering!

Trust me I am still thinking about smacking her!
    Thanks to you Trey, I will now open doors with extreme care.

Get better brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Thanks to you Trey, I will now open doors with extreme care.

Get better brother!
    I do what I can to help!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Today was my first full day at the new job. I got to tell you, I'm absolutely loving it.

No helpers, all the work I can do, and now they gave me a key to the shop! Early start tomorrow for sure!.

I've painted five cars so far and the management is very pleased with me. They just keep giving me more work and then leave me alone! It's Nirvana for me! Lol, I'm enjoying working again.

I promise to get some more stuff done with Booger soon. I need to make some money for a week or two to catch up. Then I can buy the MM sfc's.

This week I'll focus on cleaning the rear undercarriage and smoothing the eb when I can.

Getting my 56 year old body back into full work mode is going to take a couple more days though. I have to admit, it's very satisfying coming home worn out.

My rib cage still hurts, but it's not bad. Coughing sucks a little, but I'm healing already. No long term damage! Yay!
    Glad you like the new job! Did you have to change paint lines or is it the same (Sherman Williams right?) Just curious when you said no helpers does that mean you have to mask/prep your jobs or is that done for you? Ive only worked in shops where I was responsible for everything start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The short version is I opened a door and my back foot slipped as I opened it. That caused me to not be able to move my left foot as I was trying to not fall down and ended up pull the edge of the door across my big toe and ripped the toe nail off.

That was bad enough. Then my sister the RN told me I had to soak my toe in a bleach/water solution to kill any possible fungus/infection on the damaged toe. I resisted, but she insisted it would help it heal better. Unfortunately she told me the wrong ratio of 1 to 4 bleach to water. So the caustic solution proceeded to burn the skin on my foot thanks to there being too much bleach! WTH!!!!

So for everyone else out there the ratio is 1/4 cup of bleach to an entire BATHTUB of WATER!!!!!!!!!! NOT 1 to 4!!!!

So I have a 2nd almost 3rd degree burn on my foot right where a flip flop would sit. So I can't wear a flip flop to help with the healing. Wearing a sock and shoe just literally rubs off the scabs as I walk so it is painful as H#LL!!! Now I completely understand why burn patients are generally given Morphine for the pain!

Dude, ouch. Definitely smack your sis hard

Hope both of you get better fast!

Quote Originally Posted by flyin5-o View Post
    Glad you like the new job! Did you have to change paint lines or is it the same (Sherman Williams right?) Just curious when you said no helpers does that mean you have to mask/prep your jobs or is that done for you? Ive only worked in shops where I was responsible for everything start to finish.
    I'm spraying Sikkens again finally, it's been almost 25 years since I shot it in a production manner.

Yes, no helpers means I prep my own work. I'm very thankful for this, I hate having helpers, they're NEVER as picky as I am.

I gather you're a painter as well? What do you shoot?

So work has been completely and totally btchin'. I love to prep my own work and I love to paint. My body has fairly well adapted to the "rigors" of prepping again. I've gotten so soft......

I'm going to go to work tomorrow morning to jamb in a new quarter panel of a corolla I want to shoot monday. The job pays 28 hours, that's a fairly large job for those not in a bodyshop. 28 hours at $18 per hour is nice money for monday.

I will finally work on Booger this weekend though, admittedly it'll be laying on my creeper with various cleaning tools. I'm going to scrub the undercarriage clean this weekend, maybe even seam seal some areas..

I get paid weekly at the new job so next Friday I'll be paying for the new MM sfc's. Yay! Then I really need to get after installing the new floorpan.

So, basically this is an update to let you know I'm with the living still.

Great update. Look forward to seeing the results of your creeper work Dave.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Glad you’re enjoying and making progress!

I'm spraying Sikkens again finally, it's been almost 25 years since I shot it in a production manner.

Yes, no helpers means I prep my own work. I'm very thankful for this, I hate having helpers, they're NEVER as picky as I am.

I gather you're a painter as well? What do you shoot?
    Yes I am and I shoot PPG Deltron DBC. I worked in a 3-5 guy shop(including the owner) where I was doing tear down, repair, priming, ect on jobs plus painting all the other guys stuff in the shop for a long time. The other workers where just helpers/trainees and the owner was only working in the shop 5 or less hours a week on average. So I know how "helpful" helpers can be at times. Many times I walked into the both gun in hand on something "ready to go" only to walk right back out so I could fix the "prep".

Quote Originally Posted by flyin5-o View Post
    Yes I am and I shoot PPG Deltron DBC. I worked in a 3-5 guy shop(including the owner) where I was doing tear down, repair, priming, ect on jobs plus painting all the other guys stuff in the shop for a long time. The other workers where just helpers/trainees and the owner was only working in the shop 5 or less hours a week on average. So I know how "helpful" helpers can be at times. Many times I walked into the both gun in hand on something "ready to go" only to walk right back out so I could fix the "prep".
    I think that DBC is the only worthwhile product of PPG, though not the priciest of their line. Kind of odd.

I've always maintained that I'll mask all vehicles I paint (pissed off some managers that way). At least that allowed me to check the helper's work over before it reached the booth. Which, inevitably, was a good thing.

I'm enjoying the crap out of prepping my own work again. Though it's almost like going to the gym again, I've already gone through the aching stage of my old body. Now I just have a bit of fatigue to deal with. That's getting better too though.

I just a DIY guy but I like PPG products. The last three cars I painted I used their Shop Line brand. I really liked the way it sprayed and laid down.

I've done some stuff today.

I decided it was high time to clean up the rest of the undercarriage. Here it is before.Name:  IMG_4589.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  92.6 KB

I got a bucket with hot soapy water (several times) and some red scotchbrites and went to town. After scrubbing I rinsed each small area of with a hose. It's much better now.Name:  IMG_4593.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  106.8 KBName:  IMG_4594.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  109.1 KB

While I was scooting around on my creeper scrubbing I really had a good chance to look at the undercoating in the wheel tub areas. It's all cracked and nasty.Name:  IMG_0860.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  71.3 KB

I started stripping it with a knotted wire wheel, notice the pretty blue color of the coating.Name:  IMG_4597.jpg
Size:  216.3 KB

Here's another view of the old coating, it's wastedName:  IMG_4595.jpg
Size:  150.9 KB

All gone!Name:  IMG_4602.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  111.6 KB

Right now I'm sucking down a couple of theseName:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  64.5 KB

Those will help me with my next project. I'm going to seam seal the patch panels for the rear floorpan and along the firewall pinch weld area. Of course, as with anything, I seam seal, am funnier and more attractive to the ladies after having a couple beers........

I drink with others to make them more interesting. Lol.... one, two, three, floor...

I remember cleaning my underside but i used a harbor freight power washer.... worked ok but i wished that it had a shorter handle
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I broke out the Heavy Bodied Seam Sealer 3M 8308Name:  IMG_4603.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  114.2 KB and seam sealed my patch panels for the rear floor pan front and backName:  IMG_4604.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  98.9 KBName:  IMG_4605.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  91.8 KB
    I also seam sealed along where the pinch weld was in the engine bay. I did below in the cabin and above in the cowl panel areaName:  IMG_4606.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  90.6 KB
    I also made a small reinforcement panel for the clutch cable hole in the firewall. I'll weld it on the cabin side of the firewall.Name:  IMG_4607.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  80.3 KB Of course I'll wallow out a hole for the cable.

Lookin' good Dave! Keep up the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I just a DIY guy but I like PPG products. The last three cars I painted I used their Shop Line brand. I really liked the way it sprayed and laid down.
    In general shop line color blows goats. I only use it for 9300 black and occasionally non tri coat (solid)white. Their high build primer is horrible. JB and JBP don't have as many toners as DBC therefore color match is nearly impossible on anything but prime and even that isn't great. It usually take almost twice as much paint to cover so it costs as much as DBC anyway. The only products in the line of any worth are the JC630 urethane clear and epoxy primers. JC630 is my go to clear, I use it on everything. Smells,sprays, wet sands, buffs and looks like DC3000 in a different labeled lower priced can.
    Last edited by flyin5-o; 08-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.

I read the post wherein your "creeper" work was mentioned, and I thought you'd rechristened Booger, as in mission creep.

Quote Originally Posted by SECESH View Post
    I read the post wherein your "creeper" work was mentioned, and I thought you'd rechristened Booger, as in mission creep.
    Lol, no, just Booger.

Sorry I haven’t been showing much progress fellas, the new job has been wearing me out! (That’s a good thing)

Friday morning I’ll be ordering my Maximum Motorsports SFC’s from LMR. This coming weekend I’ll get heavily after finishing the engine bay.

When the SFC’s show up I’ll get them and all of the bracing welded in, then put in the new floorpan.

I got these ordered today!
    Name:  IMG_0861.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  20.9 KB
    Woohoo!

Also, at work we have this little sandblast cabinet that I was told I could use whenever I wanted.Name:  IMG_4612.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  76.5 KB

And to make a complete three of good things today, I was told I could bring Booger down to paint him whenever I'm ready! Yay me!

This weekend I'm going to try to finish the engine bay. It'll be monday or tuesday before I put real primer on it though. So you should be seeing a few post from me over the next couple of days.

I finally got after it this morning. I started on the left side of the engine bay.Name:  IMG_4613.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  80.0 KB
    I wanted to get the front part done this morning, I'm taking my son to lunch today. He leaves for college wednesday. So I finished with the regular mud and glazed it.Name:  IMG_4614.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  95.0 KB
    Then I sprayed a couple coats of etch primer. Later this week I'll sand it down again and spray regular high build.Name:  IMG_4615.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  82.4 KB
    After I spend some time with my boy I'll get back after it. I want to finish the mud up and weld in the lower radiator support. I don't know if I'll get that far today, but I sure am going to try.

Next weekend will be all about the sfc's, bracing and floorpan.

Those SR panels and some mud make quick work of an engine bay clean up....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I continued on with the back side of the strut tower through part of the firewall to just past the wiper motor mount. I'm probably going to go back and straighten that line below the wiper motor area. When I removed the pinch seam I found that the firewall dips under the cowl panel the closer you get to the sides, hence the line there.
    Name:  IMG_4617.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  84.5 KBName:  IMG_4619.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  91.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Those SR panels and some mud make quick work of an engine bay clean up....
    "Quick work".........lol

Everything is super duper easy from the couch. The pros always make it look quick and easy.

I was sanding down the center of the firewall because I hadn't glazed it after doing the mud work.

For some reason I felt those four ribs in the center. They all had small dings and knicks in them. I couldn't stand it, sooooooName:  IMG_4625.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  87.9 KB

I threw some mud at itName:  IMG_4626.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  76.4 KB

Then sanded that, glazed it and etch primered it.Name:  IMG_4627.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  59.4 KB

Good enough. I'm going to move to the right side of the firewall/cowl area next. Then to the right frame rail and after that, weld in the lower radiator support and then primer with a nice high build primer.

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast